|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Big Dictionary Conceived.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the overall effect of the large amount of word donors on Furnivall and his dictionary volunteers?
(a) Furnivall eventually lost his energy, and the volunteers lost enthusiasm as a result.
(b) Furnivall hired many more excited volunteers.
(c) Furnivall became afraid and fled to Spain.
(d) Furnivall's volunteers turned against him.
2. When was Murray invited to Oxford?
(a) April 21st, 1976.
(b) May 8th, 1878.
(c) April 26th, 1878.
(d) May 8th, 1876.
3. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
4. What was the name of Eastman Minor's second wife?
5. When was Minor born?
(a) May, 1832.
(b) June, 1834.
(c) March, 1831.
(d) January, 1842.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom were Richard Chenevix Trench's speeches directed?
2. At what age was William sent to the United States?
3. Where did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
4. What kind of Christianity did the Murray family follow?
5. How were Minor's and Murray's families similar?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)