|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Blake lodge?
(a) With an old Mexican woman.
(b) With his dad.
(c) With the Rogers family.
(d) With Ruby, the owner of the saloon.
2. How does the mule die?
(a) It is bitten by a snake.
(b) It trips and breaks its leg.
(c) It dies in a dust storm.
(d) It falls to the bottom of the canyon.
3. When Outland returns to the mesa from Washington, how did he feel about it?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He never wants to leave.
(c) It makes him lonely.
(d) That he is seeing it for the first time.
4. When Blake passes out after the poker game, where does the gold lie?
(a) On his dresser.
(b) All over the floor.
(c) In his pockets.
(d) In his hat.
5. What had Henry done before he worked for Sitwell?
(a) He was a table steward on the Anchor Line.
(b) He was a water boy on the railroad.
(c) He herded cattle.
(d) He was a teacher.
6. When Outland arrives in Washington, where does he get off the train?
(a) In front of the Vietnam Wall.
(b) Next to the Lincoln Memorial.
(c) Behind the Capitol building.
(d) Near the White House.
7. How does Outland get to the other side of the river to get to the mesa?
(a) He finds an entrance up high and climbs to it.
(b) He builds a ladder to climb to a high entrance.
(c) He swims.
(d) He rides into the water on his horse.
8. What does Outland commit to memory while on the mesa?
(a) His diary.
(b) Long passages of Virgil.
(c) The Bible.
(d) His record logs.
9. What does Outland know when he makes his discovery in the mesa?
(a) That he has struck gold.
(b) That he has to keep it a secret.
(c) That others had been there before.
(d) That he is the first modern person to see it.
10. Why does the Professor NOT prepare for the fall school term?
(a) He is tired and believes he is sick.
(b) He wants to spend the extra time in his garden.
(c) He does not need to prepare; he has taught the same course so many times.
(d) He does not feel he will be alive long enough to see it.
11. What is Virginia Ward's advice for Outland?
(a) Stay with her and her mother until he could reach somebody.
(b) Ask people to lunch where all business is done.
(c) Keep quiet and listen.
(d) Talk to the Indian Bureau because they have all the power anyway.
12. When Scott gets on the Blue Bird Express, whom does he encounter?
(c) The Professor.
13. What does Outland do with the objects he finds in Cliff City?
(a) He gives them to the Mexican woman Blake rooms with.
(b) He transports them by mule to the nearest town.
(c) He numbers them and stores them in the cabin.
(d) He dusts them off and puts them in large canvas bags.
14. What does Outland find when he got inside the mesa?
(a) Special plants he has never seen before.
(b) An ancient city built into the cliffs.
(c) American Indians.
15. What happens to Blake after he tells Outland about selling the objects from Cliff City?
(a) He returns home.
(b) He leaves for California.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He goes to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upcoming event was occupying the time of the director of the Smithsonian?
2. Whom does Outland want to visit Cliff City?
3. What did Scott do that hurts Louie's feelings when he finds out?
4. According to Outland's diary, where is the poker game going on in town?
5. How does Outland describe the people who work in Washington?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)