|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name is on the list of political prisoners being held by the French?
2. What does Queen Mary begin to feel anxious about in spring, 1555?
3. What does Mrs. Carpenter disclose to Hannah after Hannah had been married for two months?
4. Who does Elizabeth flirt with in the Queen's absence in 1555?
5. What does Hannah learn about the Queen in the summer of 1557?
Short Essay Questions
1. Realizing that her health is in decline, what does Mary ask Hannah to do?
2. On what charge is Hannah arrested? Who vouches for her when she is brought before Bishop Bonner? After new laws are passed which widen the criteria for arrest for heresy, Hannah is arrested.
3. How is Mrs. Carpenter helpful when Hannah's father passes away?
4. When do Hannah and Daniel marry, and what sort of ceremonies do they have?
5. Under what circumstances does Mary agree to name Elizabeth her heir?
6. What does Daniel tell Hannah when her father becomes seriously ill?
7. What is Elizabeth's behavior like while the Queen is in confinement?
8. In what way is Philip's relationship with Elizabeth a political move?
9. What news does Lord Dudley bring when he returns from court in February 1558?
10. After being found innocent of the charges against her, what does Hannah decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different roles of the English monarchy during the Tudor Era? What titles do Elizabeth and Mary hold during the novel? What title do they both covet? How does Elizabeth try to steal Mary's title away from her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel. What is the genre of the novel and what are the elements of this kind of genre? What are some other titles of the same genre? What do these works have in common?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Edward's and Mary's court. What are some of the different positions in court? What characters in the novel are part of the court? What is Hannah's role in court? Does she enjoy staying at court? Why or why not?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)