|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
(a) Understand Reuven.
(b) Pass Reuven.
(c) Allow Reuven's heretics to influence others.
(d) Push Reuven away.
2. Where is Reuven at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) In another of Rav Kalman's classes.
(b) With Michael.
(c) In the Frankel library.
(d) With Danny.
3. What is going on with Michael during this time?
(a) He is in a coma.
(b) He is talking about his feelings finally.
(c) He is sitting silent and motionless on his mattress.
(d) He has killed himself.
4. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
(b) A copy of David Malter's book.
(c) An invitation to a theological discussion.
(d) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
5. Where is Reuven summoned at the end of the chapter?
(a) To visit a Yeshiva in Israel as a guest lecturer.
(b) To visit the foremost Rabbi alive at the time.
(c) To see Michael.
(d) To meet with two other Yeshivas who have job offers.
6. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
(a) Write an essay comparing orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(b) Bring his father in to talk with Kalman.
(c) Write an interpretation using strictly orthodox standards.
(d) Make a decision.
7. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
(a) Any scholar's insistence on breaking from traditional methods of interpretation.
(b) The Jews having had so much previous Talmudic work destroyed during WWII.
(c) David Malter's claims that there are errors in the transcriptions of the Talmud.
(d) No having a definitive authority since WWII.
8. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
9. From what school is Greenfield earning his Ph.D.?
10. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
11. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
(a) Orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(b) The physical and spiritual worlds.
(c) Zeal and apathy.
(d) Hot and cold.
12. What is Reuven's opinion about the proposed treatment for Michael?
(a) He has no opinion.
(b) He supports Danny.
(c) He thinks it is cruel.
(d) He thinks it is unlikely to make a difference.
13. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
(b) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
14. What is Reuven's father's response to Reuven's meetings with Kalman?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He does not know about them.
(c) He is frustrated and saddened.
(d) He is angry.
15. What does Ruth Gordon want?
(a) Michael to be moved to an institution.
(b) Rachel to marry Danny soon.
(c) Rachel to marry Ruth's best friend's son.
(d) The experiment on Michael stopped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been upset by Rav Kalman's article on David Malter's book?
2. What does Reuven realize about Danny's work with Michael?
3. Where does Michael go when Reuven goes in the house?
4. What does Rav Kalman ask during Reuven's oral exams?
5. Where is David Malter offered a position?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)