|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Big Dictionary Conceived.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
2. To whom were Richard Chenevix Trench's speeches directed?
(a) The London Phililogical Society.
(c) The general public.
3. How old was the man who killed Merrett?
4. For what purpose was Murray asked to go to Oxford?
(a) To speak with the president of Oxford University.
(b) To speak to the Oxford Publishing delegates.
(c) To speak with the residents of Oxford.
(d) To speak with the dean of Oxford University.
5. In Chapter 2, The Man Who Taught Latin to Cattle, who is introduced as the first protagonist?
(a) Mrs. Scott.
(b) Dr. Murray.
(c) Dr. Minor.
(d) Mr. Merrett.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what was the name of Mr. Trench's speech in regards to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary?
2. When was Murray invited to Oxford?
3. What was the nickname of the Oxford English Dictionary?
4. Lucy was born to the Minors __________after William's birth.
5. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)