|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reason and passion are the rudders and sails of the ________.
2. Yesterday is today's _________.
3. What is remembered long after the vessel is gone?
4. What does Almustafa claim to have been during this day?
5. Who says that beauty will rise with the dawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since one should not speak about finding "the" truth, what should a person do?
2. When can one speak of beauty, according to Almustafa?
3. How should judgment and appetite be treated, according to Almustafa?
4. How does Almustafa describe time?
5. What is the reaction of the people when Almustafa does not accept the gifts of the Orphalese?
6. What do the tired and the weary say about beauty?
7. What is the only purpose of friendship?
8. What can happen when one goes digging for roots, according to Almustafa?
9. What happens when one prays, according to Almustafa?
10. To what does Almustafa compare time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almustafa suggests that everyone live in the country. Why does he believe this is the best choice for families and individuals? What do you think about this advice? Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not? Does the place where you live even matter?
Essay Topic 2
Almustafa does not accept gifts from those in Orphalese, citing that he is too proud to receive wages. Were the people of the city right to react the way they did? Why or why not? If you were Almustafa, would you react in the same way, why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Almustafa says that you should not despair the loss of a friend, does this make sense to you? Are there times when it's right to despair the loss of a friend? Describe an example of a personal situation in which letting go of a friend was a good thing. What does Almustafa say about what you should do as a friend? What are some things to show that you're a good friend and that you care about the other person?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)