|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of the War of the Roses, how much of the English population lived in towns and cities?
(a) One tenth.
(b) One twentieth.
(c) One quarter.
(d) One half.
2. Who was Richard of Gloucester's son?
(a) Edward of Middleham.
(b) Edward V.
(c) Richard of York.
(d) Henry Tudor.
3. Why did the Queen Dowager's continued stay in sanctuary embarrass Richard?
(a) It implied she was unsafe because of Richard.
(b) She decried his name and threatened him.
(c) It meant he could not confess his love to her.
(d) She was suffering from a mental illness.
4. Who did Clarence, King Edward IV's brother, marry?
(a) Isabella, the Earl of Warwick's daughter.
(b) Maria, the Spanish Infanta.
(c) Josephine, Louis XI's daughter.
(d) Elizabeth Wydville.
5. Who was Henry Stafford forced to marry?
(a) Elizabeth York.
(b) Mary Tudor.
(c) Juana of Portugal.
(d) Katherine Wydville.
6. How did contemporary magnates feel about the Wydvilles?
(a) They had no feeling one way or another.
(b) They supported the faction, which was very popular.
(c) They disliked the faction, thinking them common.
(d) No one knew the Wydvilles at court.
7. Who was sent to live with Gloucester's wife, this person's maternal aunt?
(a) The Earl of Warwick.
(b) The Duke of York.
(c) The Marquess of Dorset.
(d) The Duke of Buckingham.
8. What group was appointed to watch over the Prince of Wales until he reached adulthood?
(a) A legal team of Parliament lawyers.
(b) A group of German mercenaries.
(c) A Council including the Queen, Richard, and Clarence.
(d) An elite team of knights including Arthur and Lancelot.
9. With whom did Warwick ally himself to invade England in 1470?
(a) The Spanish Infanta.
(b) King Edward IV.
(c) King Louis XI.
(d) Margaret of Anjou.
10. What significant person died at the Battler of Tewkesbury?
(a) King Edward IV.
(b) Prince Edward of Lancaster.
(c) King Henry VI.
(d) The Earl of Warwick.
11. What do most commentators and historians agree Edward IV's marriage was based upon?
(a) True love.
(b) Mutual respect.
12. What did Gloucester tell the councillors about Hastings's execution?
(a) He said Hastings had planned to murder him in the council meeting.
(b) He said Hastings had planned to kidnap the king.
(c) He said Hastings had planned to usurp the throne.
(d) He said Hastings had planned to marry Elizabeth Wydville.
13. At age forty, how is Edward IV described physically by his contemporaries?
(a) He is described as tall and thin, extremely pious and eating little.
(b) He is described as overweight, partaking in too many of life's excesses.
(c) He is described as short and dark, with muscular shoulders and legs.
(d) He is described as slim and willowy, almost ladylike.
14. How did Hastings react when Richard confided his plans to him?
(a) Hastings flees north to Scotland.
(b) Hastings immediately plans to seize the throne for himself.
(c) Hastings was shocked and warned the king.
(d) Hastings supported him in usurping the throne.
15. What title did Edward IV give Richard just before his death?
(a) The Lord Protector of the Realm.
(b) The High Admiral.
(c) Interim King Richard III.
(d) Duke of Warwick.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gloucester and Buckingham arrived at Northampton, where was the King?
2. What charge did Warwick and Clarence try to level against Edward IV?
3. Why did Lord Howard support Gloucester?
4. Why did the Wydvilles want to crown Edward V immediately?
5. How many months was Queen Elizabeth forced to stay in sanctuary with her children?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)