|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heschel say is the basis for the relationship of God and man?
(c) Divine pathos.
2. What country did Israel ask for help and protection from Assyria during the time of Isaiah?
3. How does Heschel describe the time that Jeremiah lived?
(a) One of injustice.
(b) One of war.
(c) One of peace.
(d) One of anger and wrath.
4. What does understanding God depend on?
(a) A person's relationship with God.
(c) A person's obedience to God's will.
5. Hosea describes Israel as the unfaithful wife and God as Israel's what?
6. What promise did God give with Second Isaiah?
(a) Promise of love.
(b) Promise of redemption.
(c) Promise of destruction.
(d) Promise of future wealth.
7. Who imprisoned Jeremiah?
8. The author states that a prophet looked at things that seemed what to other people?
9. What did Amos speak out against that differed from Hosea?
(b) Accumulation of wealth.
10. Hosea was aware that his relationship with his wife mirrored the relationship of whom?
(a) God's people and Hosea.
(b) God and his people.
(c) God and Hosea.
(d) God's people and their kings.
11. Prophets were hypersensitive to what?
(a) Expensive habits.
(b) Things that offended God.
(c) People calling them crazy.
(d) Religious fanatics.
12. What does Heschel say that Habakkuk is tormented by?
(a) The lack of listening to the prophets.
(b) The idolatry of the people.
(c) The fact that God allows evil to prevail.
(d) The great lack of worshipping the true God.
13. How did Amos describe God's voice calling to him?
(a) As a small nagging thought.
(b) As a gentle breeze.
(c) As a whisper in the night.
(d) As a lion's roar.
14. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
(b) Inward looking.
15. Whom did Jeremiah say would overtake the cities of Judah?
(a) The people of the Northern Kingdom.
(b) The people who lived in Judah before the Israelites.
(d) The enemies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mesha sacrifice to appease his idols during wartime?
2. Heschel says that Habakkuk knowing that destruction is coming feels that this is the opposite of what?
3. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
4. What Bible does Heschel use as the source for scripture passages?
5. How many children did Hosea have?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)