|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Annulated, Art, Brick-Tea, Buckwheat.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom were Richard Chenevix Trench's speeches directed?
(b) The London Phililogical Society.
(d) The general public.
2. How long after the Minors settled in Ceylon was William Minor born?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five weeks.
3. In four decades time, 352 pages would become how many pages?
4. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
5. England's power grew, and it felt embarrassed for not studying its language. Why did citizens want a proper dictionary?
(a) Schools made more demands on scholars to make a new dictionary.
(b) Many wanted a dictionary for the English language in its entirety.
(c) Many wanted a dictionary for helping immigrants.
(d) Many wanted to sell them in bookstores.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are the first Latin dictionaries noted to have been in existence?
2. The author compared Murray's way of organizing his work on the Oxford English Dictionary to ______________.
3. For what purpose was Murray asked to go to Oxford?
4. What kind of Christianity did the Murray family follow?
5. How have many described the language of the Oxford English Dictionary?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)