|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Entering the Lists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Minor family came to the United States only a decade after what group of people?
(a) King Louis XII's missionaries.
(b) Native Americans.
(c) Spanish Conquistadors.
(d) The Pilgrims.
2. How did Minor feel about the rules being sent to him by Minor?
3. What two words did the author use to describe the Minor family's beliefs?
(a) "Highly cynical."
(b) "Lightly sarcastic."
(c) "Muscularly evangelical."
(d) "Founderingly heavy."
4. When was the project to create the first Oxford English Dictionary commissioned?
(a) In the 1860's.
(b) In the 1850's.
(c) In the 1840's.
(d) In the 1830's.
5. What would the definitive quotes show in the Oxford English Dictionary?
(a) What kinds of words they were.
(b) How words could be combined.
(c) How words had been used over centuries.
(d) Where these words were most used.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did people contact the Philological Society in order to submit new words to the new dictionary?
2. How old was Lucy when she died?
3. Where did the making of the Oxford English Dictionary begin?
4. What thoughts did Minor have once he received the rules?
5. Where was Dr. Minor's house located in London?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)