|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Almustafa about beauty?
2. What is boundless?
3. What can not be separated from actions or belief from occupations?
4. Striving for gain is like what?
5. When one parts from a friend, there should be no _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. When can people know death's secret, according to Almustafa?
2. How should judgment and appetite be treated, according to Almustafa?
3. How does Almustafa describe friendship when a youth asks?
4. Why should all people be taken in, according to Almustafa?
5. When does Almustafa say that one speaks?
6. Much of one's talking does what, according to Almustafa?
7. How does Almustafa define pain?
8. How does Almustafa describe religion?
9. What is the reaction of the people when Almustafa does not accept the gifts of the Orphalese?
10. What is the only purpose of friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is better to give things unasked, according to Almustafa. What does this mean? Give three examples of things that can happen if you give of yourself without being asked? Is this a realistic way of living? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Almustafa says that you should not despair the loss of a friend, does this make sense to you? Are there times when it's right to despair the loss of a friend? Describe an example of a personal situation in which letting go of a friend was a good thing. What does Almustafa say about what you should do as a friend? What are some things to show that you're a good friend and that you care about the other person?
Essay Topic 3
Almustafa wants people to realize that talking is something about which people need to think more . What do you think he means by the idea of someone that talks just to find diversion in sound? What do you think he means by someone who only speaks when they cease to be at peace with one's thoughts? Which is the better situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)