|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hannah think of the Sussex countryside?
(a) It reminds her of Spain.
(b) It's the most beautiful place she has been.
(c) She is bored by it.
(d) Her mother would have enjoyed it.
2. Whose name is on the list of political prisoners being held by the French?
(a) Hannah's father's.
(b) Mr. Dee's.
(c) Lord Dudley's.
3. What must Elizabeth promise to do for Mary to name her as heir?
(a) Break her ties with the Dudleys.
(b) Endorse the Catholic religion.
(c) Admit to her role in the rebel uprisings.
(d) Marry and have children.
4. How does Hannah escape the invasion?
(a) She hides in a cellar.
(b) She runs into the forest.
(c) She takes a rowboat out to sea.
(d) She hides on Lord Dudley's boat.
5. What had Sir William Pickering attempted to do but failed?
(a) Overthrow the queen.
(b) Lure the King into having an affair.
(c) Hold negotiations between England and France.
(d) Have Elizabeth imprisoned.
6. Who does Hannah meet on the street on her way to Daniel's home during the invasion?
(a) Lord Dudley.
(b) Daniel's mistress.
(c) Daniel's eldest sister.
(d) Mrs. Carpenter.
7. What does not improve the Queen's health in autumn, 1558?
(a) The birth of her child.
(b) The tonics she uses.
(c) The change of venue.
(d) Keeping her in hightly heated rooms.
8. Who is Amy?
(a) Hannah's only relative in England.
(b) Daniel's mistress.
(c) Lord Dudley's wife.
(d) One of the Queen's maids.
9. Who does Hannah catch entering Elizabeth's chambers through a secret passage?
(a) Robert Dudley.
(c) Cardinal Pole.
(d) Mr. Dee.
10. What does Mrs. Carpenter disclose to Hannah after Hannah had been married for two months?
(a) That Daniel has a son with someone else.
(b) That Daniel is not her real son.
(c) That Daniel has joined the army.
(d) That her daughters dislike and distrust Hannah.
11. What does Mrs. Carpenter confront Hannah about two months after her wedding?
(a) That Daniel is losing weight and must not be eating properly.
(b) That Hannah is not yet pregnant.
(c) That Hannah's father is suspected of stealing from the Carpenters.
(d) That Hannah intends to return to England.
12. Why does Elizabeth no longer fear her sister as of spring, 1555?
(a) She is protected by King Philip.
(b) She has the support of the English people.
(c) She will soon be moving abroad.
(d) She knows Mary hasn't got long to live.
13. When does France lead a counterattack on the city of Calais?
14. Where does Hannah have a vision which causes her to faint in autumn, 1556?
(a) At church.
(b) In the print shop.
(c) In the market.
(d) At the Carpenters' house.
15. Who is Marie?
(a) A Carpenter cousin.
(b) A night nurse.
(c) One of Queen Mary's maids.
(d) Hannah's next-door neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah do to draw less attention to her status as single women?
2. When does Hannah like to go horse-riding in the spring of 1555?
3. How does Hannah feel during the months following her father's death?
4. Who is Kat Ashley?
5. Who is killed in front of Hannah during the invasion?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)