|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
(a) When a person dies.
(b) When God hardens a person's heart.
(c) When a person misuses it.
(d) When God takes it away.
2. What was another name for Hosea?
3. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
(d) Inward looking.
4. Which prophet does Heschel not provide the reader his past?
(c) Second Isaiah.
5. "The Prophets" was written for which religious groups?
(a) Jews and Orthodox.
(b) Jews and Muslims.
(c) Jews and Christians.
(d) Christians and Muslims.
6. Heschel says that prophets have a duty to what?
(a) To their time and place.
(b) To their families.
(c) To their countrymen.
(d) To their religion.
7. What does Heschel say that Habakkuk is tormented by?
(a) The idolatry of the people.
(b) The fact that God allows evil to prevail.
(c) The lack of listening to the prophets.
(d) The great lack of worshipping the true God.
8. Who imprisoned Jeremiah?
9. Hosea was aware that his relationship with his wife mirrored the relationship of whom?
(a) God and his people.
(b) God and Hosea.
(c) God's people and their kings.
(d) God's people and Hosea.
10. What does Heschel avoid telling the reader about the prophets' message?
(a) The specific outcome of the message.
(b) Whether he agrees or disagrees.
(c) The historical context of the message.
(d) Whether the prophet's message was legitimate.
11. What country did Israel ask for help and protection from Assyria during the time of Isaiah?
12. Heschel states that it is a mistake to think that what happens on earth reflects what?
(a) What is happening in heaven.
(b) What is going to happen in the future on earth.
(c) What has happened in the past on earth.
(d) What has happened in the past in heaven.
13. What was the name of Hosea's wife?
14. According to Heschel, the prophets had no ideas about God, but had what?
(a) A relationship.
(b) An experience of him.
(c) An understanding.
(d) An obedience.
15. What social ill did Hosea primarily speak out against?
(a) Sin in general.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prophets were hypersensitive to what?
2. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
3. What does Heschel claim is God's ultimate goal?
4. The author states that a prophet looked at things that seemed what to other people?
5. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)