|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) They render the texts useless.
(b) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
(c) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
(d) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
2. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
(b) To leave seminary.
(c) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
(d) To help Reuven's father feel better.
3. With whom does Reb Saunders think Danny is involved?
(a) A reformed Jewish woman.
(b) A Christian girl.
(c) Rachel Gordon.
(d) No one.
4. How does Reuven's response to one exam question shock the examiners?
(a) It suggests that the Talmud did not entirely contain the principles of its own interpretation.
(b) It reveals Reuven's lack of faith.
(c) It is radical beyond heterodoxy.
(d) It is in a scope and depth not expected by students.
5. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
(b) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enrages Michael and causes him to organize a group of boys to try to get out of the treatment center?
2. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
3. Where does Michael go when Reuven goes in the house?
4. What does Ruth Gordon want?
5. What is Reuven's father's response to Reuven's meetings with Kalman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael say about Rav Kalman's article?
2. What is the impact of David Malter's book and Kalman's ensuing article on the Yeshiva where David teaches?
3. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
4. What does Danny think about isolation and what does Danny want Reuven to do?
5. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
6. What happens when Reuven goes in to Michael's room to see him after the fire?
7. What does Kalman think about Reuven as his student?
8. Describe the altercation between Kalman and Greenfield.
9. What explanation does Kalman offer for his attack on Greenfield the day before in class?
10. What does Reuven tell his father about his meetings with Rav Kalman and what is David Malter's response?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)