|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Reuven go after Kalman's class?
(a) To see Rachel.
(b) To talk to the Rabbi of his synogogue.
(c) To sail.
(d) To see Michael.
2. With whom does Greenfield argue?
(b) No one.
3. What does Michael perceive about many things?
(a) They belong to aliens.
(b) They are unreal.
(c) They are harmful.
(d) They are dirty.
4. What does Kalman keep telling Reuven as far as Reuven himself is concerned?
(a) Kalman thinks Reuven would be better as a hands-on Rabbi rather than a theoretical one.
(b) Kalman thinks Reuven is not suited to being a Rabbi.
(c) Kalman does not know what to do with Reuven.
(d) Kalman believes Reuven is misguided by his father.
5. What does Reuven continue to do with Rav Kalman?
(a) Read obscure textual commentaries.
(b) Argue with Rav Kalman about the existence of God.
(c) Explain David Malter's book.
(d) Try to get Rachel Gordon to date him.
6. What does Kalman say to Reuven in class?
(a) He acts as though nothing is different.
(c) He apologizes for his article about Reuven's father's book.
(d) Only what is relevant to the daily lesson.
7. According to David Malter, how do scribal errors influence his interpretation of texts?
(a) They render the texts useless.
(b) They do not have any bearing on how he interprets texts.
(c) The errors are not mentioned by the narrator.
(d) The errors give him the authority to re-interpret words.
8. What does Kalman think Reuven wavers between?
(a) Orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(b) Zeal and apathy.
(c) Hot and cold.
(d) The physical and spiritual worlds.
9. Who does Reuven visit after speaking with Kalman?
(b) Danny Saunders.
(c) David Malter.
(d) Rachel Gordon.
10. What enrages Michael and causes him to organize a group of boys to try to get out of the treatment center?
(a) Professor Gordon telling Michael he will be disinherited.
(b) Michael learning that Danny and Rachel are involved romantically.
(c) Danny telling Michael he is to be institutionalized.
(d) Learning that Professor Gordon has conceded many issues to the orthodoxy.
11. Who does Professor Gordon want as his student?
(a) No one; he wants to quit teaching.
12. How does David Malter react to the article Kalman writes about Malter's book?
13. Against what does Kalman fight?
(a) The exclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(b) The formation of a rabbinics department.
(c) The inclusion of Reuven in the group of examinees.
(d) Allowing Professor Gordon to guest lecture at his school.
14. What is Reuven's father's response to Reuven's meetings with Kalman?
(a) He is frustrated and saddened.
(b) He is grateful.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He does not know about them.
15. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
(b) For slapping Rachel.
(c) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
(d) For trying to slit his wrists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reuven tell Danny when he returns to Danny?
2. What does Reuven feel caught between in the religious community?
3. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
4. Who does Michael talk about?
5. What is the setting at the opening to Chapter 8?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)