|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13: Foreign Affairs.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the author say in Chapter 7: “A Due Form of Government” was fined five pounds “for takeing upon him to cure the scurvey by a water of noe worth nor value, which hee solde att a very deare rate”?
(a) Nicholas Knopp
(b) Nathaniel Ward
(c) Roger Williams
(d) George Phillips
2. The author asserts in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place” that the founding of colonies was notoriously what kind of activity?
(a) A separatist activity
(b) A religious activity
(c) An unprofitable activity
(d) An economically profitable activity
3. When did Mary Tudor die?
4. According to the author, Arminianism was a belief that men could do what by their own will power?
(a) Respond to God’s will
(b) Deny grace
(c) Achieve faith and win salvation
(d) Endorse one another’s salvation
5. Thomas Dudley had been whose steward in England?
(a) The Duke of Canbury’s
(b) The Earl if Ipswich’s
(c) The Duchess of York’s
(d) The Earl of Lincoln’s
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Charlestown widow that John Winthrop married after the death of his wife Margaret?
2. How many years before John Winthrop’s arrival in the New World had Samuel Maverick arrived with his bride and built a house?
3. Who is said to have warned Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Company in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place,” saying "The pipe goeth sweete tyll the Byrde be in the nett, many bewtifull hopes are sett before your eyes to allewer you to danger"?
4. What was the name of John and Margaret Winthrop’s youngest son that stayed with Margaret when John Winthrop first set out for New England?
5. What individual that later became a leading figure in Connecticut is said to have grown “into passion and said, that then we should have no government, but there would be an interim, wherein every man might do what he pleased” in Chapter 8: “Leniency Rebuked”?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)