|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Amos was called by God what was his job?
(a) Carpet maker.
2. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
(a) Inward looking.
3. What does Heschel use as examples of how pathos is associated to God in heaven?
(d) Greek gods.
4. Heschel says that Jeremiah is often called a prophet of what?
5. What does Heschel say the prophets had to endure?
(a) Ill health.
(b) Lack of wealth.
6. In order to aid the reader's understanding, Heschel includes an appendix on what subject?
(c) Maps of the time.
7. Jeremiah says that even though people are punished they don't seem to what?
(b) Have remorse.
(d) Be penitent.
8. What Bible does Heschel use as the source for scripture passages?
(a) The Hebrew Bible.
(b) The Catholic Bible.
(c) The Protestant Bible.
(d) The Jerusalem Bible.
9. What was another name for Hosea?
10. What change occurs in Second Isaiah toward the people of Israel?
(a) The attitude.
(b) The expectancy of behavior.
(c) The mood.
(d) The tone.
11. What did Amos speak out against that differed from Hosea?
(a) Accumulation of wealth.
12. Heschel describes the words of prophecy as a polarity between what?
(a) Wrath and justice.
(b) Anger and love.
(c) Good and bad.
(d) Health and sickness.
13. What people did Amos, Hosea, and Isaiah try to save?
(a) The people of the Eastern Kingdom.
(b) The people of the Western Kingdom.
(c) The people of the Southern Kingdom.
(d) The people of the Northern Kingdom.
14. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
(a) It became the capital of the Assyrian empire.
(b) It was the center of culture.
(c) It prospered.
(d) It fell.
15. How did Amos describe God's voice calling to him?
(a) As a gentle breeze.
(b) As a whisper in the night.
(c) As a lion's roar.
(d) As a small nagging thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heschel describe freedom?
2. In Hosea 9:14 instead of asking God to forgive his people he asked God to deliver them what?
3. How does Heschel describe the time during Second Isaiah?
4. What country did Israel ask for help and protection from Assyria during the time of Isaiah?
5. What does Habakkuk ask God directly?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)