|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
(a) Greek and Latin.
(b) English and Latin.
(c) English and Greek.
(d) Greek and German.
2. With whom does Greenfield argue?
(b) No one.
3. What does Michael perceive about many things?
(a) They are dirty.
(b) They are unreal.
(c) They are harmful.
(d) They belong to aliens.
4. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) Michael's treatment and situation.
(b) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(c) Michael's future career.
(d) How to sail in a heavy wind.
5. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) David Malter may lose his job.
(b) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
(c) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
(d) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against what does Kalman fight?
2. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
3. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
4. What film do Danny and Reuven and their dates go to see?
5. Why does Michael think his father exhausts himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael's recent disturbing behavior and what precipitated Michael's actions?
2. What does Reuven argue at his smicha exam and why is that upsetting to Kalman and Gershenson?
3. What does Michael do when Reuven says he is going inside because he is cold?
4. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
5. What is the difference in scholarly approaches between Kalman and Reuven's father.
6. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
7. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
8. What does Danny tell Reuven and what is Reuven's reaction?
9. What does Danny think about isolation and what does Danny want Reuven to do?
10. What does Danny's father want to learn and what is his reaction when Reuven tells him?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)