|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kate's father dare Clive Borden to do?
2. What does Borden do at Angier's show to wreak havoc?
3. At what age did Borden begin performing alone on stage?
4. What material does Alfred say is perfect for a magician's prop, due to its often overlooked quiet strength?
5. Who did the head of the traveling magic show in 1972 write Alfred a letter of introduction to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Katherine say to Andrew that utterly stuns him? Why is he so surprised?
2. How does the narration change in Section 2, and what does it focus on?
3. How does Angier meet Julia Fensell, and how does their relationship progress?
4. What are the three steps to a magic trick, as Borden explains in his journal?
5. What is odd about the package Andrew receives from his father?
6. How does Borden and Angier's feud begin?
7. What is Andrew's profession and where has it taken him as the novel opens?
8. What is the story of the Chinese magician that Alfred shares?
9. What is the story Borden tells in Section 4, Part 2 about how Olive Wescombe was hired, and how is it different than the story given earlier?
10. What happens when Borden sneaks backstage during Angier's show in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role was the supernatural play in The Prestige?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah and Julia are important women in Borden and Angier's lives, as their wives. Compare and contrast these two women and how they respond to having master illusionists as husbands.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Bordon's story of the Chinese magician Ching Ling Foo can be considered a metaphor for both Borden and Angier.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)