|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what had Minor cut off his penis?
(a) A spoon.
(b) A knife.
(d) A fork.
2. According to the author, in what year did Minor complete his first word list?
3. In what year was Minor given electroshock therapy at Broadmoor?
4. What was the first word of Minor's to be pasted onto a page for the printers?
5. What addiction did Eliza have after being in touch with Minor?
(b) Cocaine addiction.
(d) Marijuana addiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, the subgroups in the Oxford English Dictionary had to be ______ organized.
2. For each book, what did Minor write?
3. How many defining sentences were in Minor's response to the word with which Murray was having problems?
4. To which block was William Minor taken upon commitment to Broadmoor?
5. How did Murray feel about the fact that Minor had not attended the dinners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Minor may have felt when he entered the property at the Broadmoor Asylum.
2. What was miraculous about Mrs. Merrett deciding to see Minor at Broadmoor?
3. What was revealed about Minor's character in regards to his response to Murray's letter for help on the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. The author compares Murray to a general on a battlefield. Why?
5. What is relevant about the fact that Minor was a fan of Huxley, particularly his idea of agnosticism?
6. Why is it important, in relation to Minor's past, that the author states that people admired Minor for his meticulous work?
7. Why do you think Murray so grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish the Oxford English Dictionary after the first publication of the first book?
8. How did Minor come to be able to return to the United States at the end of his life? What obstacles did he face along the way?
9. What does Murray's Scriptorium represent to present day scholars of the English language?
10. It is suggested that Murray's letter to Minor was a token of forgiveness. Why?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)