|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tom and Penn discuss the Payton murder, what do the two men agree is most important as the investigation progresses?
(a) Keeping the family safe.
(b) Finding the truth.
(c) Clearing Tom's good name.
(d) Bringing those responsible to justice.
2. As Penn and Stone part, what does Stone promise to do if he survives the night?
(a) Testify against Marston.
(b) Apologize to Althea.
(c) Make things right.
(d) Protect Penn.
3. After Penn gets the person out of the house, Annie is missing. Who returns Annie to Penn?
(b) A police officer.
(d) A neighbor.
4. According to the records stolen by the person who interrupts Penn and his companion at Biscuits and Blues, what was the fee for her private adoption?
5. In Chapter 24, as Penn is reviewing the case, Tom returns home with news that an attempt had been made on someone's life. How was the attempt made?
(b) Car accident.
6. Why had the person Penn interviews in Colorado been released from his previous job?
(a) Alcohol-related issues.
(b) Excessive force accusations.
(c) Anger-management issues.
(d) Drug abuse.
7. As Stone and Penn rush from the house with bullets flying behind them, where do the two men flee?
(a) To the truck.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the forest.
(d) To the barn.
8. Years earlier, from what had the person trapped inside the house saved Penn?
(a) A dog.
(b) A snake.
(c) A mugger.
(d) A bully.
9. What is the current position held by the person Penn is stunned to see in Huntsville?
(a) Director of the FBI.
(c) Director of the CIA.
(d) District Attorney.
10. Penn stops in Huntsville to witness the execution of ___________.
(a) Peter Lutjens.
(b) Huey Moak.
(c) Ike Ransom.
(d) Arthur Lee Hanratty.
11. As Penn ponders what he has learned to this point, what does Penn begin to believe the murder was about?
12. How much money is Penn going to bill Althea for investigating Payton's murder?
(a) $100 per day.
(b) $1 per day.
(c) $1,000 per day.
(d) $10 per day.
13. What does Penn promise Caitlin in exchange for her help with the Payton case?
(a) Book rights.
(c) An exclusive.
14. According to the fax Penn receives when he arrives back in Natchez after the trip to Colorado, when were the items in question stolen?
15. At the funeral, Althea tells the congregation that Penn is unselfish in his pursuit of the truth. What is Penn's real motivation for pursuing the Payton case?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Althea, who was one of the agents that originally investigated Payton's death?
2. When Penn visits Agent Stone again, what does Penn learn from the agent?
3. When Penn leaves Althea's house, what does he take with him?
4. What is the occupation of the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
5. Who arrives with the police and orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)