|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the "Arab oil embargo" gas princes rose how much in the United States?
(a) 76 percent
(b) 12 percent
(c) 3 percent
(d) 40 percent
2. How much of the world's reserves were in the Persian Gulf in 1990?
(a) One quarter
(b) Ten percent
(c) One half
3. The economist E. F. Schumacher called for what?
(a) Continued use of a finite resource
(b) Alternatives to high-cost coal
(c) A dependence on Arab oil
(d) A short-term view of the world's energy needs
4. The global battle of oil production intensified what rivalry?
(c) Britain-United States
5. Permanent oil platforms had to withstand waves that were how high?
(a) 90 feet
(b) 20 feet
(c) 60 feet
(d) 45 feet
6. The summer of 1990 was marked by euphoria over the end of what?
(a) The Iraqi War
(b) The Cold War
(c) The Gulf War
(d) The Vietnam War
7. How much was the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline to cost?
(a) 45 million
(b) 2 billion
(c) 250 million
(d) 10 billion
8. What was central in the rise of Arab nationalism?
(a) The Shah of Iraq
(b) The attack on Egypt
(c) Western culture
9. Nixon imposed what in 1971 to fight inflation?
(a) Gas taxes
(b) Income taxes
(c) Oil price controls
(d) Carbon embargo
10. What was the most competitive market in the world in the 1950s-60s?
(d) South America
11. The grounding of the Exxon Valdez in Prince William Sound happened in what year?
12. The prices of oil did what between 1970 and 1973?
(a) Remained the same
(c) Decreased by 10 percent
(d) Fell sharply
13. Which country wanted to attended OPEC's 1986 meeting as an observer?
(d) United States
14. Who did Carter admit to the US for medical treatment?
(b) Saddam Hussein
(c) The Shah
15. What project did Nixon introduce to make the US less oil dependent?
(a) Project Arabia
(b) Project Independence
(c) Project Freedom
(d) Project Eagle
Short Answer Questions
1. "Sheikh" Ahmed Zaki Yamani was whose protege?
2. Oil producing countries were assigned quotas with what target in mind per day?
3. Enrico Mattei did what to change the oil situation in the Middle East?
4. Which oil company was most dependent on Iran?
5. In 1986, how many oil ministers met in Saudi Arabia and agreed on $18 per barrel plus a new quota system?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)