|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what had Minor cut off his penis?
(a) A fork.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A knife.
2. For each book, what did Minor write?
(a) A word list.
(b) A complete and detailed reference list.
(c) A letter to Murray to announce its coming.
(d) A letter to Ms. Merrett.
3. How did the author describe Murray's work in Chapter 8, Annulated, Art, Brick-Tea, Buckwheat?
(a) Easier than the years before.
(b) Relatively easy compared to Minor's.
4. How long did it take Murray to travel to see Minor?
(a) A bit under a day.
(b) A bit under an hour.
(c) A little over a day.
(d) A bit over an hour.
5. What was the first word of Minor's to be pasted onto a page for the printers?
6. The Scriptorium made out of ______________.
(a) Corrugated iron.
7. How many pages did "A" have in the first published installment?
8. According to the author, for how long had Minor been planning to physically mutilate his sexual organs?
(a) It was an impulsive act.
(b) Since childhood.
9. Why didn't Minor attend the great dictionary dinner?
(a) He was sick.
(b) He had been arrested.
(c) He did not want to mix with underlings.
(d) It was unclear.
10. What quality did many people who worked on the Oxford English Dictionary admire in Minor?
(a) Sense of patience.
(b) Zest for life.
(c) Love of words.
11. To which block was William Minor taken upon commitment to Broadmoor?
(a) Block number 8.
(b) Block. C.
(c) Block A
(d) Block number 4.
12. How did Murray feel about the fact that Minor had not attended the dinners?
(a) Confused but understanding.
(b) Perplexed and irritated.
(c) Irritated and curious.
(d) Happy and fine.
13. What word did Huxley coin?
14. What was the name of Minor's first book?
(a) "Complete Woman."
(b) "Complete Me."
(c) "Complete Man."
(d) "Ceylon Over."
15. What did Murray threaten to do at various times due to the Delegates' interferences, slow pace, and his suffering health?
(b) Fire everyone.
(c) Report Minor to the police.
(d) Stop the process.
Short Answer Questions
1. In four decades time, 352 pages would become how many pages?
2. Murray wanted as many ______ as he could get for the words to capture subtle variations in them.
3. How many more years after the publishing of the first installment would it actually take for Murray to finish the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. Whom did Murray impress with his definitions?
5. How did Minor regard the Asylum?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)