|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years did it take to complete the Oxford English Dictionary?
2. Where did Richard Chenevix Trench speak?
(a) In the London Library.
(b) In Town Hall.
(c) Outside Cambridge University.
(d) In the streets of London.
3. In what century did some Latin-English dictionaries began to appear?
(a) The 12th century.
(b) The 16th century.
(c) The 15th century.
(d) The 14th century.
4. What climate is the island of Ceylon?
5. England's power grew, and it felt embarrassed for not studying its language. Why did citizens want a proper dictionary?
(a) Many wanted to sell them in bookstores.
(b) Many wanted a dictionary for helping immigrants.
(c) Many wanted a dictionary for the English language in its entirety.
(d) Schools made more demands on scholars to make a new dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
2. How old was Lucy when she died?
3. When was Minor born?
4. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
5. Who heard the three shots fired in the beginning of the book?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)