|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, The Meeting of Minds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages did "A" have in the first published installment?
2. On what holiday did Dr. Minor arrive in London in the opening of Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(b) Guy Fawkes Day.
(c) Fourth of July.
3. According to the author, in what year did Minor complete his first word list?
4. How did the author describe the words that Minor used in his first book?
(a) Obscure and exotic.
(b) Lovely and attractive.
(c) Direct and couth.
(d) Strange and different.
5. In Chapter 5, what was the name of Mr. Trench's speech in regards to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) "On the Call for a New Dictionary."
(b) "On Some Deficiencies in Our English Dictionaries."
(c) "On the Deficiency of Our New Dictionaries of the Era."
(d) "On the Need for a New English Dictionary."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is noted to have been a fact four hundred years earlier than Mr. Trench's speeches?
2. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
3. How were Minor's and Murray's families similar?
4. In what year did Dr. Minor arrive in London?
5. Where were George Merrett and his wife originally from?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)