|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "Happy the states where either philosophers are kings or kings are philosophers"?
2. What does Folly state is necessary for friendship?
3. According to Folly, what is the seed and source of all deeds which win praise?
4. Which poet wrote, "For ignorance provides the happiest life"?
5. Folly dresses in unaccustomed garb because she is imitating whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his Prefatory Letter, did Erasmus admit he wrote Praise of Folly with sarcasm?
2. What does Folly think of people who hire someone else to praise themselves?
3. What does Folly say was her effect upon her audience?
4. Why does Folly consider her presence to be essential to friendship?
5. How does Folly describe her reputation?
6. Why did Erasmus ask More to be a champion of Folly?
7. Describe Folly's birthplace.
8. How does Folly say that Jupiter bestows passion and reason to man?
9. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
10. In his Prefatory Letter, why did Erasmus marvel at the sensitivity of present-day ears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss references to marriage in the Praise of Folly. Were Folly's parents married? What is Folly's role in marriage? Does Erasmus have a favorable view of marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Does Erasmus display Self-love? Consider the passages in which Folly speaks about Erasmus's interests and occupations. Support your answer from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Define the character Folly. Describe her attributes and benefits. What are three things she gives to mankind?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)