|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
2. What does Michael perceive about many things?
3. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
4. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
5. What surprises Reuven's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
2. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
3. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
4. What does Reuven think about the reason for orthodox Jews to become so stubborn?
5. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
6. What does Michael say about Rav Kalman's article?
7. What is the difference in scholarly approaches between Kalman and Reuven's father.
8. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
9. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
10. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Reuven is in Kalman's class, but their encounter is brief. Kalman says nothing to Reuven and Reuven feels hatred for him. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Reuven's hatred for Kalman is justified?
2. Can this difference of ideology between Kalman and Reuven be a metaphor for the differences between any two people/groups/nations that have ideological differences? Explain fully.
3. Why do you think most people want others to believe the way they do? Is this healthy? Does it contribute to peace or conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Reuven Malter and Daniel Saunders. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Is either man's cause more worthy than the other? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of David Malter and Rav Kalman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Michael hates orthodox Jews because he thinks they try to keep people from speaking the truth as the person sees it. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of truth in The Promise. Is there one truth? Many truths? Does any character have "the truth"?
2. Many wars have been fought over the concept of "the truth." Discuss one war that was waged over a difference in the perception of truth and what the core issue(s) was. Relate your research back to The Promise.
3. Thoroughly discucss one thing you think is absolutely true and then relate your beliefs in that truth to one character's beliefs about the truth in The Promise.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)