|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Entering the Lists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote A Dictionary of the English Language?
(a) John Samuel.
(b) Samual Jackson.
(c) James Johnson.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
2. How did the author describe Murray's instructions in the beginning of Chapter 7, Entering the Lists?
3. For what purpose was Murray asked to go to Oxford?
(a) To speak with the president of Oxford University.
(b) To speak to the Oxford Publishing delegates.
(c) To speak with the dean of Oxford University.
(d) To speak with the residents of Oxford.
4. Murray was born next to the border of _________.
5. Describe Minor's routine for writing his first book.
(a) He would read each and every word of the book five times before moving to the next.
(b) He would read every word, line-by-line, writing down anything of interest.
(c) He would read the lines out loud to see if they flowed.
(d) He would read random lines from the book to nurses in the ward and ask their advice for each chapter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Minor feel about the rules being sent to him by Minor?
2. How have many described the language of the Oxford English Dictionary?
3. How did Murray spend most of his childhood?
4. What thoughts did Minor have once he received the rules?
5. In what century did some Latin-English dictionaries began to appear?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)