|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1915, which newspaper did the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary write to and complain about the story of Murray meeting Minor in the asylum?
(a) The London Times.
(b) The Daily Telegraph.
(c) The Sun.
(d) The Argus.
2. Murray wanted as many ______ as he could get for the words to capture subtle variations in them.
3. Describe Minor's routine for writing his first book.
(a) He would read each and every word of the book five times before moving to the next.
(b) He would read random lines from the book to nurses in the ward and ask their advice for each chapter.
(c) He would read the lines out loud to see if they flowed.
(d) He would read every word, line-by-line, writing down anything of interest.
4. After the publishing of the first installment, where was all of Murray's work done?
(a) His office.
(b) The Greenhouse.
(c) The Scriptorium.
5. What style of building was Broadmoor?
6. How long did each book of the dictionary take Minor to complete?
(a) Five months.
(b) One year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
7. According to the author, in what year did Minor complete his first word list?
8. At Broadmoor, who was searched and taken to Surrey?
(a) William Minor.
(b) James Ward.
(c) William Bard.
(d) John McClellan.
9. What was the first word of Minor's to be pasted onto a page for the printers?
10. How did the author describe Murray's instructions in the beginning of Chapter 7, Entering the Lists?
11. How did Minor regard the Asylum?
(a) As his playground.
(b) As his home.
(c) As his library.
(d) As his temple.
12. What did Murray threaten to do at various times due to the Delegates' interferences, slow pace, and his suffering health?
(a) Fire everyone.
(b) Report Minor to the police.
(c) Stop the process.
13. Minor saw his castration as a ________________ act.
(a) Funny and impulsive.
(b) Impulsive and stupid.
(c) Natural and timely.
(d) Religious and redemptive.
14. How many rooms did Minor have during his stay at Broadmoor?
15. What did the act of sending the rules to Minor symbolize to him?
(d) Childhood memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apart from Minor, who struggled to follow the directions they were given?
2. Whose hostility faded for religion over time?
3. The author compared Murray's way of organizing his work on the Oxford English Dictionary to ______________.
4. How did the author describe Murray's work in Chapter 8, Annulated, Art, Brick-Tea, Buckwheat?
5. Which word did Murray have so much trouble with that it had to be sent to Dr. Minor?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)