|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Part of the difficult process of writing the dictionary included the envelope of ______ being properly applied and analyzed.
2. How did the author describe Murray's instructions in the beginning of Chapter 7, Entering the Lists?
3. Over time, how did Minor feel about his crimes?
4. In what year did Brayn order all of Minor's privileges to be removed?
5. How did Minor feel about the rules being sent to him by Minor?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many defining sentences were in Minor's response to the word with which Murray was having problems?
2. Why did many people write from abroad regarding Minor?
3. What was Huxley involved in professionally?
4. According to the author, after organizing a quote what kind of a definition did Murray have to write?
5. What was the name of Minor's first book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Murray so grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish the Oxford English Dictionary after the first publication of the first book?
2. Why is it important, in relation to Minor's past, that the author states that people admired Minor for his meticulous work?
3. It is suggested that Murray's letter to Minor was a token of forgiveness. Why?
4. In Chapter 6, what do the author's previously established characteristics of Minor suggest about how he may have gotten along with the parole patients in Block 2?
5. What is relevant about the fact that Minor was a fan of Huxley, particularly his idea of agnosticism?
6. How did Minor come to be able to return to the United States at the end of his life? What obstacles did he face along the way?
7. What was revealed about Minor's character in regards to his response to Murray's letter for help on the Oxford English Dictionary?
8. How did it become clear that Murray had very little idea of what psychological state Minor experienced?
9. The author compares Murray to a general on a battlefield. Why?
10. What is controversial about the story of the meeting of Minor and Murray?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)