|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What well-known Suffolk antiquary and friend of Winthrop told him of going to the New World, "The church and common welthe heere at home, hath more neede of your best abyllitie in these dangerous tymes, than any remote plantation"?
(a) Thomas Fones
(b) William Laud
(c) Robert Ryece
(d) Isaac Johnson
2. What was the name of John Winthrop’s second wife?
(a) Thomasine Clopton
(b) Mary Tudor
(c) Anne Hutchinson
(d) Lucy Winthrop
3. The author says of Winthrop in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place” that he “did not aim at power for the sake of power, but he longed to” do what?
(a) Use his talents for the creation of wealth
(b) Found a religious Eden
(c) Use his talents in the cause of God
(d) Separate the colony from control of the King
4. What son of John Winthrop’s died by drowning just a few days after the arrival in the New World?
(a) James Winthrop
(b) John Winthrop, Jr
(c) Henry Winthrop
(d) Peter Winthrop
5. How old was John Winthrop when he left for college?
6. Where had John Winthrop’s second eldest son, Henry, gone to make his fortune but returned in 1629 with expensive habits and no fortune?
7. On what date did John Winthrop marry Margaret Tyndal?
(a) May 15, 1629
(b) July 28, 1629
(c) April 29, 1618
(d) April 7, 1630
8. The Charter of the Virginia Company of London was an English joint stock company established by royal charter by whom?
(a) Queen Elizabeth I
(b) King Charles I
(c) King James I
(d) Queen Mary
9. Who were the other three candidates for governor of the new colony that the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Company voted on, along with John Winthrop, prior to leaving England?
(a) Roger Ludlow, John Wilson, and William Bradford
(b) John Humfrey, Isaac Johnson, and Sir Richard Saltonstall
(c) William Bradford, John Haynes, and John Cotton
(d) William Blackstone, Richard Clough, and Nicholas Knopp
10. When did James I ascend the throne of England?
11. How many years before John Winthrop’s arrival in the New World had Samuel Maverick arrived with his bride and built a house?
(a) 6 years before
(b) 1 year before
(c) 3 years before
(d) 10 years before
12. The first glimpse that the Puritans aboard John Winthrop’s ships got of New England was the hills of what Maine town, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
(c) Mount Desert
13. Margaret Tyndal’s father held what position when she married John Winthrop?
(b) Chancery judge
(c) Wheat farmer
(d) Common attorney
14. Arminianism is based on the theological ideas of what Dutch Reformed theologian?
(a) Elmore Arminian
(b) Isaac Arminus
(c) James Arminus
(d) Jacobus Arminius
15. In what year did Adam Winthrop purchase the confiscated monastery at Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did John Winthrop’s first wife, Mary Forth Winthrop, die?
2. According to the author, Arminianism was a belief that men could do what by their own will power?
3. What was the name of the London apothecary that John Winthrop’s older sister Anne married?
4. When was Mary Tudor born?
5. Where does the Merrimack River empty into the Atlantic Ocean?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)