|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what holiday did Dr. Minor arrive in London in the opening of Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Guy Fawkes Day.
(c) Fourth of July.
2. What were Merrett's killer's two former professional positions?
(a) Professor and army officer.
(b) Police officer and professor.
(c) Qualified surgeon and police officer..
(d) Army officer and qualified surgeon.
3. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
4. With whom was William to live upon arriving in the United States?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His Aunt.
(d) His cousin.
5. In Chapter 2, The Man Who Taught Latin to Cattle, who is introduced as the first protagonist?
(a) Dr. Minor.
(b) Mr. Merrett.
(c) Mrs. Scott.
(d) Dr. Murray.
6. Who took over Furnivall's place as editor of the Oxford English Dictionary?
7. Where were George Merrett and his wife originally from?
8. According to Chapter 5, which dictionary far surpassed all that came before it?
(a) The Oxford English Dictionary.
(b) The Oxford Cambridge Dictionary of English.
(c) The American Dictionary.
(d) The English Dictionary of America.
9. What kind of work did the Minors do in Ceylon?
(a) Tea plantation.
(b) Coconut farming.
(c) Coffee plantation.
10. Who killed Merrett?
(a) Chester James Wilcox.
(b) James Chester Minor.
(c) William Chester Minor.
(d) John Washington Wilcox.
11. What was the name of Eastman Minor's second wife?
12. Where did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
(a) The London Library.
(b) Under the Big Ben Clock.
(c) Buckingham Palace.
(d) Under the London Bridge,
13. When are the first Latin dictionaries noted to have been in existence?
14. When was Minor born?
(a) May, 1832.
(b) March, 1831.
(c) January, 1842.
(d) June, 1834.
15. What was the driving force behind Minor's spiral into "lust, madness, and perdition"?
(a) The drug culture of Ceylon.
(b) The gambling scene in Ceylon.
(c) The constant moving of his family.
(d) The women of Ceylon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Murray was born next to the border of _________.
2. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
3. What two words does the author use to describe the Lambeth area, particularly in relation to the undrained marsh?
4. How old was Lucy when she died?
5. In what year was the Oxford English Dictionary completed?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)