|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was elected deputy governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1634?
2. What individual, who was later to be honored as Cromwell’s chaplain, urged that John Cotton be commissioned to “go through the Bible, and raise marginal notes upon all the knotty places of the scriptures,” according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
3. What minister does the author describe in 1633 as giving a lecture in Boston when he was questioned on whether or not women ought to wear veils in church in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
4. What pastor in Watertown and Winthrop's neighbor back in England caused problems by teaching that the Roman Catholic Church was a legitimate body of Christians?
5. Thomas Dudley had been whose steward in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Roger Williams go when he left Plymouth? Where did he begin a church and start to gain power, according to the author in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
2. When did Roger Williams come to New England? How was his arrival in the colony described in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
3. What was innovative and potentially controversial about the system of government established by Winthrop and his associates, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
4. What did the representatives learn when they studied the charter in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
5. What led up to the banishment of Reverend Wheelwright, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
6. How is the Reverend John Cotton described in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”? What was Cotton’s relationship to Anne Hutchinson?
7. How does the author describe Anne Hutchinson’s Antinomian beliefs in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
8. What power did the clergy have in the Massachusetts settlement, according to the author in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
9. What decision did John Winthrop make regarding the English Civil War? Why?
10. What type of government did the Massachusetts Bay Company charter entitle the officers to establish for the colony, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Arbella and the voyage of John Winthrop’s fleet to New England. How many ships were in the fleet? How many passengers? What other provisions were provided? Where did the passengers eat and sleep? How many died on the voyage?
Essay Topic 2
Define “Arminianism” and “Calvinism” and discuss the histories of each In what ways were these belief systems similar? How did they differ? Who was John Calvin? When did Calvin publish The Institutes of the Christian Religion? How did this publication change religion in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biography, work, and beliefs of Thomas Dudley. What was Dudley’s role in the governing body of the Massachusetts Colony? What led to the animosity between Dudley and Winthrop? How did this rivalry affect government and government policy in the colony?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)