|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reuven's response to one exam question shock the examiners?
2. Who does Professor Gordon want as his student?
3. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
4. Where is David Malter offered a position?
5. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
2. What is the essential argument of the second part of Rav Kalman's article attacking David Malter's book?
3. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss when Reuven visits him?
4. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
5. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
6. What small breakthrough happens with Michael, and what does his mother want?
7. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
8. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
9. About what is Reuven's father happy?
10. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Reuven is in Kalman's class, but their encounter is brief. Kalman says nothing to Reuven and Reuven feels hatred for him. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Reuven's hatred for Kalman is justified?
2. Can this difference of ideology between Kalman and Reuven be a metaphor for the differences between any two people/groups/nations that have ideological differences? Explain fully.
3. Why do you think most people want others to believe the way they do? Is this healthy? Does it contribute to peace or conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Much of The Promise concerns theology. Many of the major characters are either Rabbis or studying to become a Rabbi. Michael, who is still a boy, makes perhasp some of the most interesting statements about god. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Michael means when he says "God is smoke"?
2. Michael says he cannot get God out of his mind--discuss that statement in light of Michael's personality.
3. Are Michael's problems mostly spiritual; mostly psychological, or a combination of the two? Discuss thoroughly with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Promise, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)