|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word did Murray have so much trouble with that it had to be sent to Dr. Minor?
2. When Murray sees the superintendent of Broadmoor, he thinks that the man is _________________.
3. Minor's submissions to Murray arrived in ______________.
4. Which of the following did Minor work at every day as part of his work on the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. What thoughts did Minor have once he received the rules?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it good that Minor began to view the asylum as his home?
2. In Chapter 6, what do the author's previously established characteristics of Minor suggest about how he may have gotten along with the parole patients in Block 2?
3. In what ways could Murray be seen as a voice of reason and motivation for Minor to stay on task to the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. Why do you think Murray so grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish the Oxford English Dictionary after the first publication of the first book?
5. The author only briefly mentions Dr. Hall's absence from the dinner. Why is this significant in relation to his opinion of Minor?
6. Describe how Minor may have felt when he entered the property at the Broadmoor Asylum.
7. What was miraculous about Mrs. Merrett deciding to see Minor at Broadmoor?
8. How did Minor come to be able to return to the United States at the end of his life? What obstacles did he face along the way?
9. What does the author give as the chief purpose behind Minor's self-mutilation? Was it achieved?
10. What is controversial about the story of the meeting of Minor and Murray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of Chapter 3, The Madness of War, is taken up with Charles Minor's exploits around and during wartime. From this chapter, how do you think the author feels about war? Give examples to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"The English-speaking world is better off for the death of Charles Merrett." How could this statement be considered to be true? Do you think the author agrees? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways in which religious faith plays an important role in the production of The Oxford English Dictionary, with particular reference to Charles Minor and James Murray.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)