|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author describe Murray's work in Chapter 8, Annulated, Art, Brick-Tea, Buckwheat?
2. How many pages did "A" have in the first published installment?
3. Who created the fictitious meeting of Murray and Minor?
4. Murray wanted as many ______ as he could get for the words to capture subtle variations in them.
5. How old was Broadmoor when Minor first arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murray's Scriptorium represent to present day scholars of the English language?
2. In what ways could Murray be seen as a voice of reason and motivation for Minor to stay on task to the Oxford English Dictionary?
3. Was it good that Minor began to view the asylum as his home?
4. Why do you think Murray so grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish the Oxford English Dictionary after the first publication of the first book?
5. What is relevant about the fact that Minor was a fan of Huxley, particularly his idea of agnosticism?
6. Describe how Minor may have felt when he entered the property at the Broadmoor Asylum.
7. What can one infer from the fact that Minor had many people who wrote letters to Broadmoor, inquiring about his health and well-being?
8. Why is it important, in relation to Minor's past, that the author states that people admired Minor for his meticulous work?
9. How did it become clear that Murray had very little idea of what psychological state Minor experienced?
10. The author compares Murray to a general on a battlefield. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It could be argued that the author portrays a sense of injustice regarding the events surrounding Minor's diagnosis as being criminally insane and eventual incarceration. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Redemption and the overcoming of personal and professional obstacles are central to the text. Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways in which self-delusion is important to the events in the text. Make reference to Minor as well as at least one other figure.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)