|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heschel claim is God's ultimate goal?
(a) To destroy people.
(b) To chastise people.
(c) To purify people.
(d) To build a people.
2. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were part of the people's what?
(a) Way of honoring their dead families.
(b) Way of showing how much they owned.
(c) Way of showing remorse.
(d) Way of worship.
3. What Bible does Heschel use as the source for scripture passages?
(a) The Protestant Bible.
(b) The Jerusalem Bible.
(c) The Hebrew Bible.
(d) The Catholic Bible.
4. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
5. What does Heschel say plays a part in the message that the prophets bring to the people?
(a) The situation.
(b) The words themselves.
(c) The man and his life.
(d) The way the message is presented.
6. Why was Jeremiah imprisoned?
(a) Because he spoke out against the king.
(b) Because he abandoned the Assyrians.
(c) Because he abandoned the Babylonians.
(d) Because of his prophesies.
7. Who was Hezekiah?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A prophet.
(c) A king.
(d) A brother of Isaiah.
8. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
(a) It was the center of culture.
(b) It prospered.
(c) It fell.
(d) It became the capital of the Assyrian empire.
9. How did Second Isaiah refer to the people of Israel?
(a) People who were not worshipping their God.
(b) People who were turning away from God.
(c) People who did not understand their God.
(d) People who were searching and working towards righteousness.
10. What did Amos speak out against that differed from Hosea?
(b) Accumulation of wealth.
11. The prophets were outraged because of what?
(a) People's lack of understanding.
(d) The king's edicts.
12. The author states that a prophet looked at things that seemed what to other people?
13. What term does Jeremiah use for the people of God because they refuse to turn themselves toward God?
(b) Lovers of evil.
14. What social ill did Hosea primarily speak out against?
(a) Sin in general.
15. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
(a) With loss in battle.
(b) With a flood.
(c) With fire.
(d) With a disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heschel avoid telling the reader about the prophets' message?
2. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
3. What does Heschel say the prophets had to endure?
4. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
5. What does understanding God depend on?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)