|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Entering the Lists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality did many people who worked on the Oxford English Dictionary admire in Minor?
(a) Love of words.
(b) Sense of patience.
(d) Zest for life.
2. How did people contact the Philological Society in order to submit new words to the new dictionary?
(a) By telegraph.
(b) In person at the library.
(c) By telephone.
(d) By letter.
3. According to the author, in what year did Minor complete his first word list?
4. How many supplements of the Oxford English Dictionary came out after the original?
5. What time span did the author use to describe the length of time Minor took to complete his first word list?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the act of sending the rules to Minor symbolize to him?
2. How old was Lucy when she died?
3. How did the author describe Murray's instructions in the beginning of Chapter 7, Entering the Lists?
4. In what year did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
5. What was the idea behind the Philological Society?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)