|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Murray filled with after learning that Minor was a patient at the asylum?
2. In 1915, which newspaper did the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary write to and complain about the story of Murray meeting Minor in the asylum?
(a) The Daily Telegraph.
(b) The Sun.
(c) The Argus.
(d) The London Times.
3. Which word did Murray have so much trouble with that it had to be sent to Dr. Minor?
4. Where was Minor blocked after the first few months of his stay at Broadmoor?
(a) Block number 3.
(b) Block B.
(c) Block C.
(d) Block number 2.
5. What did Minor have shelves made for at Broadmoor?
(a) His painting tools.
(b) His books.
(c) His wooden boat models.
(d) His drawing tools.
6. How did the author describe Murray's instructions in the beginning of Chapter 7, Entering the Lists?
7. From what country were the two men who did not attend the great dictionary dinner?
(a) Great Britain.
(b) The United States.
8. Why did many people write from abroad regarding Minor?
(a) To ask for his autograph.
(b) To complain of his harrassment.
(c) To make sure he was being well looked after.
(d) To request his euthanizing.
9. The Scriptorium made out of ______________.
(a) Corrugated iron.
10. When was the great dictionary dinner held?
(a) January 2nd, 1890.
(b) February 17th, 1896.
(c) October 12th, 1897.
(d) November 18th, 1894.
11. What addiction did Eliza have after being in touch with Minor?
(a) Cocaine addiction.
(c) Marijuana addiction.
12. To which block was William Minor taken upon commitment to Broadmoor?
(a) Block A
(b) Block number 4.
(c) Block number 8.
(d) Block. C.
13. According to Minor, every word would possibly be a ______ now that he was beginning his work on the dictionary.
14. How did the author describe Murray's work in Chapter 8, Annulated, Art, Brick-Tea, Buckwheat?
(a) Easier than the years before.
(b) Relatively easy compared to Minor's.
15. The word which troubled Murray and was sent to Minor had _______________ "shades of meaning."
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of building was Broadmoor?
2. On what day of the week in November did Murray decide to travel and meet Minor?
3. How many more years after the publishing of the first installment would it actually take for Murray to finish the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. When Murray sees the superintendent of Broadmoor, he thinks that the man is _________________.
5. Why did Hall not come to the great dictionary dinner?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)