|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the water in the natural springs in the mesa?
2. Where is the cabin that Outland and Blake live in while working for Sitwell?
3. Where had Blake bought a ticket to?
4. Why does the Professor NOT prepare for the fall school term?
5. How much did Lillian inherit from her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the work history of Henry Atkins?
2. Are the clerks at the Indian Commission in Washington truly interested in Cliff City?
3. Had Outland lived, what would his life have looked like? Would he have lost his sense of adventure?
4. According to the Professor, when did he change from the young Kansas boy to the mature adult?
5. What was Blake's personality like? How did this affect how others viewed him?
6. How does Outland react when he hears that Blake has sold the ancient objects from the ruins?
7. How does the mesa "come together" for Outland on his return from Washington?
8. Why do the cattle bolt from the mesa? What causes them to do this?
9. How did Outland affect the outcome of the Spanish Adventurers' novels?
10. What does Outland find in the mesa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of travel in the novel to all? What is the value that is received from traveling? What does it mean to each character? Is it a way to make memories or collect objects?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Professor's advice to Mrs. Crane? Why does he advise her in the way that he does? Do you think he is concerned with Mrs. Crane or his own family? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Should Dr. Crane get money for helping Outland? How much help do you think he helped? How much was his contribution?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)