|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) Professor Gordon's home.
(b) A sailboat on the East River.
(c) The Frankel library.
(d) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
2. What do the teachers at Professor Gordon's school think about David Malter's book?
(a) They think it is heretical.
(b) They have serious reservations.
(c) They think it is poorly written.
(d) They love it.
3. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Moves to Israel.
(b) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
(c) Stops coming to class.
(d) Threatens suicide.
4. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) Michael's future career.
(b) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(c) How to sail in a heavy wind.
(d) Michael's treatment and situation.
5. What does Michael perceive about many things?
(a) They are harmful.
(b) They belong to aliens.
(c) They are dirty.
(d) They are unreal.
6. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(b) He is self taught.
(c) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
(d) His father.
7. Who does Professor Gordon want as his student?
(d) No one; he wants to quit teaching.
8. Who does Michael talk about?
(d) Professor Gordon.
9. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For slapping Rachel.
(b) For trying to slit his wrists.
(c) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
(d) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
10. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
(b) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
(c) They render the texts useless.
(d) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
11. What does Reuven feel towards Kalman?
12. From what school is Greenfield earning his Ph.D.?
13. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
(a) Allow Reuven's heretics to influence others.
(b) Pass Reuven.
(c) Understand Reuven.
(d) Push Reuven away.
14. What is Reuven's opinion about the proposed treatment for Michael?
(a) He has no opinion.
(b) He thinks it is unlikely to make a difference.
(c) He supports Danny.
(d) He thinks it is cruel.
15. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(b) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(c) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(d) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
2. What does Danny give Michael?
3. Where is Reuven at the opening of Chapter 9?
4. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
5. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)