|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Greenfield argue?
(d) No one.
2. To whom does Reuven talk about Michael's actions?
(a) Just Danny.
(b) A new psychiatrist at the hospital.
(c) His father.
(d) Mary and Danny.
3. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
(a) That Danny's father is very perturbed with Danny.
(b) That Reuven is not going to see Michael anymore.
(c) That Reuven told Reb Saunders about Danny's involvement with Rachel.
(d) That Danny's father is delighted to hear about Rachel.
4. What do Danny and Michael discuss at the opening to Chapter 12?
(a) Why the orthodox Jews are so rigid.
(b) Michael's treatment and situation.
(c) How to sail in a heavy wind.
(d) Michael's future career.
5. What does Michael still refuse to do?
(a) Talk about himself.
(b) Admit he has a problem.
(d) Go to synagogue.
6. What does Ruth Gordon want?
(a) The experiment on Michael stopped.
(b) Michael to be moved to an institution.
(c) Rachel to marry Ruth's best friend's son.
(d) Rachel to marry Danny soon.
7. What languages are difficult for Kalman in reading David Malter's book?
(a) Greek and German.
(b) Greek and Latin.
(c) English and Latin.
(d) English and Greek.
8. Where is Reuven summoned at the end of the chapter?
(a) To visit the foremost Rabbi alive at the time.
(b) To visit a Yeshiva in Israel as a guest lecturer.
(c) To see Michael.
(d) To meet with two other Yeshivas who have job offers.
9. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
(a) A sailboat on the East River.
(b) Professor Gordon's home.
(c) The Frankel library.
(d) Rav Kalman's Torah class.
10. With whom does Rav Kalman have an intense argument?
(a) David Malter.
(b) Reuven Malter.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Rav Gershenson.
11. How does Reuven's father encourage Reuven to act towards Kalman?
(d) He encourages Reuven not to meet with Kalman.
12. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
(a) Pass Reuven.
(b) Push Reuven away.
(c) Allow Reuven's heretics to influence others.
(d) Understand Reuven.
13. What does Reuven realize about Danny's work with Michael?
(a) It is motivated by deep compassion.
(b) It is a shot in the dark.
(c) It is ineffective.
(d) It is an attempt to justify Danny's own life choices.
14. What concerns Rachel about the idea of marrying Danny?
(a) That her uncle would say no.
(b) That Reuven would be hurt.
(c) That Michael would be hurt.
(d) That he would want to bring their children up in the same fashion in which he was raised.
15. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) His father.
(b) He is self taught.
(c) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(d) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
2. What does Reuven resist that Michael is saying?
3. What does Reuven feel towards Kalman?
4. What does Danny give Michael?
5. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)