|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
(b) Bitterness at the deaths of his teacher and friends.
(c) Love for the Torah.
2. What surprises Kalman's Torah class?
(a) Kalman's behavior towards Professor Gordon.
(b) Kalman's humility.
(c) Kalman's apology to Greenfield.
(d) Kalman's announcement about his teacher.
3. What has Michael asked?
(a) To be allowed to leave the treatment center and make his own way in the world.
(b) To see Rachel.
(c) To emigrate to Israel.
(d) To see Reuven.
4. What does Michael still refuse to do?
(a) Talk about himself.
(b) Admit he has a problem.
(d) Go to synagogue.
5. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
(b) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
2. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
3. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
4. What is going on with Michael during this time?
5. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in scholarly approaches between Kalman and Reuven's father.
2. What does Reuven argue at his smicha exam and why is that upsetting to Kalman and Gershenson?
3. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
4. Describe Abe Greenfield and his problem at opening of Chapter 8.
5. What does Danny tell Reuven and what is Reuven's reaction?
6. What does Danny think about isolation and what does Danny want Reuven to do?
7. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
8. What is the essential argument of the second part of Rav Kalman's article attacking David Malter's book?
9. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
10. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)