|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Folly consider her sister?
2. Folly states that not wanting more than your share of wisdom is a true sign of what?
3. According to Folly, who would be disagreeable and disliked if not graced by her divine powers?
4. Who does Folly say makes men satisfied with themselves?
5. To whom did Erasmus dedicate The Praise of Folly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Folly dressed in unaccustomed garb?
2. How does Folly describe her parentage?
3. How does Folly say that Jupiter bestows passion and reason to man?
4. Why did Erasmus dedicate his book to Thomas More?
5. How does Folly explain that Self-love is related to her?
6. How does Folly describe her reputation?
7. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
8. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
9. According to Folly, do philosophers make good kings?
10. How long did Folly say she spent writing her speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Folly maintains that she bears great similarity to Christianity. Give three of her reasons and discuss whether her praise is genuine or not.
Essay Topic 2
The statement is made that only fools are allowed to speak the truth without giving offense. Is this why Erasmus used Folly? Do you think he offended people? Does Folly speak the truth? What is one example of when she does and one example of when she does not?
Essay Topic 3
Define the characteristic folly. Who displays folly, according to the narrator, Folly? In your opinion, is folly admirable?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)