|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reuven feel towards Kalman?
2. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
3. Where is David Malter offered a position?
4. What has Michael asked?
5. What concerns Rachel about the idea of marrying Danny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Danny give Michael and what does Michael say about it to Reuven?
2. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss when Reuven visits him?
3. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
4. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
5. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
6. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
7. What happens when Reuven goes in to Michael's room to see him after the fire?
8. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
9. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
10. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Professor Gordon is at a conservative seminary and David Malter is at a liberal seminary . Find two other incidences of irony in The Promise and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in The Promise.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in The Promise.
Essay Topic 2
In The Promise, the most visible and important characters are male. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Rachael is as capable (or more so) than Reuven or Daniel? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was in a difficult position with Rav Kalman? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not?
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, Reuven is in Kalman's class, but their encounter is brief. Kalman says nothing to Reuven and Reuven feels hatred for him. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Reuven's hatred for Kalman is justified?
2. Can this difference of ideology between Kalman and Reuven be a metaphor for the differences between any two people/groups/nations that have ideological differences? Explain fully.
3. Why do you think most people want others to believe the way they do? Is this healthy? Does it contribute to peace or conflict?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)