|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13: Foreign Affairs.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James Luxford worked for John Winthrop in what position?
(a) His butler
(b) His carriage-driver
(c) Overseer of his lands
(d) His Deputy Governor
2. What was the name of the Charlestown widow that John Winthrop married after the death of his wife Margaret?
(a) Thomasine Clopton
(b) Anne Hutchinson
(c) Martha Coytmore
(d) Lucy Johnson
3. The first church within the boundaries of Massachusetts Bay to be founded in the congregational manner was "gathered" on what date, according to the author in Chapter 6: “A Special Commission”?
(a) July 20, 1629
(b) May 15, 1629
(c) December 6, 1615
(d) March 28, 1605
4. The amount of debts that John Winthrop ended up with as a result of James Luxford’s actions was how much, according to the author in Chapter 12: “New England or Old”?
(a) 2,500 pounds
(b) 1,000 pounds
(c) 550 pounds
(d) 3,000 pounds
5. The Massachuset, Nauset, and Wampanoag people spoke using what subfamily of Native American languages?
(a) The Algonquian languages
(b) The Creole languages
(c) The Tupi languages
(d) The Quechua languages
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had been governing the colony under instruction from the company in England before Winthrop and the others arrived, according to the author in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government”?
2. Whom did Charles I appoint as Bishop of London in 1628?
3. In 1629, Roger Williams was chaplain to whom in Essex?
4. What was the name of Anne Hutchinson’s brother-in-law that was a minister whom she admired?
5. Upon arriving in the New World, John Winthrop’s shops sailed through the channel between Bakers Island and Little Island and cast anchor where, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)