|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does one find diversion sometimes?
2. Almustafa says that pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses what?
3. What is measureless and immeasurable?
4. Striving for gain is like what?
5. When a friend speaks _________, one fears saying neither yea not nay.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must one know pain, according to Almustafa?
2. How does Almustafa describe evil? How does he define it?
3. When can one speak of beauty, according to Almustafa?
4. Where does one's giant self lie, according to Almustafa?
5. What do the tired and the weary say about beauty?
6. When does Almustafa say that one speaks?
7. Almustafa advises people to pray at what times?
8. How does Almustafa describe religion?
9. How does Almustafa describe time?
10. When a teacher asks Almustafa about teaching, what does he say one can reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those who wear morality as their best garment are better off naked - that's a strong statement in relation to religion. What do you think this means? What do you think Almustafa means? What does this statement mean in relation to religion? Does this mean that religion or morality is a bad thing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Almustafa does not accept gifts from those in Orphalese, citing that he is too proud to receive wages. Were the people of the city right to react the way they did? Why or why not? If you were Almustafa, would you react in the same way, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of love is something that has been discussed throughout the ages. When Almustafa says that Love neither possesses nor is possessed, what does this mean? How does this play out in relationships and families? What do you think "empty one's self to neither" (in reference to laughter and weeping) means?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)