|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapter 14-17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Second Isaiah refer to the people of Israel?
(a) People who did not understand their God.
(b) People who were not worshipping their God.
(c) People who were turning away from God.
(d) People who were searching and working towards righteousness.
2. According to Heschel, the prophetic act takes place when the prophet is aware of what?
(a) The source of his inspiration is God.
(b) The lack of complete consciousness.
(c) The lack of knowledge about who is the source of his inspiration.
(d) The belief that something is happening to him.
3. In ancient times, Israel only knew God as what?
(a) Mysterious and terrible.
4. What does Heschel say that the prophets looked towards?
(a) The time when God will end all evil.
(b) The time when Israel turns back to God.
(c) The time when people become religious.
(d) The time when they can return to normal life.
5. What were the prophets overwhelmed with in addition to emotion?
(a) The need to speak with God.
(b) The need to be respected.
(c) The need to go off and pray.
(d) The need for action.
Short Answer Questions
1. One view that Heschel discusses is that an outstanding feature of a poet's consciousness is the sense of being what at the moment of inspiration?
2. What does the Stoic sage aim for?
3. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
4. According to Heschel, the prophets had no ideas about God, but had what?
5. What did the prophets talk about in addition to God's wrath and judgment?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)