|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abe Greenfield unprepared for class?
(a) His father forbids him to attend seminary any longer.
(b) He is prepared.
(c) He had a major final in another class.
(d) He has been ill.
2. What does Rav Kalman ask Reuven?
(a) To teach a class on heterodoxy.
(b) To leave seminary.
(c) To talk to Kalman about the tension between the two.
(d) To help Reuven's father feel better.
3. With whom does Greenfield argue?
(c) No one.
4. What does Reuven continue to do with Rav Kalman?
(a) Argue with Rav Kalman about the existence of God.
(b) Try to get Rachel Gordon to date him.
(c) Read obscure textual commentaries.
(d) Explain David Malter's book.
5. Why is Rav Kalman's orthodoxy so entrenched?
(a) Because of the beatings by his father when Rav Kalman is young.
(b) No one knows why.
(c) Because of the horrific events of the holocaust.
(d) Because he knows he is right.
6. Who is Abe Greenfield?
(a) A friend with whom Reuven is sailing.
(b) The young man Rachel is dating.
(c) A student in Reuven's class at seminary.
(d) Danny's cousin.
7. What does Reuven notice about his father?
(a) He seems depressed and sick.
(b) He seems more optimistic.
(c) He is moving on to other projects.
(d) Nothing in particular.
8. Out of what class does Greenfield stalk?
(c) Finite mathematics.
(d) Advanced calculus.
9. How do David Malter and Rav Kalman differ academically?
(a) They use different interpretive methods.
(b) They base their research on different texts.
(c) One takes an academic approach and one takes a literal approach.
(d) They base their research on the same texts but different editions.
10. What does Kalman claim unravels and destroys the Talmud's authority?
(a) No having a definitive authority since WWII.
(b) Any scholar's insistence on breaking from traditional methods of interpretation.
(c) The Jews having had so much previous Talmudic work destroyed during WWII.
(d) David Malter's claims that there are errors in the transcriptions of the Talmud.
11. With whom does Rav Kalman have an intense argument?
(a) David Malter.
(b) Reuven Malter.
(c) Professor Gordon.
(d) Rav Gershenson.
12. What does Danny tell Reuven about Kalman?
(a) Kalman has written a review of David Malter's book.
(b) Kalman has become engaged.
(c) Kalman is speaking next week at the theological seminar.
(d) Kalman has said disturbing things about Reuven.
13. What surprises Reuven's father?
(a) That Reuven is dating Rachel seriously.
(b) That Reuven is quitting seminary.
(c) That Kalman apologized to a student.
(d) Learning of Danny and Rachel's relationship.
14. What does Kalman say he cannot do?
(a) Understand Reuven.
(b) Allow Reuven's heretics to influence others.
(c) Pass Reuven.
(d) Push Reuven away.
15. Why does Kalman ask Reuven to stay after class?
(a) To ask him to do some research for Kalman.
(b) To tell him he is recommending expulsion from the seminary.
(c) To ask Reuven about Reuven father's book.
(d) To give him an extra assignment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Reuven visit after speaking with Kalman?
2. Who does Kalman say was his teacher of the Torah?
3. What concerns Rachel about the idea of marrying Danny?
4. What is going on with Michael during this time?
5. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)