|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Man Who Taught Latin to Cattle.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years later did the second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary come out after the original?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Forty-five years.
(c) Thirty-eight years.
(d) Thirty years.
2. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
3. At what time where the three shots fired in the opening of the book?
(a) 5 a.m.
(b) 1 a.m.
(c) 2 a.m.
4. How many years did it take to complete the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. What would the definitive quotes show in the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) How words had been used over centuries.
(b) What kinds of words they were.
(c) How words could be combined.
(d) Where these words were most used.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Murray's first wife?
2. How did the author describe the man who chased George Merrett on the night of his death?
3. What word is defined in the opening of the book?
4. How have many described the language of the Oxford English Dictionary?
5. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)