|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reuven notice about his father?
(a) He seems more optimistic.
(b) Nothing in particular.
(c) He seems depressed and sick.
(d) He is moving on to other projects.
2. What surprises Kalman's Torah class?
(a) Kalman's humility.
(b) Kalman's announcement about his teacher.
(c) Kalman's apology to Greenfield.
(d) Kalman's behavior towards Professor Gordon.
3. To whom does Kalman apologize?
(c) Professor Gordon.
4. How does Reuven's response to one exam question shock the examiners?
(a) It suggests that the Talmud did not entirely contain the principles of its own interpretation.
(b) It is radical beyond heterodoxy.
(c) It is in a scope and depth not expected by students.
(d) It reveals Reuven's lack of faith.
5. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Stops coming to class.
(b) Threatens suicide.
(c) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
(d) Moves to Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
2. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
3. How does Reuven's father encourage Reuven to act towards Kalman?
4. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
5. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the essential argument of the second part of Rav Kalman's article attacking David Malter's book?
2. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
3. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
4. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
5. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
6. What is the difference in scholarly approaches between Kalman and Reuven's father.
7. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
8. What do Danny, Rachel, Reuven and Eileen go to see and what is their response?
9. About what is Reuven's father happy?
10. Describe Abe Greenfield and his problem at opening of Chapter 8.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)