|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) They render the texts useless.
(b) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
(c) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
(d) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
2. For what is Reuven preparing?
(a) His smicha examination.
(c) To travel to a European Yeshiva.
(d) To visit Michael.
3. What surprises Reuven's father?
(a) That Reuven is dating Rachel seriously.
(b) That Reuven is quitting seminary.
(c) That Kalman apologized to a student.
(d) Learning of Danny and Rachel's relationship.
4. What does Reuven read that infuriates him?
(a) A letter from Michael to his father.
(b) A letter from Rachel to Danny.
(c) A note from Rav Kalman to him.
(d) The second half of Kalman's article about David Malter's book.
5. What does Kalman say to Reuven in class?
(a) He acts as though nothing is different.
(c) Only what is relevant to the daily lesson.
(d) He apologizes for his article about Reuven's father's book.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
2. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
3. Where is Reuven summoned at the end of the chapter?
4. How does David Malter react to the article Kalman writes about Malter's book?
5. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is David Malter's recent book release still affecting the community?
2. What does Danny tell Reuven and what is Reuven's reaction?
3. What does Reuven argue at his smicha exam and why is that upsetting to Kalman and Gershenson?
4. What happens when Reuven goes in to Michael's room to see him after the fire?
5. What does Kalman say to Reuven about his smicha exam?
6. Describe Abe Greenfield and his problem at opening of Chapter 8.
7. What do Danny, Rachel, Reuven and Eileen go to see and what is their response?
8. What do Reuven and Gordon discuss when they meet in this chapter?
9. What small breakthrough happens with Michael, and what does his mother want?
10. What does Reuven think about the reason for orthodox Jews to become so stubborn?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)