|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Kalman apologize?
(d) Professor Gordon.
2. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
(a) His father.
(b) He is self taught.
(c) He does not mention from where he learns the Torah.
(d) One of the greatest teachers of the Torah in the world.
3. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
(a) They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.
(b) They are wealthy.
(c) They observe the commandments.
(d) They are well educated.
4. Who does Michael talk about?
(a) Professor Gordon.
5. How does Reuven's father encourage Reuven to act towards Kalman?
(a) He encourages Reuven not to meet with Kalman.
6. Who does Kalman believe has the authority to interpret ancient Hebrew texts?
(a) Anyone who has studied the necessary prerequisites.
(b) The great commentators of old.
(c) No one.
(d) Only an ordained Rabbi.
7. What does Danny say about Kotzker Rebbe?
(a) He is demonic.
(b) He is delusional.
(c) He is heroic.
(d) He is isolated.
8. For what is Reuven preparing?
(a) To visit Michael.
(b) His smicha examination.
(c) To travel to a European Yeshiva.
9. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
10. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
(a) To tell him he is recommending expulsion from the seminary.
(b) To ask him to do some research for Kalman.
(c) To give him an extra assignment.
(d) To ask Reuven about Reuven father's book.
11. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Moves to Israel.
(b) Threatens suicide.
(c) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
(d) Stops coming to class.
12. What does Reuven take Danny on Friday?
(a) A written transcript of a conversation with Michael.
(b) A copy of Kalman's commentaries on David Malter's book.
(c) A copy of David Malter's book.
(d) An invitation to a theological discussion.
13. What do the teachers at Professor Gordon's school think about David Malter's book?
(a) They love it.
(b) They think it is poorly written.
(c) They have serious reservations.
(d) They think it is heretical.
14. Why does Michael think his father exhausts himself?
(a) To save religion.
(b) To feel good about his life.
(c) To find a cure for Michael.
(d) To prove God exists.
15. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
(a) Bring his father in to talk with Kalman.
(b) Make a decision.
(c) Write an essay comparing orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(d) Write an interpretation using strictly orthodox standards.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
2. What does Michael still refuse to do?
3. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
4. What does Danny give Michael?
5. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)