|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is defined in the opening of the book?
2. Many critics find the Oxford English Dictionary to be ______________.
3. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
4. Which of the following is noted to have been a fact four hundred years earlier than Mr. Trench's speeches?
5. For what purpose was Murray asked to go to Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does the author state the compilation of the Dictionary of the English Language was different from the compilation of the Oxford English Dictionary?
2. What aspects of his upbringing could have contributed to Minor's issues with the tempestuous and tempting country of Ceylon?
3. What effect could the tragic death of his daughter have had on Murray's diligence in working on the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. What seemed uncanny about the killer's cool, calm demeanor?
5. What is the effect of the author's choice to define the word "murder" on the audience?
6. What might the audience find unique about the killer's professional past?
7. Why might the author have defined the word "protagonist" in such depth?
8. Why does the author suggest that Minor moved from his initial area of residence in London, St James Square, to Lambeth Marsh?
9. Many critics found the Oxford English Dictionary to be racist and sexist. Explain how the author suggests this may have happened.
10. What reason(s) does the author give for Minor's parents sending him to the US to live with his uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the fact that this a work of non-fiction, there are elements of foreshadowing in the way the author tells the story. Explain how this occurs and discuss their effect.
Essay Topic 2
Redemption and the overcoming of personal and professional obstacles are central to the text. Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways in which religious faith plays an important role in the production of The Oxford English Dictionary, with particular reference to Charles Minor and James Murray.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)