|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Merrett's killer claim about the murder?
(a) He had been waiting to do that for some time.
(b) It was easy.
(c) He was too drunk to know what was happening.
(d) It was in self defense.
2. What did Judith do professionally?
(a) She was a house wife.
(b) She was a missionary.
(c) She was a cook for the Ceylon military.
(d) She was a schoolteacher.
3. Where did Richard Chenevix Trench speak?
(a) In Town Hall.
(b) Outside Cambridge University.
(c) In the streets of London.
(d) In the London Library.
4. With whom was William to live upon arriving in the United States?
(b) His cousin.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His Aunt.
5. When does this story take place?
(a) Late 19th century.
(b) Late 18th century.
(c) Mid 19th century.
(d) Early 19th century.
6. When was Minor born?
(a) May, 1832.
(b) June, 1834.
(c) January, 1842.
(d) March, 1831.
7. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
8. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
9. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
10. What two words did the author use to describe the Minor family's beliefs?
(a) "Muscularly evangelical."
(b) "Highly cynical."
(c) "Lightly sarcastic."
(d) "Founderingly heavy."
11. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
(a) They were incorrect.
(b) Only one had proper command of the English language.
(c) They were sufficient for disseminating the English language at the time.
(d) They had major defects.
12. Merrett's killer was from ______________.
(a) New Haven, Connecticut.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) Portland, Maine.
(d) Seattle, Washington.
13. How long after the Minors settled in Ceylon was William Minor born?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
14. What was the name of Murray's first wife?
(a) Eliza Valant.
(b) Julia Filmoore.
(c) Lucy Javier.
(d) Maggie Scott.
15. In what year did Dr. Minor arrive in London?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, who is the "second" protagonist of the story?
2. At what time where the three shots fired in the opening of the book?
3. In what area of New London does the story open?
4. How did the audience react to the fact that hundreds of amateurs would be needed to take on such a project for a new dictionary?
5. How did Mr. Trench define the importance of the English language insofar as Christianity?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)