|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heschel claim is God's ultimate goal?
(a) To destroy people.
(b) To build a people.
(c) To chastise people.
(d) To purify people.
2. The prophets were outraged because of what?
(a) People's lack of understanding.
(c) The king's edicts.
3. Jeremiah says that even though people are punished they don't seem to what?
(a) Be penitent.
(c) Have remorse.
4. Who died the year that Isaiah was called by God?
(a) His wife.
(b) The prophet Amos.
(c) His son.
(d) The king.
5. God answers Habakkuk that God's hand is constantly working even though what?
(a) It is destroying the covenant.
(b) It is destroying the people.
(c) It can't be seen.
(d) It isn't what Habakkuk wants.
6. Before Amos was called by God what was his job?
(b) Carpet maker.
7. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
8. Whom did Jeremiah say would overtake the cities of Judah?
(a) The people of the Northern Kingdom.
(c) The people who lived in Judah before the Israelites.
(d) The enemies.
9. Who was Mesha?
(a) King of the Moabites.
(b) King of the Israelites.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A herdsman.
10. Hosea was aware that his relationship with his wife mirrored the relationship of whom?
(a) God and his people.
(b) God's people and Hosea.
(c) God and Hosea.
(d) God's people and their kings.
11. What term does Jeremiah use for the people of God because they refuse to turn themselves toward God?
(a) Lovers of evil.
12. How many changes in leadership were there during Jeremiah's time?
13. Heschel quotes Samuel to show that what was better than sacrifice?
(a) To go to the temple.
(b) To pray.
(c) To honor your father and mother.
(d) To obey.
14. The author describes what era in the Old Testament?
(a) Babylonian exile era.
(b) Ancient prophets era.
(c) Prophetic era.
(d) Early Christian era.
15. Why does Heschel use quotes from other books of the Bible?
(a) To prove his point.
(b) To prove he knows about the Bible.
(c) To provide background.
(d) To show continuity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the book of Habakkuk?
2. What does Heschel say is the basis for the relationship of God and man?
3. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
4. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
5. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)