|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(a) Finite mathematics.
(b) Advanced calculus.
2. What do the teachers at Professor Gordon's school think about David Malter's book?
(a) They have serious reservations.
(b) They think it is poorly written.
(c) They think it is heretical.
(d) They love it.
3. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
4. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
(a) Greek and German.
(b) English and Latin.
(c) Greek and Latin.
(d) English and Greek.
5. What is Reuven's father's response to Reuven's meetings with Kalman?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He does not know about them.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is frustrated and saddened.
6. How does David Malter react to the article Kalman writes about Malter's book?
7. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
(b) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
8. What does Reuven realize about Danny's work with Michael?
(a) It is motivated by deep compassion.
(b) It is ineffective.
(c) It is an attempt to justify Danny's own life choices.
(d) It is a shot in the dark.
9. How does Reuven's response to one exam question shock the examiners?
(a) It suggests that the Talmud did not entirely contain the principles of its own interpretation.
(b) It is in a scope and depth not expected by students.
(c) It reveals Reuven's lack of faith.
(d) It is radical beyond heterodoxy.
10. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
(b) David Malter may lose his job.
(c) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
(d) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
11. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(b) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(c) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(d) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
12. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
(a) The great commentators of old.
(b) No one.
(c) Only an ordained Rabbi.
(d) Anyone who has studied the necessary prerequisites.
13. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
(a) Tradition and innovation.
(b) Men who desire power.
(c) Men who are ambitious.
(d) He does not feel caught between anything.
14. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
(a) David Malter's claims that there are errors in the transcriptions of the Talmud.
(b) Any scholar's insistence on breaking from traditional methods of interpretation.
(c) The Jews having had so much previous Talmudic work destroyed during WWII.
(d) No having a definitive authority since WWII.
15. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
(a) He is prepared.
(b) His father forbids him to attend seminary any longer.
(c) He had a major final in another class.
(d) He has been ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michael talk about?
2. What film do Danny and Reuven and their dates go to see?
3. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
4. What does Michael say to a nurse?
5. What does Reuven feel towards Kalman?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)