|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, The Unkindest Cut.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the publishing of the first installment of the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) May 8th, 1883.
(b) February 6th, 1882.
(c) December 12th, 1887.
(d) January 29th, 1884.
2. With what had Minor cut off his penis?
(a) A fork.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A knife.
3. What quality did many people who worked on the Oxford English Dictionary admire in Minor?
(a) Love of words.
(c) Zest for life.
(d) Sense of patience.
4. Which of the following did Minor work at every day as part of his work on the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) Calling Murray to confirm word validity.
(b) Writing Latin references.
(c) Making calls to those who had submitted words.
5. After the publishing of the first installment, where was all of Murray's work done?
(a) The Greenhouse.
(b) His office.
(c) The Scriptorium.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard Chenevix Trench speak?
2. Who created the fictitious meeting of Murray and Minor?
3. How many years from Trench's speech about a new dictionary did the project actually get off the ground?
4. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
5. What addiction did Eliza have after being in touch with Minor?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)