|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Apart from Minor, who struggled to follow the directions they were given?
2. What did Minor have shelves made for at Broadmoor?
(a) His painting tools.
(b) His drawing tools.
(c) His wooden boat models.
(d) His books.
3. After the publishing of the first installment, where was all of Murray's work done?
(a) His office.
(c) The Greenhouse.
(d) The Scriptorium.
4. According to the author, the subgroups in the Oxford English Dictionary had to be ______ organized.
5. Minor's submissions to Murray arrived in ______________.
6. How long did it take Murray to travel to see Minor?
(a) A bit under an hour.
(b) A bit under a day.
(c) A bit over an hour.
(d) A little over a day.
7. According to the author, after organizing a quote what kind of a definition did Murray have to write?
(a) A detailed one.
(b) An elegant one.
(c) A succinct one.
(d) A referenced one.
8. How did Minor feel about the rules being sent to him by Minor?
9. What word did Huxley coin?
10. When was the publishing of the first installment of the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) December 12th, 1887.
(b) May 8th, 1883.
(c) January 29th, 1884.
(d) February 6th, 1882.
11. With what had Minor cut off his penis?
(a) A fork.
(c) A knife.
(d) A spoon.
12. What quality did many people who worked on the Oxford English Dictionary admire in Minor?
(a) Sense of patience.
(b) Love of words.
(c) Zest for life.
13. To whom did Minor write in order to make amends for his crimes?
(a) His son's friend.
(b) His victim.
(c) His victim's widow.
(d) His victim's son.
14. Whom did Murray impress with his definitions?
(a) The Philological Society..
(b) Scholars around the world.
(c) The whole world over.
(d) English Royalty.
15. What wing in Broadmoor was kept for parole patients?
(a) Block number 2.
(b) Block B.
(c) Block C.
(d) Block number 6.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Minor, every word would possibly be a ______ now that he was beginning his work on the dictionary.
2. How did Murray feel about the fact that Minor had not attended the dinners?
3. The Scriptorium made out of ______________.
4. What word does the author give as an example to show Minor's love for accuracy and detail?
5. According to the author, what sort of life did Minor live at Broadmoor?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)