|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Madness of War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the most famous editor of the Old English Dictionary?
(a) Frederick Furnivall.
(b) James Murray.
(c) Dr. Minor.
(d) Dr. Sweet.
2. Where were George Merrett and his wife originally from?
3. How long after the Minors settled in Ceylon was William Minor born?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
4. What did the killer do immediately upon being arrested by police?
(b) Tried to escape.
(c) Laughed uncontrollably.
(d) Fell asleep.
5. What did Merrett's killer claim about the murder?
(a) He was too drunk to know what was happening.
(b) He had been waiting to do that for some time.
(c) It was easy.
(d) It was in self defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area of New London does the story open?
2. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
3. What was the driving force behind Minor's spiral into "lust, madness, and perdition"?
4. What were Merrett's killer's two former professional positions?
5. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)