|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A copy of David Malter's book.
(b) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
(c) An invitation to a theological discussion.
(d) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
2. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
(b) They render the texts useless.
(c) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
(d) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
3. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) Professor Gordon's home.
(b) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(c) The Frankel library.
(d) A sailboat on the East River.
4. What does Reuven read that infuriates him?
(a) A note from Rav Kalman to him.
(b) The second half of Kalman's article about David Malter's book.
(c) A letter from Michael to his father.
(d) A letter from Rachel to Danny.
5. What film do Danny and Reuven and their dates go to see?
(a) Death of a Salesman.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) King Kong.
(d) Mutiny on the Bounty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
2. What does Reuven feel towards Kalman?
3. What does Michael say to a nurse?
4. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
5. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
2. About what is Reuven's father happy?
3. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
4. What happens when Reuven goes in to Michael's room to see him after the fire?
5. What does Danny give Michael and what does Michael say about it to Reuven?
6. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
7. What is the difference in scholarly approaches between Kalman and Reuven's father.
8. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
9. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
10. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)