|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luigi's Press Secretary do to publicize Annabel?
2. Why has the doctor come to Annabel's flat?
3. Who does Annabel actually call for help at the party?
4. Describe what first happens when everyone enters the flat.
5. What word is used to describe Annabel's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The House on the Piazza" did not garner great reviews for the film, but how did it help Annabel's acting career?
2. Annabel had a brief affair with an American drama student who was playing a small part in one of her films. How did this affect her marriage?
3. One afternoon as Annabel is waiting for Frederick, Billy O'Brien lets himself in with the key that Frederick had given to him. Billy is rude and arrogant and demands food, which Annabel prepares. Billy says that Frederick has threatened suicide and Annabel says he has done the same with her. Should they have taken his threats more seriously?
4. What was the difference between the way that Annabel and Frederick viewed acting?
5. Frederick was attracted to Francesca, Luigi's press secretary, but even though she shared the attraction, she was more concerned about her job. How did she continue to promote Annabel as part of a couple?
6. Annabel was now the principal wage earner. Frederick's intellectual aspect and dignity were possible because of what Annabel earned. How did Frederick feel about this?
7. Who was responsible for the transformation of Annabel and how did it come about?
8. Frederick's longtime friend, Billy O'Brien, came in and out of their lives, usually needing a loan. How did Annabel ensure that Frederick would come to Rome with her?
9. When Frederick failed at acting, he turned to writing film scripts and had a number of small successes. What was the script that would bring fame to both of the Christophers?
10. As more and more people came into her flat, for the party she hadn't known about, Annabel wondered what she should do. Why didn't she just send them all away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his note, Frederick writes to Annabel that she is a beautiful empty shell. Luigi reassures her that she is not. How does Luigi perceive Annabel? What is their ongoing relationship? He jump-started her career. How does he feel about preserving it?
Essay Topic 2
Annabel makes a surprising decision at the end of the book. What do you think is her reason? What do you see as her future and why? Do you have any particular emotion at the decision she has made and if so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Annabel and Frederick decided to have a baby. How did the baby impact on their relationship? What was the role of the baby in both their lives? Give examples of how involved they were as parents.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)