|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Amos speak out against that differed from Hosea?
(b) Accumulation of wealth.
2. How did Second Isaiah refer to the people of Israel?
(a) People who were turning away from God.
(b) People who were searching and working towards righteousness.
(c) People who were not worshipping their God.
(d) People who did not understand their God.
3. What social ill did Hosea primarily speak out against?
(d) Sin in general.
4. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
(a) When a person dies.
(b) When God takes it away.
(c) When a person misuses it.
(d) When God hardens a person's heart.
5. Micah's concern with the people was that they worshiped what?
(a) The work of their own hands.
(c) Multiple gods.
(d) Golden calves.
6. According to Heschel, in what way did Hosea differ from Amos?
(a) In the way he lived.
(b) In his preaching.
(c) In his love for God.
(d) In his love for the people.
7. Isaiah was aware that disaster was coming and from that disaster would come what?
8. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
9. What Bible does Heschel use as the source for scripture passages?
(a) The Hebrew Bible.
(b) The Jerusalem Bible.
(c) The Catholic Bible.
(d) The Protestant Bible.
10. What was Micah's message?
(a) Love and generosity.
(b) Hope and forgiveness.
(c) Sweetness and light.
(d) Doom and destruction.
11. Who died the year that Isaiah was called by God?
(a) His wife.
(b) His son.
(c) The prophet Amos.
(d) The king.
12. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
(a) Out of obedience.
(b) Out of fear.
(c) Out of love.
(d) Because they want to.
13. Which prophet does Heschel not provide the reader his past?
(a) Second Isaiah.
14. Why does Heschel call the prophet he discusses after Habakkuk the "Second Isaiah"?
(a) None of the answers is correct..
(b) Because he follows Isaiah.
(c) Because he is Isaiah's son.
(d) Because he is never named.
15. Hosea describes Israel as the unfaithful wife and God as Israel's what?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Heschel, the land at the time of the prophets had judges and laws but they were both without what?
2. Before Amos was called by God what was his job?
3. God answers Habakkuk that God's hand is constantly working even though what?
4. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
5. "The Prophets" was written for which religious groups?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)