|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(b) Advanced calculus.
(c) Finite mathematics.
2. With whom does Rav Kalman have an intense argument?
(a) Reuven Malter.
(b) Rav Gershenson.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) David Malter.
3. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
(b) David Malter may lose his job.
(c) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
(d) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
4. Who has been upset by Rav Kalman's article on David Malter's book?
(a) Most of the reformists.
(b) The orthodox immigrant faculty where David Malter works.
(c) No one; all know it is just the usualy academic give and take.
(d) Only the most extremist at Kalman's school.
5. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) He is self taught.
(b) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(c) His father.
(d) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
6. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(b) How to sail in a heavy wind.
(c) Michael's treatment and situation.
(d) Michael's future career.
7. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
(a) Greek and Latin.
(b) English and Latin.
(c) Greek and German.
(d) English and Greek.
8. What enrages Michael and causes him to organize a group of boys to try to get out of the treatment center?
(a) Professor Gordon telling Michael he will be disinherited.
(b) Michael learning that Danny and Rachel are involved romantically.
(c) Learning that Professor Gordon has conceded many issues to the orthodoxy.
(d) Danny telling Michael he is to be institutionalized.
9. For what is Reuven preparing?
(a) His smicha examination.
(b) To travel to a European Yeshiva.
(c) To visit Michael.
10. What does Danny say about Kotzker Rebbe?
(a) He is isolated.
(b) He is demonic.
(c) He is delusional.
(d) He is heroic.
11. Who does Michael talk about?
(a) Professor Gordon.
12. What does Michael say to a nurse?
(a) He knows what he must do.
(b) He is abandoning Judaism.
(c) He is never going to talk to his father again.
(d) He is leaving the United States.
13. With whom does Reb Saunders think Danny is involved?
(a) A Christian girl.
(b) A reformed Jewish woman.
(c) No one.
(d) Rachel Gordon.
14. What does Michael perceive about many things?
(a) They are harmful.
(b) They belong to aliens.
(c) They are unreal.
(d) They are dirty.
15. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
(a) To tell him he is recommending expulsion from the seminary.
(b) To ask Reuven about Reuven father's book.
(c) To give him an extra assignment.
(d) To ask him to do some research for Kalman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
2. What does Michael talk about in the field of astronomy?
3. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
4. Where is Reuven summoned at the end of the chapter?
5. Where is David Malter offered a position?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)