|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only thing that Kathleen could really paint?
(a) Her room
(b) Her father.
(c) Her house.
(d) The lake.
2. How does Augusta lose money?
(a) By giving her brother money.
(b) By investing in the Kinkoo Copper Company.
(c) By giving her attorney money.
(d) By investing in Outland's engine.
3. How much money does Augusta lose?
4. What did the Professor give to a passing girl from a charity school that got her in trouble?
(b) A book.
(c) A lecture.
(d) A ring.
5. Where does Mrs. Crane sit when she comes to visit the Professor in his study?
(a) In a rocker.
(b) In the window seat.
(c) In Augusta's sewing chair.
(d) She stands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosamond want to build for her father?
2. What is Louie's religion?
3. What does Mrs. St. Peter have under the table that causes her trouble at her dinner with Sir Edgar Spilling?
4. Where did Mrs. St Peter think the pot that Outland gave her should reside?
5. What kind of gem did Outland give to the Professor's girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Professor meet Mrs. Crane in his study? Why is this awkward?
2. What is the professor's answer to Scott when he expresses concern about Louie naming his new home "Outland"?
3. How does the Professor feel about Lillian's relationships with her sons-in-law?
4. Why does Mrs. Crane feel that she is entitled to some of Outland's money?
5. Describe the garden at the Professor's former house. Why is this unusual?
6. What kind of personality does the study have? What are the study and house to the Professor?
7. Why does it surprise the Professor that his daughter, Kathleen, does not find herself remarkable? Does he feel that she has wasted her life? How?
8. How does the rivalry between Scott and Louie play out with Louie's entrance to Arts and Letters?
9. What kind of games did Outland play with the girls?
10. What does Mrs. Crane mean when she says, "There are some things the law doesn't cover?" How much did Crane help Outland?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)