|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Professor and Outland travel the second time?
2. How does Outland try to find Blake?
3. In the end, how does the Professor feel about his life?
4. What does Outland think of the people who built his discovery?
5. What do the men find in the Eagle's Nest?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the Professor, when did he change from the young Kansas boy to the mature adult?
2. How does the Professor justify not going to Europe with his wife, daughter, and son-in-law? What is the real reason for not going?
3. What was the protocol for men coming in from working on the railroad? What did Rodney Blake do? How did others view his appearance?
4. What was Blake's hobby? What did he read about?
5. When Outland lunches with the Director at the Smithsonian, what surprises him?
6. How does the mesa "come together" for Outland on his return from Washington?
7. Had Outland lived, what would his life have looked like? Would he have lost his sense of adventure?
8. What is the work history of Henry Atkins?
9. How does Outland's group know that the ancient city had not been attacked by enemies?
10. When the Professor thinks about Euripides, he thinks that maybe he lived in a cave because he had observed women so closely all his life. What does the Professor mean by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, what was the importance of the mesa for Outland? What did Outland find in his own soul that connected him to the mesa? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How do the sons-in-law play up to both Lillian and the Professor? What do they gain from this behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Did the Professor try to commit suicide?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)