|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Big Dictionary Conceived.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after the Minors settled in Ceylon was William Minor born?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three months.
2. Which of the following is noted to have been a fact four hundred years earlier than Mr. Trench's speeches?
(a) The first English dictionary was published.
(b) People rarely used dictionaries.
(c) There was no English dictionary in existence.
(d) The word "dictionary" did not exist.
3. How many years later did the second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary come out after the original?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Thirty-eight years.
(c) Forty-five years.
(d) Thirty years.
4. When was Minor born?
(a) March, 1831.
(b) May, 1832.
(c) June, 1834.
(d) January, 1842.
5. Who was the most famous editor of the Old English Dictionary?
(a) Dr. Minor.
(b) James Murray.
(c) Frederick Furnivall.
(d) Dr. Sweet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
2. How many children did the Merretts have?
3. What was the overall effect of the large amount of word donors on Furnivall and his dictionary volunteers?
4. On what notable holiday did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
5. What did Merrett's killer claim about the murder?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)