|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rav Kalman ask during Reuven's oral exams?
(a) To explain David's book.
(b) A question that is not supposed to be asked.
(c) To show the relation between two Jewish sects.
(d) He refuses to ask Reuven a question.
2. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
(a) Only an ordained Rabbi.
(b) Anyone who has studied the necessary prerequisites.
(c) The great commentators of old.
(d) No one.
3. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Moves to Israel.
(b) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
(c) Stops coming to class.
(d) Threatens suicide.
4. What do the teachers at Professor Gordon's school think about David Malter's book?
(a) They think it is heretical.
(b) They have serious reservations.
(c) They think it is poorly written.
(d) They love it.
5. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(b) His father.
(c) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
(d) He is self taught.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
2. Who does Reuven visit after speaking with Kalman?
3. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
4. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
5. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in scholarly approaches between Kalman and Reuven's father.
2. What does Kalman think about Reuven as his student?
3. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
4. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
5. What small breakthrough happens with Michael, and what does his mother want?
6. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
7. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
8. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
9. What do Danny, Rachel, Reuven and Eileen go to see and what is their response?
10. What does Reuven think about the reason for orthodox Jews to become so stubborn?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)