|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
2. How did Mr. Trench define the importance of the English language insofar as Christianity?
(a) It functioned solely for Christians' usage only.
(b) It was an essential, imperial device for the worldwide growth of Christianity.
(c) It was important to learn it for Christians.
(d) It should be the least important language to true Christians.
3. How long after the Minors settled in Ceylon was William Minor born?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
4. How does the author describe the words in the early English dictionaries in Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Simple and odd.
(b) Strange and simple.
(c) Odd and poorly defined.
(d) Poorly defined and too little.
5. Where were George Merrett and his wife originally from?
6. When was Minor born?
(a) June, 1834.
(b) March, 1831.
(c) May, 1832.
(d) January, 1842.
7. What did Judith do professionally?
(a) She was a house wife.
(b) She was a missionary.
(c) She was a cook for the Ceylon military.
(d) She was a schoolteacher.
8. Who would publish the first Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) Harper and Row.
(b) Oxford University Press.
(c) Penguin Books.
(d) Academic Press.
9. In what century did some Latin-English dictionaries began to appear?
(a) The 12th century.
(b) The 16th century.
(c) The 14th century.
(d) The 15th century.
10. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
11. On what notable holiday did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
(a) May Day.
(b) Guy Fawke's Day.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) The Queen's Birthday.
12. Where was Dr. Minor's house located in London?
(a) St. James Square.
13. What did the killer do immediately upon being arrested by police?
(a) Fell asleep.
(b) Laughed uncontrollably.
(c) Tried to escape.
14. In what area of New London does the story open?
(a) Lambert Marsh.
(c) West Chester.
15. What did Merrett's killer claim about the murder?
(a) He had been waiting to do that for some time.
(b) He was too drunk to know what was happening.
(c) It was easy.
(d) It was in self defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease did William's mother die?
2. When was Murray invited to Oxford?
3. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
4. How many years from Trench's speech about a new dictionary did the project actually get off the ground?
5. Why did the demand for dictionaries increase according to the author in Chapter 4?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)