|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the two women tell Penn the story of Payton's murder, how does Penn react?
(a) Penn is outraged.
(b) Penn is contrite.
(c) Penn is sympathetic.
(d) Penn is in denial.
2. Who does the person following Penn believe was responsible for the murder of Payton?
(a) Leo Marston.
(b) Sam Jacobs.
(c) John Portman.
(d) Shad Johnson.
3. When Penn suggests to his father that they need to talk, where do the two men go?
(a) The back porch.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The library.
(d) The dining room.
4. What is the cause of death listed on Payton's death certificate?
(a) Smoke inhalation.
5. How did Payton die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was in an accident.
(c) He suffocated.
(d) He burned to death.
6. What is the occupation of the person who follows Penn home from the fundraiser?
(a) He's the mayor.
(b) He's an FBI agent.
(c) He's an investigator.
(d) He's the sheriff.
7. Who is the district attorney in Natchez?
(a) Ray Presley.
(b) Austin Mackey.
(c) Leo Marston.
(d) John Portman.
8. What is the occupation of the father of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
9. According to the person Penn goes to see after telling his father that he's bought the gun, what happened to the Payton file?
(a) It was taken to Washington.
(b) It was destroyed in a fire.
(c) It was shredded.
(d) It was sent to storage.
10. After committing a racially-motivated murder in California, where did Hanratty and his brothers escape to?
11. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
(a) A fine man.
(b) An incompetent doctor.
(c) A dangerous man.
(d) A lying thief.
12. What is the name of the black woman who works for the Cage family?
13. According to Penn's friend at the FBI, who sealed Payton's case file?
(a) J. Edgar Hoover.
(b) John Portman.
(c) President Nixon.
(d) Ronald Rundell.
14. Where do Penn and his interviewer end up meeting?
(a) At Biscuits and Bars.
(b) At Biscuits and Hotcakes.
(c) At Biscuits and Blues.
(d) At Biscuits and Buns.
15. What is the name of the paper that Penn's interviewer works for?
(a) The Natchez Examiner.
(b) The Natchez Enquirer.
(c) The Natchez Times.
(d) The Natchez Daily Herald.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the person who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling him that his family is in danger, what does this person consider Payton to be?
2. Who is Payton's mother?
3. When Penn gets in the car of the person who was following Penn home from the fundraiser, where do the two men go?
4. Who is the current mayor of Natchez?
5. Which of the characters at the fundraising party is an alcoholic?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)