|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men find in the Eagle's Nest?
(a) Tanning tools.
(b) Pots and pans.
(c) A body.
2. Where do Outland and Blake go to join their cattle for the first time?
(a) Over the plains to Durango.
(b) By the Blue Mesa.
(c) Up the river to the mountains.
(d) By the Colorado River.
3. Where does Blake lodge?
(a) With his dad.
(b) With Ruby, the owner of the saloon.
(c) With an old Mexican woman.
(d) With the Rogers family.
4. What year was Outland in school when Lillian began to be jealous of him?
(a) A senior.
(b) He had graduated.
(c) A junior.
(d) A freshman.
5. How does Outland describe the people who work in Washington?
(a) Hundreds of little black-coated men pouring out of white buildings.
(b) Men and women using their brains and not their backs.
(c) Free from everyday hard labor.
(d) Like too many mice in a cage.
6. How much time elapses between the fight with Blake and meeting the Professor?
(a) One month.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
7. How does Outland try to find Blake?
(a) By writing his family.
(b) By advertising in newspapers.
(c) By calling his friends.
(d) By contacting the railroad.
8. In his summer alone, whom does the Professor get to know again?
(a) His landlord.
(c) Tom Outland.
(d) Himself as a young boy.
9. What eastern city was Lillian surprised to find out that Outland had been to?
(c) New York.
10. What does Outland remember about thunderstorms in Cliff City?
(a) That the rain never touched the village.
(b) That he could see the ghosts of Indians.
(c) That they were so loud.
(d) That he was scared.
11. Why does the Professor accompany his daughter to Chicago for the second trip?
(a) To help her buy things for her country house.
(b) To hear her lecture at the University.
(c) To help her move to Chicago.
(d) To shop for new clothes.
12. What kind of bedroom set does Rosamond want for her country house?
(d) American Arts and Crafts.
13. When the Professor's family leaves on their trip abroad, what does the Professor do?
(a) He swims every day.
(b) He returns clothes to the old house and just lives there.
(c) He tears out the garden.
(d) He moves his office to the new house.
14. What does the Professor wish to work on during his summer alone?
(a) More volumes of history.
(b) His memoirs.
(c) Tom Outland's diary.
(d) Dr. Crane's lab.
15. What does Louie want to do with the furniture in his house before they all leave on their trip?
(a) Give it to the Professor and Lillian.
(b) Donate it to the college.
(c) Give it away to Goodwill.
(d) Give it to Scott and Kathleen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Outland commit to memory while on the mesa?
2. What do the men call the discovery they find in Eagle's Nest?
3. What does Henry think of the bag of tools they find in Cliff City?
4. How much does Blake sell his horse for?
5. Where does the Professor travel first with Outland?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)