|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny say about Kotzker Rebbe?
2. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
3. How does David Malter react to the article Kalman writes about Malter's book?
4. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
5. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss when Reuven visits him?
2. What do Danny, Rachel, Reuven and Eileen go to see and what is their response?
3. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
4. What is the essential argument of the second part of Rav Kalman's article attacking David Malter's book?
5. About what is Reuven's father happy?
6. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
7. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
8. What does Reb Saunders tell Reuven and what does Reuven do?
9. What does Reuven think about the reason for orthodox Jews to become so stubborn?
10. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Professor Gordon is at a conservative seminary and David Malter is at a liberal seminary . Find two other incidences of irony in The Promise and discuss them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in The Promise.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in The Promise.
Essay Topic 2
Kalman picks on Reuven by having him read Gemora aloud and critiques his interpretations. Reuven reads Kalman's book on ethics. Discuss the following:
1. What is ethics? How do you think the topic figures in during the telling of The Promise?
2. Why do you think Kalman is picking on Reuven in class?
3. Do you think it is ironic that Kalman wrote a book on ethics and yet he obviously picks on a student just because Kalman sees him with someone with whom Kalman disagrees?
4. Discuss the major characters (Kalman, Reuven, Danny, Professor Gordon, Michael Gordon and David Malter) and tell why you think each is ethical or not, giving one example for each to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 3
Much of The Promise concerns theology. Many of the major characters are either Rabbis or studying to become a Rabbi. Michael, who is still a boy, makes perhasp some of the most interesting statements about god. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Michael means when he says "God is smoke"?
2. Michael says he cannot get God out of his mind--discuss that statement in light of Michael's personality.
3. Are Michael's problems mostly spiritual; mostly psychological, or a combination of the two? Discuss thoroughly with examples.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)