|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of Christianity did the Murray family follow?
(b) Seventh Day Adventists.
(d) United Church of Christ.
2. Where did Richard Chenevix Trench speak?
(a) In the streets of London.
(b) Outside Cambridge University.
(c) In Town Hall.
(d) In the London Library.
3. To whom were Richard Chenevix Trench's speeches directed?
(a) The London Phililogical Society.
(d) The general public.
4. In what year did Dr. Minor arrive in London?
5. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
6. Where were George Merrett and his wife originally from?
7. How did the audience react to the fact that hundreds of amateurs would be needed to take on such a project for a new dictionary?
(a) With shock.
(b) With sadness.
(c) With happiness.
(d) With revolt.
8. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
9. When does this story take place?
(a) Late 19th century.
(b) Mid 19th century.
(c) Early 19th century.
(d) Late 18th century.
10. In what year was the Oxford English Dictionary completed?
11. From what disease did William's mother die?
(b) Lyme's disease.
(c) Typhoid fever.
12. What kind of work did the Minors do in Ceylon?
(b) Coffee plantation.
(c) Tea plantation.
(d) Coconut farming.
13. Murray was born next to the border of _________.
14. What were Merrett's killer's two former professional positions?
(a) Professor and army officer.
(b) Army officer and qualified surgeon.
(c) Police officer and professor.
(d) Qualified surgeon and police officer..
15. How did the author describe the attitude of the killer caught for Merrett's death upon the killer's capture?
(a) Excited and happy.
(b) Cool and collected.
(c) Bored and uninterested.
(d) Embarrassed and sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nickname of the Oxford English Dictionary?
2. At what age was William sent to the United States?
3. What was the name of Eastman Minor's second wife?
4. On what holiday did Dr. Minor arrive in London in the opening of Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
5. Who took over Furnivall's place as editor of the Oxford English Dictionary?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)