|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Borden attended Angier's show in Part 4, Section 2, what did he notice about Angier's face?
(a) He had a black eye.
(b) He was wincing in pain.
(c) It was bright red.
(d) It was sallow.
2. How does Borden feel about the object he finds beneath the stage at Angier's show in Section 5, Part 2?
3. How did Borden begin in the magic world?
(a) By learning magic from a private tutor.
(b) By performing on a street corner and accepting people's spare change.
(c) By making up his own tricks and performing for free in a local pub.
(d) By building cabinets for other magicians and assisting them on stage.
4. What sort of discussion did the adults have in the story recalled in Section 6, Part 3?
5. Who fed Kate's fears of something in her house when she was little?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Olive's last name?
2. Who was known as Le Professeur de Magie?
3. Who entertained Nicholas for hours?
4. What is Julia Fensell's profession when she and Angier first meet?
5. Who is the package from that Andrew receives at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of the Chinese magician that Alfred shares?
2. Did either Borden or Angier ever try to reconcile their feud? If so, what happened?
3. How does Borden and Olive's relationship change in Section 4, Part 2?
4. What does Angier reveal about his childhood in his journal entries in Section 6, Part 3?
5. How does the narration change in Section 2, and what does it focus on?
6. What is Andrew's profession and where has it taken him as the novel opens?
7. Andrew finds out it was not the church who contacted his newspaper about a story. Who actually contacted Andrew's newspaper, and why?
8. What does Lady Katherine say to Andrew that utterly stuns him? Why is he so surprised?
9. What does Kate believe about the young boy who her father killed?
10. Describe Angier's first attempts at performing illusions on stage.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)