|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what school is Greenfield earning his Ph.D.?
2. With whom does Reb Saunders think Danny is involved?
(a) A Christian girl.
(b) No one.
(c) Rachel Gordon.
(d) A reformed Jewish woman.
3. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(b) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
(c) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(d) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
4. Who is Abe Greenfield?
(a) A student in Reuven's class at seminary.
(b) A friend with whom Reuven is sailing.
(c) The young man Rachel is dating.
(d) Danny's cousin.
5. What has Michael asked?
(a) To see Reuven.
(b) To emigrate to Israel.
(c) To be allowed to leave the treatment center and make his own way in the world.
(d) To see Rachel.
6. What does Rav Kalman ask during Reuven's oral exams?
(a) He refuses to ask Reuven a question.
(b) A question that is not supposed to be asked.
(c) To explain David's book.
(d) To show the relation between two Jewish sects.
7. Who has been upset by Rav Kalman's article on David Malter's book?
(a) No one; all know it is just the usualy academic give and take.
(b) Most of the reformists.
(c) Only the most extremist at Kalman's school.
(d) The orthodox immigrant faculty where David Malter works.
8. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
9. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
(a) Pass Reuven.
(b) Understand Reuven.
(c) Allow Reuven's heretics to influence others.
(d) Push Reuven away.
10. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
(a) Men who desire power.
(b) Tradition and innovation.
(c) Men who are ambitious.
(d) He does not feel caught between anything.
11. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
(b) David Malter may lose his job.
(c) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
(d) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
12. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
(b) To leave seminary.
(c) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
(d) To help Reuven's father feel better.
13. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
(a) Orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(b) Zeal and apathy.
(c) The physical and spiritual worlds.
(d) Hot and cold.
14. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
(a) Because of the beatings by his father when Rav Kalman is young.
(b) Because of the horrific events of the holocaust.
(c) No one knows why.
(d) Because he knows he is right.
15. What does Michael say to a nurse?
(a) He knows what he must do.
(b) He is never going to talk to his father again.
(c) He is leaving the United States.
(d) He is abandoning Judaism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reuven resist that Michael is saying?
2. With whom does Greenfield argue?
3. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
4. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
5. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)