|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
2. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
(b) A copy of David Malter's book.
(c) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
(d) An invitation to a theological discussion.
3. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
(b) David Malter may lose his job.
(c) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
(d) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
4. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
(a) Kalman believes Reuven is misguided by his father.
(b) Kalman does not know what to do with Reuven.
(c) Kalman thinks Reuven would be better as a hands-on Rabbi rather than a theoretical one.
(d) Kalman thinks Reuven is not suited to being a Rabbi.
5. What does Danny say about Kotzker Rebbe?
(a) He is isolated.
(b) He is heroic.
(c) He is demonic.
(d) He is delusional.
6. Who does Reuven visit after speaking with Kalman?
(b) David Malter.
(c) Danny Saunders.
(d) Rachel Gordon.
7. What enrages Michael and causes him to organize a group of boys to try to get out of the treatment center?
(a) Learning that Professor Gordon has conceded many issues to the orthodoxy.
(b) Danny telling Michael he is to be institutionalized.
(c) Professor Gordon telling Michael he will be disinherited.
(d) Michael learning that Danny and Rachel are involved romantically.
8. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
(b) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
9. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For slapping Rachel.
(b) For trying to slit his wrists.
(c) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
(d) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
10. What does Ruth Gordon want?
(a) Rachel to marry Danny soon.
(b) Rachel to marry Ruth's best friend's son.
(c) The experiment on Michael stopped.
(d) Michael to be moved to an institution.
11. What surprises Kalman's Torah class?
(a) Kalman's behavior towards Professor Gordon.
(b) Kalman's announcement about his teacher.
(c) Kalman's apology to Greenfield.
(d) Kalman's humility.
12. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
(a) English and Greek.
(b) English and Latin.
(c) Greek and German.
(d) Greek and Latin.
13. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
14. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
(a) Because he knows he is right.
(b) Because of the beatings by his father when Rav Kalman is young.
(c) No one knows why.
(d) Because of the horrific events of the holocaust.
15. What surprises Reuven's father?
(a) Learning of Danny and Rachel's relationship.
(b) That Reuven is quitting seminary.
(c) That Reuven is dating Rachel seriously.
(d) That Kalman apologized to a student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rav Kalman ask during Reuven's oral exams?
2. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
3. Where does Reuven go after Kalman's class?
4. Who does Professor Gordon want as his student?
5. What does Michael talk about in the field of astronomy?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)