|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Big Dictionary Conceived.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
(a) The 16th.
(b) The 14th.
(c) The 17th.
(d) The 15th.
2. Who wrote A Dictionary of the English Language?
(a) James Johnson.
(b) Samual Jackson.
(c) John Samuel.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
3. What kind of Christianity did the Murray family follow?
(a) United Church of Christ.
(b) Seventh Day Adventists.
4. How many children did the Merretts have?
5. When does this story take place?
(a) Mid 19th century.
(b) Late 18th century.
(c) Late 19th century.
(d) Early 19th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Minor family came to the United States only a decade after what group of people?
2. To whom were Richard Chenevix Trench's speeches directed?
3. What was the idea behind the Philological Society?
4. How old was Lucy when she died?
5. How did people contact the Philological Society in order to submit new words to the new dictionary?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)