|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom does the author say in Chapter 2: “Evil and Declining Times,” “[T]heir defiance was also a desertion. They failed their fellow men. They abandoned a charity to which the Puritans held fast”?
(a) The Calvinists
(b) The separatists
(c) The Presbyterians
(d) The Congregationalists
2. On what date did John Winthrop write home to Margaret from London about the prospect of moving to New England, saying, “If the Lord seeth it wil be good for us, he will provide a shelter and a hidinge place for us and ours”?
(a) February 2, 1626
(b) October 19, 1630
(c) May 15, 1629
(d) August 23, 1630
3. In the agreement worked out with the Massachusetts Bay Company’s investors, it was agreed that the company would be managed by undertakers. How many of these undertakers would be stationed in England?
4. How many of the previous Salem settlers had died in the preceding winter when John Winthrop arrived with his fleet, according to the author in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
5. Who is described as “one of the Puritans’ most illustrious preachers” and spoke before the House of Commons in the summer of 1625?
(a) Reverend George Phillips
(b) Reverend Thomas Shepard
(c) Reverend John Endecott
(d) Reverend John Preston
Short Answer Questions
1. When did James I ascend the throne of England?
2. The Charter of the Virginia Company of London was an English joint stock company established by royal charter by whom?
3. In order to secure the Massachusetts Bay Company’s investors, an agreement was finally worked out whereby the remaining resources of the company would be managed for seven years by "undertakers." How many of these undertakers would be established in Massachusetts?
4. Where does the Merrimack River empty into the Atlantic Ocean?
5. The charter granted to the New England Company in 1628 authorized the company to settle and govern the area from three miles south of the Charles River to what location?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)