|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, The Unkindest Cut.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which block was William Minor taken upon commitment to Broadmoor?
(a) Block number 4.
(b) Block. C.
(c) Block number 8.
(d) Block A
2. Why did Hall not come to the great dictionary dinner?
(a) He was known to be a hermit.
(b) He was sick.
(c) He was getting married.
(d) He was in military service.
3. Who arrested Merrett's killer?
(a) Constable Tarrant.
(b) Officer Burton.
(c) William Ward.
(d) Henry Burton.
4. For each book, what did Minor write?
(a) A complete and detailed reference list.
(b) A letter to Murray to announce its coming.
(c) A word list.
(d) A letter to Ms. Merrett.
5. What was the overall effect of the large amount of word donors on Furnivall and his dictionary volunteers?
(a) Furnivall hired many more excited volunteers.
(b) Furnivall became afraid and fled to Spain.
(c) Furnivall eventually lost his energy, and the volunteers lost enthusiasm as a result.
(d) Furnivall's volunteers turned against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1915, which newspaper did the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary write to and complain about the story of Murray meeting Minor in the asylum?
2. In what year did Dr. Minor arrive in London?
3. When was the great dictionary dinner held?
4. How did Minor feel about the rules being sent to him by Minor?
5. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)