|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Michael's treatment progressing?
(a) It is not productive as yet.
(b) It has been terminated.
(c) It is going as planned.
(d) It has cured Michael and he is going home.
2. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
(a) Make a decision.
(b) Bring his father in to talk with Kalman.
(c) Write an interpretation using strictly orthodox standards.
(d) Write an essay comparing orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
3. What does Reuven read that infuriates him?
(a) A letter from Michael to his father.
(b) The second half of Kalman's article about David Malter's book.
(c) A note from Rav Kalman to him.
(d) A letter from Rachel to Danny.
4. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
(b) David Malter may lose his job.
(c) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
(d) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
5. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(b) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
(c) He is self taught.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny tell Reuven about Kalman?
2. With whom does Greenfield argue?
3. What concerns Rachel about the idea of marrying Danny?
4. What is Reuven's opinion about the proposed treatment for Michael?
5. What does Reuven continue to do with Rav Kalman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuven think about the reason for orthodox Jews to become so stubborn?
2. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
3. What does Danny think about isolation and what does Danny want Reuven to do?
4. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
5. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
6. About what is Reuven's father happy?
7. What does Reb Saunders tell Reuven and what does Reuven do?
8. What do Reuven and Professor Gordon discuss when Reuven visits him?
9. What does Danny tell Reuven and what is Reuven's reaction?
10. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)