|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of New London does the story open?
(b) West Chester.
(c) Lambert Marsh.
2. How many children did the Merretts have?
3. How old was Lucy when she died?
4. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
5. What was the idea behind the Philological Society?
(a) To promote Christian missionary work.
(b) To gather and discuss new admissions to the Oxford English Dictionary.
(c) To promote new admissions to the Oxford English Dictionary.
(d) Improvement upon the understanding of the properly dominant language of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the demand for dictionaries increase according to the author in Chapter 4?
2. What climate is the island of Ceylon?
3. When was Murray born?
4. In what city was Murray born?
5. According to Mr. Trench, who approved of the global spread of the English language?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)