|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks again to ask about reason and passion?
2. Who is everyone's need and giver of all?
3. Who asks Almustafa about death?
4. The wellspring of the soul must flow to where in order for the depths to be revealed?
5. Prayer is the expansion of one's self into the _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Much of one's talking does what, according to Almustafa?
2. When does Almustafa say that one speaks?
3. How does Almustafa describe friendship when a youth asks?
4. What happens when one prays, according to Almustafa?
5. Where does one's giant self lie, according to Almustafa?
6. What do the tired and the weary say about beauty?
7. How does Almustafa describe religion?
8. To what does Almustafa compare time?
9. What is the only purpose of friendship?
10. What do people's hearts already know, according to Almustafa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Almustafa says that you should not despair the loss of a friend, does this make sense to you? Are there times when it's right to despair the loss of a friend? Describe an example of a personal situation in which letting go of a friend was a good thing. What does Almustafa say about what you should do as a friend? What are some things to show that you're a good friend and that you care about the other person?
Essay Topic 2
Almustafa does not accept gifts from those in Orphalese, citing that he is too proud to receive wages. Were the people of the city right to react the way they did? Why or why not? If you were Almustafa, would you react in the same way, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Birth is an affliction and flesh is a curse" - but what does this mean in relation to work? Why could birth be seen as an affliction? Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)