|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
2. England's power grew, and it felt embarrassed for not studying its language. Why did citizens want a proper dictionary?
(a) Many wanted to sell them in bookstores.
(b) Many wanted a dictionary for the English language in its entirety.
(c) Many wanted a dictionary for helping immigrants.
(d) Schools made more demands on scholars to make a new dictionary.
3. What would the definitive quotes show in the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) How words had been used over centuries.
(b) Where these words were most used.
(c) How words could be combined.
(d) What kinds of words they were.
4. How many years did it take to complete the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. According to Mr. Trench, who approved of the global spread of the English language?
(b) The Queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
2. Who wrote A Dictionary of the English Language?
3. Where was Minor born?
4. When was Murray invited to Oxford?
5. Who would publish the first Oxford English Dictionary?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author says that Minor became unworried by his "lascivious thoughts" while at Yale. What is a possible explanation for this?
2. What seemed uncanny about the killer's cool, calm demeanor?
3. What is significant about the making of the Oxford English Dictionary's beginnings to have begun on Guy Fawkes Day in England?
4. In what ways does the author state the compilation of the Dictionary of the English Language was different from the compilation of the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. What does the title of the book imply to prospective readers?
6. For what reasons did Minor become the most famous contributor to the Oxford English Dictionary?
7. Why does the author suggest Oxford finally conceded to the switch from Furnivall to Murray for the position of editor?
8. How did Minor's branding of a deserting Irish soldier become connected to his excessive guilt about his own perceived "wrongs"?
9. What effect could the tragic death of his daughter have had on Murray's diligence in working on the Oxford English Dictionary?
10. What reason(s) does the author give for Minor's parents sending him to the US to live with his uncle?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)