|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prophets rebuked the inhabitants of cities for things that others would have called what?
2. What does Heschel say plays a part in the message that the prophets bring to the people?
(a) The way the message is presented.
(b) The words themselves.
(c) The man and his life.
(d) The situation.
3. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
(d) Intolerant of injustice.
4. What was the name of Hosea's wife?
5. How does Heschel describe freedom?
(a) As a gift from God to man.
(b) As a gift from man to God.
(c) As a benefit for humans.
(d) As a right of man.
6. What does Heschel say the prophets had to endure?
(a) Ill health.
(c) Lack of wealth.
7. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
(a) With loss in battle.
(b) With a flood.
(c) With fire.
(d) With a disease.
8. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
(a) It fell.
(b) It became the capital of the Assyrian empire.
(c) It prospered.
(d) It was the center of culture.
9. What does Heschel avoid telling the reader about the prophets' message?
(a) Whether the prophet's message was legitimate.
(b) Whether he agrees or disagrees.
(c) The specific outcome of the message.
(d) The historical context of the message.
10. What does Heschel say that the prophets looked towards?
(a) The time when Israel turns back to God.
(b) The time when God will end all evil.
(c) The time when people become religious.
(d) The time when they can return to normal life.
11. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
(a) Because they want to.
(b) Out of love.
(c) Out of obedience.
(d) Out of fear.
12. In order to aid the reader's understanding, Heschel includes an appendix on what subject?
(c) Maps of the time.
13. Amos began with a message of what?
14. Heschel states that it is a mistake to think that what happens on earth reflects what?
(a) What has happened in the past in heaven.
(b) What has happened in the past on earth.
(c) What is happening in heaven.
(d) What is going to happen in the future on earth.
15. What did Amos speak out against that differed from Hosea?
(c) Accumulation of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heschel use quotes from other books of the Bible?
2. How does Heschel describe the time during Second Isaiah?
3. According to Heschel, what is one of the things that caused a need for prophets?
4. What does Heschel use as examples of how pathos is associated to God in heaven?
5. In Jeremiah, God states that he will have to destroy what he has built. What was he referring to?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)