|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
(a) Send him to Paris where they are successfully treating his problem.
(b) Send him to the West Coast to a successful clinic.
(c) Let them try isolation therapy on Michael..
(d) Take Michael home.
2. What does Reuven resist that Michael is saying?
(a) That there is no god.
(b) That Kalman is vicious and evil.
(c) That Michael should be allowed to come stay with Reuven.
(d) That God is not interested in Reb Kalman.
3. To whom does Kalman apologize?
(b) Professor Gordon.
4. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
(b) An invitation to a theological discussion.
(c) A copy of David Malter's book.
(d) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
5. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
(a) Allow Reuven's heretics to influence others.
(b) Push Reuven away.
(c) Pass Reuven.
(d) Understand Reuven.
6. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
7. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
(a) They base their research on the same texts but different editions.
(b) They use different interpretive methods.
(c) They base their research on different texts.
(d) One takes an academic approach and one takes a literal approach.
8. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(b) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(c) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(d) The formation of a rabbinics department.
9. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) The Frankel library.
(b) A sailboat on the East River.
(c) Professor Gordon's home.
(d) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
10. What does Danny give Michael?
(a) A weekend pass to go home.
(b) A request to meet with another doctor.
(c) An invitation to a debate.
(d) A copy of the article Kalman writes about David Malter's book.
11. From what school is Greenfield earning his Ph.D.?
12. Where does Reuven go after Kalman's class?
(a) To sail.
(b) To see Michael.
(c) To talk to the Rabbi of his synogogue.
(d) To see Rachel.
13. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
(a) His father forbids him to attend seminary any longer.
(b) He has been ill.
(c) He had a major final in another class.
(d) He is prepared.
14. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
(a) Kalman thinks Reuven is not suited to being a Rabbi.
(b) Kalman does not know what to do with Reuven.
(c) Kalman believes Reuven is misguided by his father.
(d) Kalman thinks Reuven would be better as a hands-on Rabbi rather than a theoretical one.
15. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
(b) To help Reuven's father feel better.
(c) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
(d) To leave seminary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
2. What does Michael still refuse to do?
3. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
4. Who asks Danny to visit?
5. What is Reuven's father's response to Reuven's meetings with Kalman?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)