|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Reuven summoned at the end of the chapter?
(a) To visit a Yeshiva in Israel as a guest lecturer.
(b) To visit the foremost Rabbi alive at the time.
(c) To see Michael.
(d) To meet with two other Yeshivas who have job offers.
2. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
(a) No having a definitive authority since WWII.
(b) The Jews having had so much previous Talmudic work destroyed during WWII.
(c) Any scholar's insistence on breaking from traditional methods of interpretation.
(d) David Malter's claims that there are errors in the transcriptions of the Talmud.
3. What enrages Michael and causes him to organize a group of boys to try to get out of the treatment center?
(a) Learning that Professor Gordon has conceded many issues to the orthodoxy.
(b) Professor Gordon telling Michael he will be disinherited.
(c) Michael learning that Danny and Rachel are involved romantically.
(d) Danny telling Michael he is to be institutionalized.
4. What does Danny give Michael?
(a) A request to meet with another doctor.
(b) An invitation to a debate.
(c) A copy of the article Kalman writes about David Malter's book.
(d) A weekend pass to go home.
5. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
(a) They base their research on different texts.
(b) One takes an academic approach and one takes a literal approach.
(c) They use different interpretive methods.
(d) They base their research on the same texts but different editions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Reuven's father?
2. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
3. What does Michael perceive about many things?
4. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
5. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Danny, Rachel, Reuven and Eileen go to see and what is their response?
2. What does Kalman think about Reuven as his student?
3. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
4. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
5. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
6. About what is Reuven's father happy?
7. What small breakthrough happens with Michael, and what does his mother want?
8. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
9. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss when Reuven visits him?
10. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)