|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was much of the money coming from for takeovers in the 1980s?
(a) fake junk bonds imitating Milken's bonds
(b) big blind pools that Milken would raise for his customers
(c) foreign investors with extra capital
(d) the break up and sale of raided company divisions
2. What was Drexel's only real competition by the 1980s?
(a) Barnes and Noble
(b) Lehman Brothers
(c) Merrill Lynch
(d) Morgan Stanley
3. What did Milken and Joseph devise to keep business flowing during the recession?
(a) ways of trading abroad
(b) finance services for the largest clients
(c) different kinds of instruments
(d) better communications with clients
4. What was Milken's goal by the early 1970s?
(a) He wanted to move into high-yield bonds.
(b) He wanted to have his own firm.
(c) He wanted to own Drexel Burnham.
(d) He wanted low-yield bonds to be its own specialty.
5. To troubled businesses, what was Drexel's unregistered exchange offer?
(a) creating additional Chinese paper
(b) trading under the table
(c) lowering their interest rates to businesses
(d) a way of using stocks or bonds to meet the interest obligations
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dominated the market in junk bond funds from 1978 on?
2. Keeping New York office hours, at what time did they begin work in L. A.?
3. What government regulation made it easier for multiple mergers in the 1980s?
4. When he heard on the radio about a change in options to buy stocks, what did Milken do that saved Drexel Burnham Lambert?
5. By 1986, who was the largest stockholder in Drexel Burnham Lambert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Milken wanted to move his operation to Los Angeles.
2. Explain why Milken was the main subject of the Barbizon Plaza meeting.
3. Give examples of people other than his staff who become quite wealthy following Milken's direction.
4. How did Milken help Drexel on his drive from New York to California?
5. Explain the beginnings of blind pools arranged by Milken.
6. What was the subject of the meeting at the Barbizon Plaza in New York held by Fred Joseph?
7. Why did Thomas Spiegel come under investigation by the FHLBB?
8. Write about the relationship between Milken and Steve Wynn of the gambling industry.
9. Explain Milken's relationship with his staff.
10. Tell something about Fred Joseph and how he became known at Drexel.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)