|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age was William sent to the United States?
2. In what city was Murray born?
3. When does this story take place?
(a) Late 18th century.
(b) Late 19th century.
(c) Mid 19th century.
(d) Early 19th century.
4. Who killed Merrett?
(a) William Chester Minor.
(b) James Chester Minor.
(c) Chester James Wilcox.
(d) John Washington Wilcox.
5. According to the author, who is the "second" protagonist of the story?
(a) Dr. Minor.
(b) Dr. Henry Sweet.
(c) James Augustus Henry Murray.
(d) Mrs. Elsa.
6. What climate is the island of Ceylon?
7. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
(a) The 15th.
(b) The 16th.
(c) The 14th.
(d) The 17th.
8. What would the definitive quotes show in the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) What kinds of words they were.
(b) How words could be combined.
(c) How words had been used over centuries.
(d) Where these words were most used.
9. What kind of Christianity did the Murray family follow?
(b) United Church of Christ.
(c) Seventh Day Adventists.
10. Many critics find the Oxford English Dictionary to be ______________.
(a) Thoughtless and ridiculous.
(b) Strange and racist.
(c) Ridiculous and sexist.
(d) Racist and sexist.
11. Merrett's killer was from ______________.
(a) Seattle, Washington.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) New Haven, Connecticut.
(d) Portland, Maine.
12. What was the name of Eastman Minor's second wife?
13. Who would publish the first Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) Oxford University Press.
(b) Penguin Books.
(c) Harper and Row.
(d) Academic Press.
14. What was the overall effect of the large amount of word donors on Furnivall and his dictionary volunteers?
(a) Furnivall eventually lost his energy, and the volunteers lost enthusiasm as a result.
(b) Furnivall's volunteers turned against him.
(c) Furnivall became afraid and fled to Spain.
(d) Furnivall hired many more excited volunteers.
15. How does the author describe the words in the early English dictionaries in Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Odd and poorly defined.
(b) Poorly defined and too little.
(c) Simple and odd.
(d) Strange and simple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the idea behind the Philological Society?
2. Who produced a circular calling for volunteers who could choose a period of history in which they would like to read books?
3. Who was the most famous editor of the Old English Dictionary?
4. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
5. Who heard the three shots fired in the beginning of the book?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)