|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mesha sacrifice to appease his idols during wartime?
(a) His son.
(c) His daughter.
2. Hosea describes Israel as the unfaithful wife and God as Israel's what?
3. According to Heschel, the land at the time of the prophets had judges and laws but they were both without what?
4. What term does Jeremiah use for the people of God because they refuse to turn themselves toward God?
(a) Lovers of evil.
5. How many children did Hosea have?
6. What Bible does Heschel use as the source for scripture passages?
(a) The Catholic Bible.
(b) The Hebrew Bible.
(c) The Jerusalem Bible.
(d) The Protestant Bible.
7. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
(a) Out of fear.
(b) Out of love.
(c) Because they want to.
(d) Out of obedience.
8. How did Second Isaiah refer to the people of Israel?
(a) People who did not understand their God.
(b) People who were turning away from God.
(c) People who were searching and working towards righteousness.
(d) People who were not worshipping their God.
9. What does Heschel say the prophets had to endure?
(a) Lack of wealth.
(b) Ill health.
10. Why was Jeremiah imprisoned?
(a) Because he spoke out against the king.
(b) Because of his prophesies.
(c) Because he abandoned the Babylonians.
(d) Because he abandoned the Assyrians.
11. According to Heschel, in what way did Hosea differ from Amos?
(a) In his preaching.
(b) In his love for the people.
(c) In his love for God.
(d) In the way he lived.
12. The author states that a prophet looked at things that seemed what to other people?
13. According to Heschel, what is one of the things that caused a need for prophets?
14. Isaiah was aware that disaster was coming and from that disaster would come what?
15. What happened to prophets when God called them to do his work?
(a) They were glorified.
(b) They were shown respect.
(c) They were honored.
(d) They were shunned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heschel use as examples of how pathos is associated to God in heaven?
2. Heschel says that Habakkuk knowing that destruction is coming feels that this is the opposite of what?
3. What was Micah's message?
4. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
5. According to Heschel, how did God show himself to prophets?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)