|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was John Winthrop when he left for college?
2. What minister that lived near Groton Manor and accompanied Winthrop to New England was so obsessed with the need for avoiding separatism that “he declared not only the churches of England but also those of Rome to be true churches”?
(a) George Phillips
(b) Nicholas Knopp
(c) Roger Williams
(d) Nathaniel Ward
3. How much money does the author assert a tent had cost in England for those few who had been able to bring one to the new world in Chapter 5: “Survival”?
(a) 10 pounds
(b) 50 pounds
(c) 20 pounds
(d) 5 pounds
4. The author states in Chapter 3: “A Shelter and a Hiding Place” that “Winthrop knew that in England he was not tall enough to do anything effective for the cause of God against the towering ungodliness of” whom?
(a) Queen Mary
(b) King James
(c) Queen Elizabeth
(d) King Charles
5. Arminianism is based on the theological ideas of what Dutch Reformed theologian?
(a) Elmore Arminian
(b) Isaac Arminus
(c) Jacobus Arminius
(d) James Arminus
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the author say in Chapter 2: “Evil and Declining Times,” “[T]heir defiance was also a desertion. They failed their fellow men. They abandoned a charity to which the Puritans held fast”?
2. In what year did John Winthrop’s first wife, Mary Forth Winthrop, die?
3. Margaret Tyndal’s father held what position when she married John Winthrop?
4. In order to secure the Massachusetts Bay Company’s investors, an agreement was finally worked out whereby the remaining resources of the company would be managed for seven years by "undertakers." How many of these undertakers would be established in Massachusetts?
5. How old was John Winthrop when he married for the third time?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)