|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael talk about in the field of astronomy?
(a) The universe as god's playground.
(b) The North Star.
(c) The new galaxies born every minute.
(d) Red giants and white dwarfs.
2. What does Kalman do in protest about the planned changes at his school?
(a) Stops coming to class.
(b) Moves to Israel.
(c) Threatens suicide.
(d) Leaves the United States for his homeland.
3. What surprises Reuven's father?
(a) Learning of Danny and Rachel's relationship.
(b) That Reuven is dating Rachel seriously.
(c) That Kalman apologized to a student.
(d) That Reuven is quitting seminary.
4. Where does Reuven go after Kalman's class?
(a) To see Rachel.
(b) To talk to the Rabbi of his synogogue.
(c) To sail.
(d) To see Michael.
5. What does Kalman say Reuven has to do before Kalman will offer his scholarly approval of Reuven?
(a) Write an interpretation using strictly orthodox standards.
(b) Write an essay comparing orthodoxy and heterodoxy.
(c) Make a decision.
(d) Bring his father in to talk with Kalman.
6. What does Danny tell Reuven about Kalman?
(a) Kalman has become engaged.
(b) Kalman has written a review of David Malter's book.
(c) Kalman has said disturbing things about Reuven.
(d) Kalman is speaking next week at the theological seminar.
7. What is Reb Saunders happy to think about the Gordon family?
(a) They are well educated.
(b) They are wealthy.
(c) They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.
(d) They observe the commandments.
8. What is Abe Greenfield's area of expertise?
9. Where is Reuven at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) With Danny.
(b) In the Frankel library.
(c) In another of Rav Kalman's classes.
(d) With Michael.
10. What is one consequence of the orthodox reaction to Rav Kalman's article?
(a) David Malter may lose his job.
(b) More scholars are leaving orthodoxy.
(c) The orthodox contingent at David's workplace do not know if they should approve of his book being published.
(d) More scholars are moving towards orthodoxy.
11. What does Michael say to a nurse?
(a) He is never going to talk to his father again.
(b) He is leaving the United States.
(c) He is abandoning Judaism.
(d) He knows what he must do.
12. What film do Danny and Reuven and their dates go to see?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Death of a Salesman.
(c) King Kong.
(d) Mutiny on the Bounty.
13. Why is Michael taken away?
(a) For trying to slit his wrists.
(b) For screaming obscenities at other patients.
(c) For slapping Rachel.
(d) For setting a fire and cutting Reuven.
14. To whom does Kalman apologize?
(b) Professor Gordon.
15. What is going on with Michael during this time?
(a) He is in a coma.
(b) He is talking about his feelings finally.
(c) He is sitting silent and motionless on his mattress.
(d) He has killed himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Greenfield argue?
2. What does Michael perceive about many things?
3. What surprises Kalman's Torah class?
4. What does Reuven notice about his father?
5. Out of what does David think Kalman is acting?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)