|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Roger Williams studied divinity?
2. When did the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony finally order Roger Williams to leave the colony within six weeks?
3. Thomas Dudley had been whose steward in England?
4. What individual, who was later to be honored as Cromwell’s chaplain, urged that John Cotton be commissioned to “go through the Bible, and raise marginal notes upon all the knotty places of the scriptures,” according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
5. What two prominent ministers were chosen to carry the wisdom of the colony back to the mother country in the light of the troubles faced in 1641, according to the author in Chapter 12: “New England or Old”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John Winthrop’s choice regarding the English Civil War prove to be advantageous to the Puritans, as discussed by the author in Chapter 12: “New England or Old”?
2. What were the faults of John Endecott and Thomas Dudley as legislators, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
3. How was Winthrop’s system of elections established, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”? On what grounds was this system established?
4. What forced John Winthrop to reveal the stipulations of the charter to the colonists, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
5. How does the author describe Anne Hutchinson’s Antinomian beliefs in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
6. What led up to the banishment of Reverend Wheelwright, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
7. What ordinance does the author describe Nathaniel Ward as having introduced in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
8. What power did the clergy have in the Massachusetts settlement, according to the author in Chapter 11: “The New England Way”?
9. Why did John Winthrop want to retire from government in 1640, according to the author in Chapter 12: “New England or Old”?
10. What problems arose in the Massachusetts colony as a result of the outbreak of the English Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social, economic, and career elements of John Winthrop’s life in London in his twenties and thirties. How does the author characterize Winthrop’s one year of marriage to his second wife? When did John marry Margaret Tyndal? Why did her family initially oppose the marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the system of elections established by John Winthrop and the other leaders of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. What influenced these leaders to adopt a system of voting for leadership? How did these systems find their way into what would eventually become the United States system of government? What was innovative about the electoral system adopted?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Arbella and the voyage of John Winthrop’s fleet to New England. How many ships were in the fleet? How many passengers? What other provisions were provided? Where did the passengers eat and sleep? How many died on the voyage?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)