|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Folly say that babies have that rewards those who look after them?
2. What is unknown in the place of Folly's birth?
3. Folly states that a man must love whom in order to love anyone?
4. According to Folly, who shows the way to perfect wisdom?
5. By Stoic definition, what does folly mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Erasmus ask More to be a champion of Folly?
2. Why does Folly claim to be a god?
3. How does Folly say that Jupiter bestows passion and reason to man?
4. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
5. In his Prefatory Letter, did Erasmus admit he wrote Praise of Folly with sarcasm?
6. What does Folly say was her effect upon her audience?
7. Why is Folly dressed in unaccustomed garb?
8. Does Folly have a good opinion of the children of wise men?
9. Why does Folly say that she is necessary for war?
10. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Folly spends some time on her "praise" of the follies of the Roman Catholic Church. List two members of the church and explain why they are foolish.
Essay Topic 2
Both Erasmus in his Prefatory Letter and Folly in her speech appeal to precedents. Compare the two passages. What is the purpose of each? Whom does Erasmus reference? Whom does "Folly" reference?
Essay Topic 3
Erasmus began his book with a Prefatory Letter to his friend More. What was the purpose of this letter? What arguments does he make in it?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)