|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was chosen by the followers of Anne Hutchinson to serve as the official spokesperson for her views in 1636?
2. When Roger Williams first arrived at the colony, what minister and teacher of the Boston church was returning to England to fetch his wife?
3. Where was Anne Hutchinson born?
4. Thomas Dudley had been whose steward in England?
5. What “testy pastor of Ipswich, held himself unworthy to wipe John Cotton’s slippers,” according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Massachusetts Bay Company charter grant in terms of the establishment of a government for the colony, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
2. When was the “Body of Liberties” adopted in Massachusetts? What did this document contain?
3. Where did Roger Williams go when he left Plymouth? Where did he begin a church and start to gain power, according to the author in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
4. What power did the clergy have in the Massachusetts settlement, according to the author in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
5. What led up to the banishment of Reverend Wheelwright, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
6. How was Winthrop’s system of elections established, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”? On what grounds was this system established?
7. How does the author describe the changes in the colony during the years when John Winthrop was overthrown as governor in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
8. What decision did John Winthrop make regarding the English Civil War? Why?
9. What type of government did the Massachusetts Bay Company charter entitle the officers to establish for the colony, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
10. How did the Puritans perceive the relationship between church and state, according to the author in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the freedoms granted by the Massachusetts Bay Colony charter regarding the establishment of government in the settlement. What did the charter stipulate in terms of meetings of the governing body? How was “government” defined in terms of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches we have today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and discuss the regulations of Puritan society established in the early days of the settlement in Boston. Why were Puritans forbidden from living alone? How was the treatment of non-Puritans different than that of followers? What did the Puritans do when they weren’t working – for “fun”? How frequently did the Puritans attend church?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reign of King Charles I and Charles’s influence on the religious atmosphere of England. How did Charles view Catholicism? What was Charles’s lineage? What was disliked about his marriage to the Princess of France?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)