|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the teachers at Professor Gordon's school think about David Malter's book?
(a) They think it is heretical.
(b) They love it.
(c) They think it is poorly written.
(d) They have serious reservations.
2. How does David Malter react to the article Kalman writes about Malter's book?
3. How is Michael's treatment progressing?
(a) It has been terminated.
(b) It is going as planned.
(c) It is not productive as yet.
(d) It has cured Michael and he is going home.
4. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
(b) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
5. With whom does Reb Saunders think Danny is involved?
(a) Rachel Gordon.
(b) A reformed Jewish woman.
(c) No one.
(d) A Christian girl.
6. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
(a) They use different interpretive methods.
(b) They base their research on different texts.
(c) One takes an academic approach and one takes a literal approach.
(d) They base their research on the same texts but different editions.
7. What surprises Reuven's father?
(a) That Kalman apologized to a student.
(b) That Reuven is quitting seminary.
(c) Learning of Danny and Rachel's relationship.
(d) That Reuven is dating Rachel seriously.
8. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Threatens suicide.
(b) Stops coming to class.
(c) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
(d) Moves to Israel.
9. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
(b) To leave seminary.
(c) To help Reuven's father feel better.
(d) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
10. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) His father.
(b) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(c) He is self taught.
(d) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
11. What does Rav Kalman ask during Reuven's oral exams?
(a) He refuses to ask Reuven a question.
(b) A question that is not supposed to be asked.
(c) To show the relation between two Jewish sects.
(d) To explain David's book.
12. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(b) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(c) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(d) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
13. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
(a) To tell him he is recommending expulsion from the seminary.
(b) To give him an extra assignment.
(c) To ask him to do some research for Kalman.
(d) To ask Reuven about Reuven father's book.
14. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(b) Professor Gordon's home.
(c) A sailboat on the East River.
(d) The Frankel library.
15. Where is David Malter offered a position?
(b) At the Frankel Seminary.
(c) He does not want a new position.
(d) At the Yeshiva where Professor Gordon teaches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
2. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
3. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
4. What does Danny give Michael?
5. What is going on with Michael during this time?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)