|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What irritates Frederick about Annabel's acting style?
(a) Annabel forgets her lines.
(b) Annabel needs better diction.
(c) Annabel doesn't always listen to the director.
(d) Annabel is superficial.
2. On what exact days does Annabel expect a furniture delivery in her new place in Rome?
(a) Monday,Thursday, Friday.
(c) Tuesday, Wednesday,Friday.
(d) Monday, Tuesday,Friday.
3. When Giorgio goes out, how are Annabel's neighbors arranged?
(a) They start to leave as if to give her space.
(b) Sitting and standing with folded arms as if to protect her.
(c) In a circle to keep Annabel safe.
(d) All around the room.
4. How does Frederick react when Annabel decides they should have a baby?
(a) Frederick tells Annabel that she should not have the baby.
(b) Frederick thinks he will not like the baby.
(c) Frederick tells Annabel that all she thinks of is his public image.
(d) Frederick tells Annabel that the baby will ruin her career.
5. How does Frederick deal with Annabel's growing success?
(a) Frederick takes roles offered in plays byStrindberg,Ibsen, Marlow and Chekhov
(b) Frederick tries to find additional parts for her so that she will make more money
(c) Frederick stays home all day and read all the books he had always wanted to.
(d) Frederick refuses to see any of her movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Annabel's baby?
2. Why has the doctor come to Annabel's flat?
3. What does Annabel say when asked by the press about how Frederick died?
4. Who is the first character we meet as the book begins?
5. What does Luigi's Press Secretary do to publicize Annabel?
Short Essay Questions
1. The doctor gives Annabel two aspirins and a glass of warmed up wine. The leading neighbors of the palazzo, at the sight of the baby in Annabel's arms, get teary at the sight of Annabel's' tears. She is crying quite hard, when the child says something about how actresses can make themselves cry. What in the child's words brings back echoes of Frederick?
2. Frederick's longtime friend, Billy O'Brien, came in and out of their lives, usually needing a loan. How did Annabel ensure that Frederick would come to Rome with her?
3. In Chapter II, we learn that "The House on the Piazza" was the film that established Annabel's reputation. However, the film itself did not draw crowds and was considered lifeless. How did Frederick view the film?
4. Frederick, always keeping in the back of his mind the idea of leaving Annabel, had taken a mistress and in Chapter III, we learn that he is constantly going away. How is Annabel managing her private life?
5. Frederick was attracted to Francesca, Luigi's press secretary, but even though she shared the attraction, she was more concerned about her job. How did she continue to promote Annabel as part of a couple?
6. Until quite recently, how would people have described Annabel's physical appearance?
7. Annabel made a second film and then she was to make a next film. Rumors were that Frederick was to play a leading role. What actually happened to Frederick?
8. The press entered the room in a rush and surged towards Annabel in Chapter 4. She sat among her neighbors who conveyed their sense of empathy and deep feeling for her loss, as Annabel blinked away her tears and looked warmly down at her baby. How did the press approach her? Was this an event staged by Annabel to control the damage Frederick had wrought?
9. What was the difference between the way that Annabel and Frederick viewed acting?
10. What is the relationship of Billy O'Brien to the Christopher family?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)