|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
(a) The 15th.
(b) The 16th.
(c) The 17th.
(d) The 14th.
2. What central figure in the story happened across Murray's appeal to the English people in regards to the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) James Koss.
(b) Mr. Trench.
(c) Dr. William Minor.
(d) Nakiesha Wilson.
3. On what holiday did Dr. Minor arrive in London in the opening of Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(b) Fourth of July.
(d) Guy Fawkes Day.
4. Who was the most famous editor of the Old English Dictionary?
(a) Dr. Minor.
(b) Frederick Furnivall.
(c) James Murray.
(d) Dr. Sweet.
5. In what year did Dr. Minor arrive in London?
6. How does the author describe the words in the early English dictionaries in Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Poorly defined and too little.
(b) Simple and odd.
(c) Strange and simple.
(d) Odd and poorly defined.
7. What word is defined in the opening of the book?
8. In Chapter 2, The Man Who Taught Latin to Cattle, who is introduced as the first protagonist?
(a) Dr. Murray.
(b) Mrs. Scott.
(c) Dr. Minor.
(d) Mr. Merrett.
9. How many men authored A Dictionary of the English Language?
(a) Five men.
(b) Nine men.
(c) Six men.
(d) Fourteen men.
10. How many years did it take to complete the Oxford English Dictionary?
11. What kind of work did the Minors do in Ceylon?
(a) Tea plantation.
(b) Coconut farming.
(c) Coffee plantation.
12. Who heard the three shots fired in the beginning of the book?
(a) Henry Burton.
(b) Henry Tarrant.
(c) Eliza Ward.
(d) William Ward.
13. Who wrote A Dictionary of the English Language?
(a) Samual Jackson.
(b) Samuel Johnson.
(c) John Samuel.
(d) James Johnson.
14. In what area of New London does the story open?
(a) Lambert Marsh.
(c) West Chester.
15. Who killed Merrett?
(a) Chester James Wilcox.
(b) William Chester Minor.
(c) James Chester Minor.
(d) John Washington Wilcox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two words does the author use to describe the Lambeth area, particularly in relation to the undrained marsh?
2. From what disease did William's mother die?
3. At what age was William sent to the United States?
4. How old was Lucy when she died?
5. When was Murray born?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)