|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 5, which dictionary far surpassed all that came before it?
(a) The Oxford English Dictionary.
(b) The American Dictionary.
(c) The English Dictionary of America.
(d) The Oxford Cambridge Dictionary of English.
2. How does the author describe the words in the early English dictionaries in Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Poorly defined and too little.
(b) Simple and odd.
(c) Odd and poorly defined.
(d) Strange and simple.
3. What two words did the author use to describe the Minor family's beliefs?
(a) "Founderingly heavy."
(b) "Muscularly evangelical."
(c) "Lightly sarcastic."
(d) "Highly cynical."
4. In what city was Murray born?
5. How old was Lucy when she died?
6. How many men authored A Dictionary of the English Language?
(a) Five men.
(b) Nine men.
(c) Fourteen men.
(d) Six men.
7. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
8. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
9. What two words does the author use to describe the Lambeth area, particularly in relation to the undrained marsh?
(a) Sadly hopeless.
(b) Utterly hopeless.
(c) Positively vile.
(d) Greatly disgusting.
10. The Minor family came to the United States only a decade after what group of people?
(a) The Pilgrims.
(b) Native Americans.
(c) Spanish Conquistadors.
(d) King Louis XII's missionaries.
11. For what purpose was Murray asked to go to Oxford?
(a) To speak to the Oxford Publishing delegates.
(b) To speak with the residents of Oxford.
(c) To speak with the president of Oxford University.
(d) To speak with the dean of Oxford University.
12. Lucy was born to the Minors __________after William's birth.
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six years.
(d) One year.
13. At what age was William sent to the United States?
14. Where was Minor born?
(a) Sri Lanka.
(b) New Hampshire.
15. Which of the following is noted to have been a fact four hundred years earlier than Mr. Trench's speeches?
(a) There was no English dictionary in existence.
(b) People rarely used dictionaries.
(c) The first English dictionary was published.
(d) The word "dictionary" did not exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard Chenevix Trench speak?
2. What was the name of Eastman Minor's second wife?
3. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
4. When was Minor born?
5. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)