|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Entering the Lists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Minor, every word would possibly be a ______ now that he was beginning his work on the dictionary.
2. Many critics find the Oxford English Dictionary to be ______________.
(a) Strange and racist.
(b) Racist and sexist.
(c) Ridiculous and sexist.
(d) Thoughtless and ridiculous.
3. Where was Minor born?
(b) Sri Lanka.
(c) New Hampshire.
4. The Oxford Dictionary was comprised of _____________volumes.
5. What was the driving force behind Minor's spiral into "lust, madness, and perdition"?
(a) The women of Ceylon.
(b) The drug culture of Ceylon.
(c) The gambling scene in Ceylon.
(d) The constant moving of his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
2. In Chapter 2, the author gives a detailed description of what word?
3. Lucy was born to the Minors __________after William's birth.
4. How were Minor's and Murray's families similar?
5. What kind of Christianity did the Murray family follow?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)