|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wing in Broadmoor was kept for parole patients?
2. What was Minor's most well known artistic inclination?
3. Where was Minor blocked after the first few months of his stay at Broadmoor?
4. Which of the following did Minor work at every day as part of his work on the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. Who created the fictitious meeting of Murray and Minor?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author only briefly mentions Dr. Hall's absence from the dinner. Why is this significant in relation to his opinion of Minor?
2. What about Murray does the author feel may have triggered Minor's religious feelings of guilt and shame for his past misdeeds?
3. What effect did Murray and his workers' reliance on Minor's letters and help have on Minor?
4. Describe how Minor may have felt when he entered the property at the Broadmoor Asylum.
5. Why could Minor more easily understand Murray's directions in comparison to others?
6. How did it become clear that Murray had very little idea of what psychological state Minor experienced?
7. What does the author give as the chief purpose behind Minor's self-mutilation? Was it achieved?
8. Why is it important, in relation to Minor's past, that the author states that people admired Minor for his meticulous work?
9. What was the overarching reason why Murray decided to visit Minor?
10. What was one of the greatest mistakes Murray made upon arriving at Broadmoor and speaking to the superintendent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dramatic irony is in many ways a key element of the events of the text. Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the fact that the text has two protagonists, Minor and Murray, and that the author himself points out that this goes against the definition of the word in "Modern English Usage," which states that protagonist can only be used in the singular?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author show that The Oxford English Dictionary was a completely different undertaking than any of the dictionaries that had come before it? Illustrate your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)