Lesson 1 (from "The Coming of the Ship")
The use of the ship as a metaphor for death is something that starts off The Prophet. Today's objective is to discuss why this kind of symbology is helpful to the reader, and how death is portrayed metaphorically in other literary works.
1. Have each student write a short essay describing their feelings about using a metaphor for the idea of death. Do they think it works or not?
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss other ways The Prophet could have symbolized death using modern symbols.
3. As a class, discuss whether the use of the ship was a strong choice. Also, watch the final scenes of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King to note the similarities and differences between these farewells.
4. Homework - Have students look for other literary works that use a ship as a symbol of death.
5. Homework - Have students create...
This section contains 5,404 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)