|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hall not come to the great dictionary dinner?
(a) He was getting married.
(b) He was in military service.
(c) He was sick.
(d) He was known to be a hermit.
2. What was Murray filled with after learning that Minor was a patient at the asylum?
3. What did Minor have shelves made for at Broadmoor?
(a) His painting tools.
(b) His wooden boat models.
(c) His books.
(d) His drawing tools.
4. How did the author describe the words that Minor used in his first book?
(a) Lovely and attractive.
(b) Direct and couth.
(c) Obscure and exotic.
(d) Strange and different.
5. How did Minor regard the Asylum?
(a) As his library.
(b) As his temple.
(c) As his home.
(d) As his playground.
6. Which word did Murray have so much trouble with that it had to be sent to Dr. Minor?
7. Where was Minor blocked after the first few months of his stay at Broadmoor?
(a) Block C.
(b) Block B.
(c) Block number 3.
(d) Block number 2.
8. What wing in Broadmoor was kept for parole patients?
(a) Block B.
(b) Block number 2.
(c) Block number 6.
(d) Block C.
9. Why didn't Minor attend the great dictionary dinner?
(a) He did not want to mix with underlings.
(b) He was sick.
(c) He had been arrested.
(d) It was unclear.
10. According to the author, the subgroups in the Oxford English Dictionary had to be ______ organized.
11. How did Murray feel about the fact that Minor had not attended the dinners?
(a) Irritated and curious.
(b) Happy and fine.
(c) Perplexed and irritated.
(d) Confused but understanding.
12. What was Huxley involved in professionally?
(a) Philosophy and chemistry.
(b) Biology and philosophy.
(c) Law and mathematics.
(d) Chemistry and psychology.
13. Minor's submissions to Murray arrived in ______________.
14. How did the author describe Murray's instructions in the beginning of Chapter 7, Entering the Lists?
15. Which of the following did Minor work at every day as part of his work on the Oxford English Dictionary?
(b) Calling Murray to confirm word validity.
(c) Writing Latin references.
(d) Making calls to those who had submitted words.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author compared Murray's way of organizing his work on the Oxford English Dictionary to ______________.
2. On what day of the week in November did Murray decide to travel and meet Minor?
3. Who came first to the Broadmoor Asylum?
4. What did the act of sending the rules to Minor symbolize to him?
5. In what year did Brayn order all of Minor's privileges to be removed?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)