|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry die?
2. Whom does the Indian Commissioner think Outland should see about Cliff City?
3. Whom is the Professor named after?
4. What does Outland find in the irrigation main in the mesa?
5. What does Outland know when he makes his discovery in the mesa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Blake's hobby? What did he read about?
2. How did Outland affect the outcome of the Spanish Adventurers' novels?
3. What does Outland think about after he finds Cliff City?
4. What was Blake's personality like? How did this affect how others viewed him?
5. According to the Professor, when did he change from the young Kansas boy to the mature adult?
6. Had Outland lived, what would his life have looked like? Would he have lost his sense of adventure?
7. What does Outland find in the mesa?
8. When the Professor becomes re-acquainted with his childhood self, what does he think of his adult life?
9. When Outland lunches with the Director at the Smithsonian, what surprises him?
10. How does the mesa "come together" for Outland on his return from Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Lillian mean when she says, "The Oriental peoples didn't have an Age of Chivalry. They didn't need one?"
Essay Topic 2
How does the change of narrator mid-way through the novel change the novel? What does it add to the novel? What does it take away?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Professor's memory of himself as a boy affect him? What is the prevailing emotion that takes over?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)