|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Heschel describe the time during Second Isaiah?
(a) Filled with death and destruction.
(b) Filled with repentance.
(c) Filled with tears and joy.
(d) Filled with doom and hope.
2. Hosea describes Israel as the unfaithful wife and God as Israel's what?
3. How did Second Isaiah refer to the people of Israel?
(a) People who did not understand their God.
(b) People who were searching and working towards righteousness.
(c) People who were turning away from God.
(d) People who were not worshipping their God.
4. What does understanding God depend on?
(a) A person's obedience to God's will.
(d) A person's relationship with God.
5. How long is the book of Habakkuk?
(a) A few chapters.
(b) Longer than Jeremiah.
(c) 10 chapters.
(d) Longest book of "The Prophets".
6. In Hosea 9:14 instead of asking God to forgive his people he asked God to deliver them what?
7. What country did Israel ask for help and protection from Assyria during the time of Isaiah?
8. Isaiah was aware that disaster was coming and from that disaster would come what?
9. What does Heschel say will change God's judgment about destruction?
(a) A change in man's heart and actions.
(b) A new prophet's heartfelt request.
(c) A change in history.
10. Who was Mesha?
(a) King of the Moabites.
(b) King of the Israelites.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A herdsman.
11. Who died the year that Isaiah was called by God?
(a) His wife.
(b) The king.
(c) His son.
(d) The prophet Amos.
12. Before Amos was called by God what was his job?
(d) Carpet maker.
13. Why does Heschel use quotes from other books of the Bible?
(a) To provide background.
(b) To prove his point.
(c) To show continuity.
(d) To prove he knows about the Bible.
14. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
(a) With a flood.
(b) With fire.
(c) With loss in battle.
(d) With a disease.
15. Why does Heschel quote Micah 7:1-7?
(a) To illustrate God's passions.
(b) To show Micah's intense nature.
(c) To prove Micah is a prophet.
(d) To show what the people were like.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes what era in the Old Testament?
2. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were part of the people's what?
3. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
4. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
5. Heschel says that prophets have a duty to what?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)