Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social ill did Hosea primarily speak out against?
(b) Sin in general.
2. Heschel says that Jeremiah is often called a prophet of what?
3. Whom did Jeremiah say would overtake the cities of Judah?
(a) The people who lived in Judah before the Israelites.
(b) The enemies.
(c) The people of the Northern Kingdom.
4. What does Heschel say plays a part in the message that the prophets bring to the people?
(a) The situation.
(b) The man and his life.
(c) The words themselves.
(d) The way the message is presented.
5. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
(a) When a person dies.
(b) When a person misuses it.
(c) When God hardens a person's heart.
(d) When God takes it away.
6. The prophets were outraged because of what?
(b) People's lack of understanding.
(d) The king's edicts.
7. According to Heschel, the land at the time of the prophets had judges and laws but they were both without what?
8. Why does Heschel call the prophet he discusses after Habakkuk the "Second Isaiah"?
(a) Because he follows Isaiah.
(b) Because he is never named.
(c) None of the answers is correct..
(d) Because he is Isaiah's son.
9. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
(a) With a disease.
(b) With a flood.
(c) With fire.
(d) With loss in battle.
10. What does Heschel say will change God's judgment about destruction?
(a) A change in history.
(b) A change in man's heart and actions.
(d) A new prophet's heartfelt request.
11. Why was Jeremiah imprisoned?
(a) Because he abandoned the Assyrians.
(b) Because he abandoned the Babylonians.
(c) Because of his prophesies.
(d) Because he spoke out against the king.
12. According to Heschel, how did God show himself to prophets?
(a) In absolutes.
(b) In totality.
(c) In variables.
(d) In vague notions.
13. How many children did Hosea have?
14. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were part of the people's what?
(a) Way of worship.
(b) Way of showing remorse.
(c) Way of showing how much they owned.
(d) Way of honoring their dead families.
15. How long is the book of Habakkuk?
(a) A few chapters.
(b) 10 chapters.
(c) Longest book of "The Prophets".
(d) Longer than Jeremiah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heschel avoid telling the reader about the prophets' message?
2. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
3. What changed with Second Isaiah?
4. Who died the year that Isaiah was called by God?
5. How does Heschel describe freedom?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)