|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "Arab oil embargo" consisted of what?
(a) Western countries boycotting Arab oil
(b) Arab companies seizing control of foreign oil fields in Arab countries
(c) The ban on the import of oil to Arab countries
(d) The total ban on the export of oil to the U.S. and the Netherlands
2. What was Abdullah Tariki's nickname?
(b) Shah of Petroleum
(c) Red Sheikh
(d) Oil King
3. In what year was OPEC founded?
4. What was a military action to capture Abadan that the British considered?
(a) Plan Y
(b) Plan Arabia
(c) Plan Fraser
(d) Plan Oil
5. Permanent oil platforms had to withstand waves that were how high?
(a) 45 feet
(b) 20 feet
(c) 90 feet
(d) 60 feet
6. The prices of oil did what between 1970 and 1973?
(a) Remained the same
(b) Decreased by 10 percent
(c) Fell sharply
7. Which country did not have a quota?
(d) Saudi Arabia
8. The Soviet Union invaded which country?
9. Who undercut Middle Eastern oil?
(b) The Soviet Union
(d) The United States
10. Who took over leadership in Libya?
(a) Muammar al-Qaddafi
(b) David Barran
(c) Abdullah Tariki
(d) Armand Hammer
11. New York City restricted what in 1965?
(a) Gasoline fueled cars
(d) Coal burning
12. Which country placed troops in the Canal Zone to protect it for oil purposes?
13. OPEC lifted the embargo in what year?
14. The American hostages were held until what happened?
(a) Carter left office
(b) The US invaded Egypt
(c) The OPEC annual conference
(d) Moscow threatened Iran
15. What is a giant oil field called?
(c) Big Dipper
(d) Roman Empire
Short Answer Questions
1. Which television show symbolized the greatest boom in history during the 1980s?
2. Who was put in charge of the Iranian National Oil Company?
3. What did 100,000 people celebrate in 1970 in the United States?
4. Who delivered the first-ever presidential address on energy in the United States?
5. What cut the travel time between England and India in half?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)