|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe the words in the early English dictionaries in Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Odd and poorly defined.
(b) Strange and simple.
(c) Poorly defined and too little.
(d) Simple and odd.
2. According to the author, who is the "second" protagonist of the story?
(a) Mrs. Elsa.
(b) Dr. Minor.
(c) James Augustus Henry Murray.
(d) Dr. Henry Sweet.
3. What was the tragedy of the three shots fired named by the papers?
(a) "The Great Tragedy."
(b) "The Lambeth Tragedy."
(c) "The Strategery."
(d) "The Tragedy of London."
4. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
5. What was the nickname of the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) "This Big Dictionary."
(b) "The Little Dictionary."
(c) "Old English."
(d) "The One and Only."
6. Why did the demand for dictionaries increase according to the author in Chapter 4?
(a) The language changed markedly.
(b) People wanted to learn about more difficult words.
(c) Many of the original dictionaries were burned.
(d) More immigrants came to England.
7. According to Mr. Trench, who approved of the global spread of the English language?
(d) The Queen.
8. Trench argued that dictionaries should be histories of the life span of every word and that these lives should be ______.
9. How many slips of paper came in from volunteers who wanted to add to the newly proposed dictionary?
(a) Fifty thousand.
(b) One million.
(c) Twelve thousand.
(d) Six million.
10. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
11. How did people contact the Philological Society in order to submit new words to the new dictionary?
(a) By telegraph.
(b) By letter.
(c) By telephone.
(d) In person at the library.
12. What was the driving force behind Minor's spiral into "lust, madness, and perdition"?
(a) The drug culture of Ceylon.
(b) The constant moving of his family.
(c) The women of Ceylon.
(d) The gambling scene in Ceylon.
13. Who wrote A Dictionary of the English Language?
(a) John Samuel.
(b) James Johnson.
(c) Samual Jackson.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
14. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
(a) The 15th.
(b) The 14th.
(c) The 17th.
(d) The 16th.
15. Who arrested Merrett's killer?
(a) Henry Burton.
(b) Officer Burton.
(c) Constable Tarrant.
(d) William Ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did it take to complete the Oxford English Dictionary?
2. What did the killer do immediately upon being arrested by police?
3. Who was the most famous editor of the Old English Dictionary?
4. How did Murray spend most of his childhood?
5. At what time where the three shots fired in the opening of the book?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)