|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Gathering Earth's Daughters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area of Ceylon did the Minors set up their residence in 1834?
2. How were Minor's and Murray's families similar?
(a) They both ignored each man as a child.
(b) They were both poor.
(c) They were both deeply pious.
(d) They did not have a father figure.
3. Murray was born next to the border of _________.
4. What was the name of Murray's first wife?
(a) Julia Filmoore.
(b) Eliza Valant.
(c) Lucy Javier.
(d) Maggie Scott.
5. In what century did demand for dictionaries increase?
(a) The 14th.
(b) The 16th.
(c) The 15th.
(d) The 17th.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the definitive quotes show in the Oxford English Dictionary?
2. What did Mr. Trench argue about the major dictionaries available at the time?
3. Who was the most famous editor of the Old English Dictionary?
4. According to Mr. Trench, who approved of the global spread of the English language?
5. What two words did the author use to describe the Minor family's beliefs?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)