|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the object of gaining control of a company and sell off many of its divisions?
2. What benefit did Milken arrange for his low grade investment group for the next 14 years?
3. What were Milken's results the first year in his new position at Drexel Burnham?
4. What was the average net worth of members of Milken's core group after being with him five years?
5. Why did Drexel Burnham Lambert agree to let Milken move his operation at a cost of millions of dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Carl Icahn's problems after his successful TWA takeover?
2. Describe Drexel's part in the National Can hostile takeover.
3. How did Fred Joseph begin his goal of making Drexel a top notch firm in fifteen years?
4. Discuss Carl Icahn's expertise in proxy fights.
5. Describe how Michael Milken is introduced in the book.
6. How did HITS come about and what was it?
7. What were some complications of the move to Century city for Drexel?
8. How did they get around the SEC bond registration rules?
9. Describe the National Can Company takeover.
10. Why was Milken not employed by some of the biggest Wall Street firms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on how manipulation of big business affects the common citizen. With mergers and acquisitions many people end up losing their jobs. When financial gambles go wrong, people's life savings are often affected. Your paper should discuss the responsibility of wealthy business people for the public welfare at large.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on personal values. Milken and his wife lived modestly and they did not flaunt their wealth. Milken appeared to be more interested in the game of making money than in the money itself. In your essay discuss what you think the relationship of money should be to one's personal values.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on racial and religious discrimination. Using Milken's problems in his early years because he was Jewish, express your opinion about how discrimination overlooks individual value by blanket bias against whole groups of people.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)