|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Queen Mary announce her pregnancy?
2. Why do the country people wish for Mary to ascend to the throne?
3. How does Mary's court change after Elizabeth leaves in 1553?
4. What does Mary reassure the people of in winter, 1554?
5. What is the name of Hannah's fiancé?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hannah break her engagement to Daniel?
2. What happens politically after the death of King Edward?
3. Why is Mary unable to raise an army to defend herself in Winter 1554?
4. What does Hannah have a vision of on the way to Mary's castle with Elizabeth?
5. What was the goal of the rebel army that advanced to London in winter 1553?
6. What news trickles in to Woodstock while Hannah is staying the winter there with Elizabeth?
7. What is Mary required to do following the uprising against her in Winter 1554?
8. Why is Hannah sent to the English court in the summer of 1548?
9. Why does Hannah return to serve Elizabeth after agreeing to go to France?
10. Who does Mary decide to marry? What are Mary's feelings about marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different roles of the English monarchy during the Tudor Era? What titles do Elizabeth and Mary hold during the novel? What title do they both covet? How does Elizabeth try to steal Mary's title away from her?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of inaccuracies in the novel when one looks at how history actually happened. Why might Gregory have chosen to change a few of the elements of the story? Does this benefit the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Edward's and Mary's court. What are some of the different positions in court? What characters in the novel are part of the court? What is Hannah's role in court? Does she enjoy staying at court? Why or why not?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)