|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the fur worn by Rosamond that catches her father's eye?
2. How is the attic study heated?
3. What kind of gem did Outland give to the Professor's girls?
4. What bracelet was Rosamond wearing when Louie first saw her?
5. Why does Augusta appear for work at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Professor feel about Lillian's relationships with her sons-in-law?
2. What is the significance of Louie saying that it is Scott who does not like his dinners?
3. What is the professor's answer to Scott when he expresses concern about Louie naming his new home "Outland"?
4. When Outland handed the turquoises to the girls, what did the professor notice about his hands?
5. What about Lillian's opinions bother the Professor?
6. What does Mrs. Crane mean when she says, "There are some things the law doesn't cover?" How much did Crane help Outland?
7. Describe the dress forms as characters seen by the Professor.
8. How does the Professor see his wife and daughters? How does he describe them? Is it a flattering description?
9. What happened to the girl from the charity school when the Professor tried to give her flowers? What is the significance of this moment?
10. What financial offer does Rosamond offer her father? Why is the Professor uncomfortable with the offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the garden? Why is it important that it is walled? What is the space to the Professor? How does he use it?
Essay Topic 2
What memories of Paris stand out for the Professor and why? Why are the memories so painful to him? How can he overcome the pain?
Essay Topic 3
Should Dr. Crane get money for helping Outland? How much help do you think he helped? How much was his contribution?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)