|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danny tell Reuven about Kalman?
(a) Kalman is speaking next week at the theological seminar.
(b) Kalman has become engaged.
(c) Kalman has said disturbing things about Reuven.
(d) Kalman has written a review of David Malter's book.
2. For what is Reuven preparing?
(a) To visit Michael.
(b) His smicha examination.
(d) To travel to a European Yeshiva.
3. With whom does Rav Kalman have an intense argument?
(a) Professor Gordon.
(b) David Malter.
(c) Reuven Malter.
(d) Rav Gershenson.
4. What does Ruth Gordon want?
(a) Michael to be moved to an institution.
(b) Rachel to marry Danny soon.
(c) The experiment on Michael stopped.
(d) Rachel to marry Ruth's best friend's son.
5. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
(a) Mary and Danny.
(b) A new psychiatrist at the hospital.
(c) His father.
(d) Just Danny.
6. How does David Malter react to the article Kalman writes about Malter's book?
7. What enrages Michael and causes him to organize a group of boys to try to get out of the treatment center?
(a) Learning that Professor Gordon has conceded many issues to the orthodoxy.
(b) Danny telling Michael he is to be institutionalized.
(c) Professor Gordon telling Michael he will be disinherited.
(d) Michael learning that Danny and Rachel are involved romantically.
8. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
(a) His father forbids him to attend seminary any longer.
(b) He had a major final in another class.
(c) He has been ill.
(d) He is prepared.
9. What surprises Kalman's Torah class?
(a) Kalman's humility.
(b) Kalman's announcement about his teacher.
(c) Kalman's apology to Greenfield.
(d) Kalman's behavior towards Professor Gordon.
10. What does Michael say to a nurse?
(a) He is abandoning Judaism.
(b) He is never going to talk to his father again.
(c) He knows what he must do.
(d) He is leaving the United States.
11. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
(b) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
(c) To help Reuven's father feel better.
(d) To leave seminary.
12. Who does Professor Gordon want as his student?
(d) No one; he wants to quit teaching.
13. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
(a) Bring his father in to talk with Kalman.
(b) Make a decision.
(c) Write an essay comparing orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(d) Write an interpretation using strictly orthodox standards.
14. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(b) The Frankel library.
(c) Professor Gordon's home.
(d) A sailboat on the East River.
15. What concerns Rachel about the idea of marrying Danny?
(a) That he would want to bring their children up in the same fashion in which he was raised.
(b) That her uncle would say no.
(c) That Michael would be hurt.
(d) That Reuven would be hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
2. What does Michael still refuse to do?
3. What does Danny give Michael?
4. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
5. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)