|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Michael's treatment progressing?
(a) It has cured Michael and he is going home.
(b) It is not productive as yet.
(c) It is going as planned.
(d) It has been terminated.
2. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
(a) No one.
(b) The great commentators of old.
(c) Anyone who has studied the necessary prerequisites.
(d) Only an ordained Rabbi.
3. What has Michael asked?
(a) To see Reuven.
(b) To emigrate to Israel.
(c) To be allowed to leave the treatment center and make his own way in the world.
(d) To see Rachel.
4. Where is Reuven summoned at the end of the chapter?
(a) To visit a Yeshiva in Israel as a guest lecturer.
(b) To visit the foremost Rabbi alive at the time.
(c) To meet with two other Yeshivas who have job offers.
(d) To see Michael.
5. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
(a) Take Michael home.
(b) Send him to the West Coast to a successful clinic.
(c) Send him to Paris where they are successfully treating his problem.
(d) Let them try isolation therapy on Michael..
6. What does Michael still refuse to do?
(a) Admit he has a problem.
(c) Go to synagogue.
(d) Talk about himself.
7. How does Reuven's father encourage Reuven to act towards Kalman?
(c) He encourages Reuven not to meet with Kalman.
8. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
(a) Just Danny.
(b) His father.
(c) A new psychiatrist at the hospital.
(d) Mary and Danny.
9. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(b) Advanced calculus.
(d) Finite mathematics.
10. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
(a) Men who are ambitious.
(b) Tradition and innovation.
(c) He does not feel caught between anything.
(d) Men who desire power.
11. What does Danny give Michael?
(a) A request to meet with another doctor.
(b) A copy of the article Kalman writes about David Malter's book.
(c) A weekend pass to go home.
(d) An invitation to a debate.
12. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
(a) His father forbids him to attend seminary any longer.
(b) He has been ill.
(c) He is prepared.
(d) He had a major final in another class.
13. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
(b) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
(c) They render the texts useless.
(d) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
14. What surprises Reuven's father?
(a) That Kalman apologized to a student.
(b) That Reuven is dating Rachel seriously.
(c) Learning of Danny and Rachel's relationship.
(d) That Reuven is quitting seminary.
15. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
(a) They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.
(b) They observe the commandments.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) They are well educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
2. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
3. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
4. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
5. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)