|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gun was used to kill Hillman?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A fifty-seven Magnum.
(c) A semi-automatic.
(d) A thirty-eight.
2. How is Leo Marston characterized when he is introduced into the novel?
(a) As Natchez loyalty.
(b) As Natchez royalty.
(c) As Natchez greed.
(d) As Natchez money.
3. What does one of the Hanratty brothers periodically send to Penn?
4. How long has Penn been away from Natchez for before he returns to begin a new life?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Sixteen years.
5. What is the name of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
6. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
(a) An incompetent doctor.
(b) A fine man.
(c) A lying thief.
(d) A dangerous man.
7. According to the person who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling him that his family is in danger, what does this person consider Payton to be?
(a) A trumpet call.
(b) A thunderbolt.
(c) An electric charge.
(d) A stepping stone.
8. What is the name of the paper that Penn's interviewer works for?
(a) The Natchez Daily Herald.
(b) The Natchez Times.
(c) The Natchez Enquirer.
(d) The Natchez Examiner.
9. What is the name of the waitress that interrupts Penn's interview?
10. When Tom was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier, who was the prosecuting attorney?
(a) John Portman.
(b) Delano Payton.
(c) Leo Marston.
(d) Austin Mackey.
11. After committing a racially-motivated murder in California, where did Hanratty and his brothers escape to?
12. What is Penn Cage's occupation?
(a) A doctor.
(b) An attorney.
(c) An author.
(d) An accountant.
13. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, to whom is Olivia married?
(a) A stockbroker.
(b) A banker.
(c) An attorney.
(d) A doctor.
14. Who is Payton's widow?
15. What is the name of the black man running for mayor in Penn's hometown?
(a) Shad Johnson.
(b) Ray Presley.
(c) Henry Lee.
(d) Tom Cage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Penn accused by the woman who throws a drink in his face?
2. For whom is the fundraising party being held?
3. After telling his father that he's bought the gun, whose office does Penn head to?
4. How much time passes before Presley begins talking about Hillman's murder?
5. According to Tom, who had Tom told about Ellen's rape in his office?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)