|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas Dudley was angered that John Winthrop had allowed the people of Watertown to build a weir where, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
2. Who was elected governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1635?
3. When did the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony finally order Roger Williams to leave the colony within six weeks?
4. Who is described in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed” as the “judicious governor of the colony” at Plymouth that found Roger Williams to be godly and zealous?
5. What was Anne Hutchinson’s maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the “Body of Liberties” adopted in Massachusetts? What did this document contain?
2. Where did Roger Williams go when he left Plymouth? Where did he begin a church and start to gain power, according to the author in Chapter 9: “Separation Unleashed”?
3. What was innovative and potentially controversial about the system of government established by Winthrop and his associates, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
4. How was Winthrop’s system of elections established, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”? On what grounds was this system established?
5. What led up to the banishment of Reverend Wheelwright, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
6. How does the author describe Anne Hutchinson’s Antinomian beliefs in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”?
7. What were the faults of John Endecott and Thomas Dudley as legislators, according to the author in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
8. What was the impact of the dispute between John Winthrop and the representatives regarding the stipulations of the charter, as seen in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
9. What problems arose in the Massachusetts colony as a result of the outbreak of the English Civil War?
10. How is the Reverend John Cotton described in Chapter 10: “Seventeenth-Century Nihilism”? What was Cotton’s relationship to Anne Hutchinson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social, economic, and career elements of John Winthrop’s life in London in his twenties and thirties. How does the author characterize Winthrop’s one year of marriage to his second wife? When did John marry Margaret Tyndal? Why did her family initially oppose the marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Arbella and the voyage of John Winthrop’s fleet to New England. How many ships were in the fleet? How many passengers? What other provisions were provided? Where did the passengers eat and sleep? How many died on the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reign of King Charles I and Charles’s influence on the religious atmosphere of England. How did Charles view Catholicism? What was Charles’s lineage? What was disliked about his marriage to the Princess of France?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)