|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many defining sentences were in Minor's response to the word with which Murray was having problems?
2. In what year did Brayn order all of Minor's privileges to be removed?
3. What was Murray filled with after learning that Minor was a patient at the asylum?
4. What addiction did Eliza have after being in touch with Minor?
(c) Marijuana addiction.
(d) Cocaine addiction.
5. How did Minor regard the Asylum?
(a) As his home.
(b) As his temple.
(c) As his library.
(d) As his playground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apart from Minor, who struggled to follow the directions they were given?
2. What was Huxley involved in professionally?
3. Which word did Murray have so much trouble with that it had to be sent to Dr. Minor?
4. How old was Broadmoor when Minor first arrived?
5. Why didn't Minor attend the great dictionary dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is suggested that Murray's letter to Minor was a token of forgiveness. Why?
2. Do you think it is the author's opinion that electroshock therapy affected Minor?
3. Why is it important, in relation to Minor's past, that the author states that people admired Minor for his meticulous work?
4. What does the author give as the chief purpose behind Minor's self-mutilation? Was it achieved?
5. What showed the great essence of teamwork between Murray and Minor?
6. How did Minor come to be able to return to the United States at the end of his life? What obstacles did he face along the way?
7. Explain the significance of Minor's submissions evolving from one slip of paper to large paper bags arriving in Murray's office.
8. Why do you think Murray so grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish the Oxford English Dictionary after the first publication of the first book?
9. The author only briefly mentions Dr. Hall's absence from the dinner. Why is this significant in relation to his opinion of Minor?
10. What effect did Murray and his workers' reliance on Minor's letters and help have on Minor?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)