|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
(a) Kalman believes Reuven is misguided by his father.
(b) Kalman does not know what to do with Reuven.
(c) Kalman thinks Reuven is not suited to being a Rabbi.
(d) Kalman thinks Reuven would be better as a hands-on Rabbi rather than a theoretical one.
2. What does Danny tell Reuven about Kalman?
(a) Kalman is speaking next week at the theological seminar.
(b) Kalman has written a review of David Malter's book.
(c) Kalman has said disturbing things about Reuven.
(d) Kalman has become engaged.
3. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
(b) For slapping Rachel.
(c) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
(d) For trying to slit his wrists.
4. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
(a) Men who are ambitious.
(b) He does not feel caught between anything.
(c) Tradition and innovation.
(d) Men who desire power.
5. What is Reuven's opinion about the proposed treatment for Michael?
(a) He thinks it is unlikely to make a difference.
(b) He thinks it is cruel.
(c) He has no opinion.
(d) He supports Danny.
6. What does Danny give Michael?
(a) A weekend pass to go home.
(b) A request to meet with another doctor.
(c) A copy of the article Kalman writes about David Malter's book.
(d) An invitation to a debate.
7. What does Rav Kalman ask during Reuven's oral exams?
(a) He refuses to ask Reuven a question.
(b) A question that is not supposed to be asked.
(c) To show the relation between two Jewish sects.
(d) To explain David's book.
8. To whom does Kalman apologize?
(a) Professor Gordon.
9. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
(a) Let them try isolation therapy on Michael..
(b) Take Michael home.
(c) Send him to the West Coast to a successful clinic.
(d) Send him to Paris where they are successfully treating his problem.
10. What has Michael asked?
(a) To see Rachel.
(b) To see Reuven.
(c) To be allowed to leave the treatment center and make his own way in the world.
(d) To emigrate to Israel.
11. From what school is Greenfield earning his Ph.D.?
12. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(b) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(c) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(d) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
13. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) A sailboat on the East River.
(b) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(c) The Frankel library.
(d) Professor Gordon's home.
14. What does Reuven continue to do with Rav Kalman?
(a) Explain David Malter's book.
(b) Read obscure textual commentaries.
(c) Argue with Rav Kalman about the existence of God.
(d) Try to get Rachel Gordon to date him.
15. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
(a) Greek and Latin.
(b) English and Latin.
(c) Greek and German.
(d) English and Greek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What film do Danny and Reuven and their dates go to see?
2. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
3. What does Reuven feel towards Kalman?
4. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
5. What does Reuven read that infuriates him?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)