|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what disease did William's mother die?
(a) Lyme's disease.
(d) Typhoid fever.
2. On what holiday did Dr. Minor arrive in London in the opening of Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
(a) Fourth of July.
(b) Guy Fawkes Day.
3. In what year did Dr. Minor arrive in London?
4. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
5. What was the driving force behind Minor's spiral into "lust, madness, and perdition"?
(a) The drug culture of Ceylon.
(b) The women of Ceylon.
(c) The gambling scene in Ceylon.
(d) The constant moving of his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe the words in the early English dictionaries in Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters?
2. England's power grew, and it felt embarrassed for not studying its language. Why did citizens want a proper dictionary?
3. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
4. In what area of New London does the story open?
5. How many years did it take to complete the Oxford English Dictionary?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)