|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(b) Advanced calculus.
(c) Finite mathematics.
2. What does Ruth Gordon want?
(a) Rachel to marry Danny soon.
(b) Rachel to marry Ruth's best friend's son.
(c) The experiment on Michael stopped.
(d) Michael to be moved to an institution.
3. What does Michael say to a nurse?
(a) He is leaving the United States.
(b) He is never going to talk to his father again.
(c) He is abandoning Judaism.
(d) He knows what he must do.
4. How is Michael's treatment progressing?
(a) It has been terminated.
(b) It has cured Michael and he is going home.
(c) It is not productive as yet.
(d) It is going as planned.
5. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(b) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(c) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(d) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
6. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(b) Michael's future career.
(c) Michael's treatment and situation.
(d) How to sail in a heavy wind.
7. From what school is Greenfield earning his Ph.D.?
8. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
(a) Orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(b) The physical and spiritual worlds.
(c) Zeal and apathy.
(d) Hot and cold.
9. What concerns Rachel about the idea of marrying Danny?
(a) That her uncle would say no.
(b) That he would want to bring their children up in the same fashion in which he was raised.
(c) That Michael would be hurt.
(d) That Reuven would be hurt.
10. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
(a) They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.
(b) They are well educated.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) They observe the commandments.
11. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
(a) His father.
(b) A new psychiatrist at the hospital.
(c) Mary and Danny.
(d) Just Danny.
12. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
(a) Send him to the West Coast to a successful clinic.
(b) Take Michael home.
(c) Send him to Paris where they are successfully treating his problem.
(d) Let them try isolation therapy on Michael..
13. What does Reuven resist that Michael is saying?
(a) That Kalman is vicious and evil.
(b) That there is no god.
(c) That God is not interested in Reb Kalman.
(d) That Michael should be allowed to come stay with Reuven.
14. What does Reuven continue to do with Rav Kalman?
(a) Argue with Rav Kalman about the existence of God.
(b) Read obscure textual commentaries.
(c) Explain David Malter's book.
(d) Try to get Rachel Gordon to date him.
15. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
(a) Because of the horrific events of the holocaust.
(b) No one knows why.
(c) Because he knows he is right.
(d) Because of the beatings by his father when Rav Kalman is young.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Reuven preparing?
2. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
3. What surprises Reuven's father?
4. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
5. What is going on with Michael during this time?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)