|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(b) Michael's treatment and situation.
(c) Michael's future career.
(d) How to sail in a heavy wind.
2. Where does Reuven go after Kalman's class?
(a) To talk to the Rabbi of his synogogue.
(b) To sail.
(c) To see Michael.
(d) To see Rachel.
3. What is going on with Michael during this time?
(a) He is sitting silent and motionless on his mattress.
(b) He is talking about his feelings finally.
(c) He has killed himself.
(d) He is in a coma.
4. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
(b) A copy of David Malter's book.
(c) An invitation to a theological discussion.
(d) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
5. To whom does Kalman apologize?
(c) Professor Gordon.
6. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) Professor Gordon's home.
(b) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
(c) A sailboat on the East River.
(d) The Frankel library.
7. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(a) Advanced calculus.
(d) Finite mathematics.
8. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For slapping Rachel.
(b) For trying to slit his wrists.
(c) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
(d) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
9. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
(b) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
(c) They render the texts useless.
(d) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
10. Why does Michael think his father exhausts himself?
(a) To prove God exists.
(b) To save religion.
(c) To feel good about his life.
(d) To find a cure for Michael.
11. Who asks Danny to visit?
(a) Professor Mink.
(b) Abraham Gordon.
(c) David Malter.
(d) Rav Kalman.
12. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
(a) To ask Reuven about Reuven father's book.
(b) To give him an extra assignment.
(c) To ask him to do some research for Kalman.
(d) To tell him he is recommending expulsion from the seminary.
13. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
14. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
(a) Kalman thinks Reuven is not suited to being a Rabbi.
(b) Kalman thinks Reuven would be better as a hands-on Rabbi rather than a theoretical one.
(c) Kalman does not know what to do with Reuven.
(d) Kalman believes Reuven is misguided by his father.
15. With whom does Rav Kalman have an intense argument?
(a) Rav Gershenson.
(b) Reuven Malter.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) David Malter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
2. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
3. What does Reuven resist that Michael is saying?
4. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
5. What does Reuven read that infuriates him?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)