|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Tom when he was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier?
(a) Tom was arrested.
(b) Tom had a nervous breakdown.
(c) Tom had a heart attack.
(d) Tom fled the state.
2. According to Tom, who had Tom told about Ellen's rape in his office?
(a) Leo Marston.
(b) Riley Warren.
(c) Ray Presley.
(d) Don Hillman.
3. At the time of the fight with Penn, what was the occupation of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty?
(a) Oregon Deputy Director.
(b) Natchez County Sheriff.
(c) California District Attorney.
(d) FBI Director.
4. How much time passes before Presley begins talking about Hillman's murder?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
5. Who drives Penn home from the fundraising party?
6. What is the name of the black woman who works for the Cage family?
7. Who does Penn Cage meet on the airplane as Penn is flying to his hometown?
8. What is the name of Penn Cage's daughter?
9. What is the name of the waitress that interrupts Penn's interview?
10. How does Penn characterize the man who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling Penn that his family is in danger?
(a) As a friend.
(b) As a liar.
(c) As an actor.
(d) As a thief.
11. What company is considering Natchez for its new plant location?
12. How much money does Penn end up paying to Ray Presley to buy Presley's gun?
13. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, who rings Tom's doorbell?
14. What is the nickname of the person who follows Penn home from the fundraiser?
(a) The Spike.
(b) The Matador.
(c) The Terminator.
(d) The Machine.
15. When Penn has a dream that someone is trying to tell him something, whom does Penn see in his dream?
(a) Ruby Flowers.
(b) Caitlin Masters.
(c) Olivia Marston.
(d) Peggy Cage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Payton's mother?
2. Who is Payton's widow?
3. How is Leo Marston characterized when he is introduced into the novel?
4. For whom is the fundraising party being held?
5. While Penn was still in high school, who often worked for the father of the girl Penn was involved with?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)