|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
2. With whom does Reb Saunders think Danny is involved?
3. Where is Reuven at the opening of Chapter 9?
4. To whom does Kalman apologize?
5. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
2. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
3. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
4. What happens when Reuven goes in to Michael's room to see him after the fire?
5. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
6. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
7. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
8. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
9. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
10. About what is Reuven's father happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Professor Gordon is at a conservative seminary and David Malter is at a liberal seminary . Find two other incidences of irony in The Promise and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in The Promise.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in The Promise.
Essay Topic 2
Kalman reminds Reuven that Professor Gordon was excommunicated and demands that Reuven respect the excommunication by dissociating from Gordon. Discuss the following:
1. What is ex-communication in the Jewish tradition? What are the reasons for ex-communicating someone?
2. Do other religions practice ex-communication? Which ones? What are the reasons for ex-communicating someone?
3. Does ex-communication seem like a good way to deal with a dissenter? Why or why not?
4. How is ex-communication a form of control?
Essay Topic 3
Reuven asks his father about Kotzker, who it turns out is an eccentric rabbi who has shut himself up in a room for twenty years and has disagreements with many Hasidic sects.
Discuss the following:
1. Research the historical Kotzker Rebbe and write an informative essay on him and how the historical facts match up with what is said in The Promise.
2. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a scholar isolating himself for twenty years.
3. Can you ever think of a reason you would isolate yourself for twenty years?
4. Relate the anecdote about Kotzker Rebbe to the theme of silence in the Promise. What other situations are related to the theme of silence? Who tries to silence other? Why?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)