|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael still refuse to do?
(a) Go to synagogue.
(b) Admit he has a problem.
(c) Talk about himself.
2. What do the teachers at Professor Gordon's school think about David Malter's book?
(a) They think it is heretical.
(b) They have serious reservations.
(c) They love it.
(d) They think it is poorly written.
3. For what is Reuven preparing?
(a) To visit Michael.
(b) His smicha examination.
(c) To travel to a European Yeshiva.
4. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(b) He is self taught.
(c) His father.
(d) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
5. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
(a) Because of the beatings by his father when Rav Kalman is young.
(b) Because he knows he is right.
(c) No one knows why.
(d) Because of the horrific events of the holocaust.
6. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(a) Advanced calculus.
(b) Finite mathematics.
7. How does Reuven's response to one exam question shock the examiners?
(a) It is radical beyond heterodoxy.
(b) It suggests that the Talmud did not entirely contain the principles of its own interpretation.
(c) It is in a scope and depth not expected by students.
(d) It reveals Reuven's lack of faith.
8. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
(a) A new psychiatrist at the hospital.
(b) Just Danny.
(c) Mary and Danny.
(d) His father.
9. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
(b) An invitation to a theological discussion.
(c) A copy of David Malter's book.
(d) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
10. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
11. Who asks Danny to visit?
(a) David Malter.
(b) Professor Mink.
(c) Abraham Gordon.
(d) Rav Kalman.
12. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) A sailboat on the East River.
(b) The Frankel library.
(c) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(d) Professor Gordon's home.
13. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) How to sail in a heavy wind.
(b) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(c) Michael's future career.
(d) Michael's treatment and situation.
14. Where is David Malter offered a position?
(a) He does not want a new position.
(b) At the Yeshiva where Professor Gordon teaches.
(c) At the Frankel Seminary.
15. What has Michael asked?
(a) To see Reuven.
(b) To see Rachel.
(c) To be allowed to leave the treatment center and make his own way in the world.
(d) To emigrate to Israel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kalman say to Reuven in class?
2. How is Michael's treatment progressing?
3. To whom does Kalman apologize?
4. Who is Abe Greenfield?
5. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)