|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Jeremiah use for the people of God because they refuse to turn themselves toward God?
(b) Lovers of evil.
2. Before Amos was called by God what was his job?
(c) Carpet maker.
3. Micah's concern with the people was that they worshiped what?
(b) The work of their own hands.
(c) Multiple gods.
(d) Golden calves.
4. Heschel states that it is a mistake to think that what happens on earth reflects what?
(a) What is happening in heaven.
(b) What is going to happen in the future on earth.
(c) What has happened in the past on earth.
(d) What has happened in the past in heaven.
5. Why does Heschel call the prophet he discusses after Habakkuk the "Second Isaiah"?
(a) Because he is never named.
(b) Because he follows Isaiah.
(c) Because he is Isaiah's son.
(d) None of the answers is correct..
6. What does Heschel use to solidify his facts about the prophets?
(a) Opinions of others.
(b) The prophets' own words.
(c) Other parts of the Bible.
(d) His opinions.
7. What was Micah's message?
(a) Doom and destruction.
(b) Love and generosity.
(c) Hope and forgiveness.
(d) Sweetness and light.
8. Prophets were hypersensitive to what?
(a) People calling them crazy.
(b) Religious fanatics.
(c) Things that offended God.
(d) Expensive habits.
9. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
(a) With fire.
(b) With loss in battle.
(c) With a flood.
(d) With a disease.
10. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
(b) Inward looking.
11. Heschel says that Jeremiah is often called a prophet of what?
12. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
(a) When a person misuses it.
(b) When a person dies.
(c) When God takes it away.
(d) When God hardens a person's heart.
13. What does understanding God depend on?
(a) A person's relationship with God.
(b) A person's obedience to God's will.
14. What people did Amos, Hosea, and Isaiah try to save?
(a) The people of the Eastern Kingdom.
(b) The people of the Northern Kingdom.
(c) The people of the Western Kingdom.
(d) The people of the Southern Kingdom.
15. Heschel quotes Samuel to show that what was better than sacrifice?
(a) To pray.
(b) To obey.
(c) To go to the temple.
(d) To honor your father and mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Jeremiah, God states that he will have to destroy what he has built. What was he referring to?
2. The author describes what era in the Old Testament?
3. What change occurs in Second Isaiah toward the people of Israel?
4. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
5. Heschel describes the words of prophecy as a polarity between what?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)