|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Then Only the Monuments, Postscript.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When are the first Latin dictionaries noted to have been in existence?
2. Murray was born next to the border of _________.
3. What was the nickname of the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) "The One and Only."
(b) "The Little Dictionary."
(c) "Old English."
(d) "This Big Dictionary."
4. From what country were the two men who did not attend the great dictionary dinner?
(a) Great Britain.
(c) The United States.
5. After the publishing of the first installment, where was all of Murray's work done?
(b) His office.
(c) The Scriptorium.
(d) The Greenhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did people contact the Philological Society in order to submit new words to the new dictionary?
2. Murray hoped the Oxford English Dictionary would be finished by his ______________ birthday.
3. Where did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
4. Where was Minor blocked after the first few months of his stay at Broadmoor?
5. How did Murray spend most of his childhood?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)