|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reuven notice about his father?
(a) He seems more optimistic.
(b) Nothing in particular.
(c) He seems depressed and sick.
(d) He is moving on to other projects.
2. What is Reuven's father's response to Reuven's meetings with Kalman?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He is frustrated and saddened.
(c) He does not know about them.
(d) He is angry.
3. Who does Professor Gordon want as his student?
(d) No one; he wants to quit teaching.
4. Why does Michael think his father exhausts himself?
(a) To save religion.
(b) To find a cure for Michael.
(c) To feel good about his life.
(d) To prove God exists.
5. What does Danny say about Kotzker Rebbe?
(a) He is heroic.
(b) He is isolated.
(c) He is delusional.
(d) He is demonic.
6. What does Kalman say to Reuven in class?
(a) Only what is relevant to the daily lesson.
(b) He apologizes for his article about Reuven's father's book.
(d) He acts as though nothing is different.
7. How does Reuven's father encourage Reuven to act towards Kalman?
(d) He encourages Reuven not to meet with Kalman.
8. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
(a) Write an interpretation using strictly orthodox standards.
(b) Write an essay comparing orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(c) Make a decision.
(d) Bring his father in to talk with Kalman.
9. Where does Michael go when Reuven goes in the house?
(a) To the beach.
(b) To see Reb Kalman.
(c) Back to the treatment center.
(d) To a pagoda.
10. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
(a) They are well educated.
(b) They observe the commandments.
(c) They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.
(d) They are wealthy.
11. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(b) Professor Gordon's home.
(c) A sailboat on the East River.
(d) The Frankel library.
12. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To help Reuven's father feel better.
(b) To leave seminary.
(c) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
(d) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
13. Who has been upset by Rav Kalman's article on David Malter's book?
(a) The orthodox immigrant faculty where David Malter works.
(b) Only the most extremist at Kalman's school.
(c) Most of the reformists.
(d) No one; all know it is just the usualy academic give and take.
14. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(b) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(c) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(d) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
15. With whom does Reb Saunders think Danny is involved?
(a) No one.
(b) A Christian girl.
(c) A reformed Jewish woman.
(d) Rachel Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
2. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
3. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
4. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
5. What has Michael asked?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)