|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Greenfield argue?
(d) No one.
2. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) His father.
(b) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(c) He is self taught.
(d) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
3. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Stops coming to class.
(b) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
(c) Threatens suicide.
(d) Moves to Israel.
4. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) David Malter may lose his job.
(b) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
(c) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
(d) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
5. What does Ruth Gordon want?
(a) Michael to be moved to an institution.
(b) The experiment on Michael stopped.
(c) Rachel to marry Ruth's best friend's son.
(d) Rachel to marry Danny soon.
6. What does Danny want Reuven to convince Michael's parents to do?
(a) Send him to the West Coast to a successful clinic.
(b) Let them try isolation therapy on Michael..
(c) Send him to Paris where they are successfully treating his problem.
(d) Take Michael home.
7. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
(b) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
(c) For slapping Rachel.
(d) For trying to slit his wrists.
8. For what is Reuven preparing?
(b) His smicha examination.
(c) To visit Michael.
(d) To travel to a European Yeshiva.
9. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
(a) He is prepared.
(b) He has been ill.
(c) He had a major final in another class.
(d) His father forbids him to attend seminary any longer.
10. How many typographical errors does Reuven's father find in his new book?
11. What does Michael perceive about many things?
(a) They are unreal.
(b) They are harmful.
(c) They are dirty.
(d) They belong to aliens.
12. What does Reuven read that infuriates him?
(a) A note from Rav Kalman to him.
(b) The second half of Kalman's article about David Malter's book.
(c) A letter from Michael to his father.
(d) A letter from Rachel to Danny.
13. What surprises Kalman's Torah class?
(a) Kalman's apology to Greenfield.
(b) Kalman's humility.
(c) Kalman's behavior towards Professor Gordon.
(d) Kalman's announcement about his teacher.
14. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
(a) Zeal and apathy.
(b) Orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(c) The physical and spiritual worlds.
(d) Hot and cold.
15. What does Reuven realize about Danny's work with Michael?
(a) It is ineffective.
(b) It is an attempt to justify Danny's own life choices.
(c) It is a shot in the dark.
(d) It is motivated by deep compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danny tell Reuven about Kalman?
2. What does Reuven notice about his father?
3. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
4. How is Michael's treatment progressing?
5. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)