|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who needs help desire?
2. How does Lawrence begin his life?
3. Where does Lawrence seek to please God?
4. What else does he reject of the church?
5. What does Lawrence say about one's inclination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can someone really sense the need he or she has for God?
2. Why does Lawrence put more pressure on the man the commune with God?
3. How does Lawrence view himself, which reflects his view that God is his judge?
4. How does Lawrence see God? How does he see himself, compared to God?
5. What does Lawrence tell the recipient of Letter 9?
6. How old is Lawrence at this point in the book? How old is the to whom he is writing?
7. How does Lawrence close the letter?
8. How does Letter 6 begin?
9. What last advice does Lawrence give the man?
10. How does Lawrence personify the soul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence discusses faith.
Part 1) What does Lawrence say about faith? Why is faith important?
Part 2) How does Lawrence's view of faith reinforce his other beliefs?
Part 3) What are the steps to spiritual fulfillment? What is faith's connection to other steps in the process of spiritual fulfillment?
Essay Topic 2
Pure, unselfish love governs all Lawrence's actions.
Part 1) What is an example of pure, unselfish love? How does this govern all of Lawrence's actions?
Part 2) How does this attitude affect his daily activities and decisions? How might your own life be changed by adopting this belief?
Part 3) Do you believe that one can love purely and unselfishly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
God's presence is the Christian's job.
Part 1) How is this the Christian's job? Why is this the Christian's job?
Part 2) What does this say about the importance of God's presence? What does this also say about the importance of work?
Part 3) Is there a point where this job could end? Why or why not?
Part 4) Is this the only job of a Christian? Why or why not? If there are others jobs required for Christians, what might those be? What might Lawrence think about these jobs? Why?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)