|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The Big Dictionary Conceived.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Murray born?
(a) December, 1842.
(b) February, 1837.
(c) January, 1832.
(d) April, 1823.
2. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
3. How did Murray spend most of his childhood?
(a) Singing with a group.
(b) Being alone.
(c) Playing soccer with an elite team.
4. How have many described the language of the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. From what disease did William's mother die?
(a) Lyme's disease.
(b) Typhoid fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the audience react to the fact that hundreds of amateurs would be needed to take on such a project for a new dictionary?
2. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
3. Many critics find the Oxford English Dictionary to be ______________.
4. What was the driving force behind Minor's spiral into "lust, madness, and perdition"?
5. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)