|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does any new advice remain under the sun?
2. How does Lawrence begin his life?
3. For Lawrence, the presence of God exists how?
4. Does Lawrence's Christian life begin the way these people explain?
5. How does Lawrence learn God's plan for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lawrence tell the recipient of Letter 8 about new advice?
2. How does Letter 9 begin?
3. What last advice does Lawrence give the man?
4. How does Lawrence close the letter?
5. Why does Lawrence have a sense of impending doom?
6. How is Lawrence's Christian path different from many spiritual advisers' descriptions?
7. What does Lawrence tell this man?
8. How does Lawrence sense God in his life?
9. How can someone really sense the need he or she has for God?
10. How does Lawrence handle sin? What is sin, according to Lawrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God's presence is the Christian's job.
Part 1) How is this the Christian's job? Why is this the Christian's job?
Part 2) What does this say about the importance of God's presence? What does this also say about the importance of work?
Part 3) Is there a point where this job could end? Why or why not?
Part 4) Is this the only job of a Christian? Why or why not? If there are others jobs required for Christians, what might those be? What might Lawrence think about these jobs? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence does not pray for his ill friend's healing.
Part 1) Why does he not pray for his ill friend's healing? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) For what does he pray? Why is this more important than his friend's healing?
Part 3) How does this alter your attitude about suffering and illness? Is this attitude more helpful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence's path to Christianity differs from many other spiritual advisers.
Part 1) What is the path described by other spiritual advisers? What is Lawrence's path?
Part 2) Why are the two paths different? Can they both be right? Why or why not? Is one better than another? Why or why not?
Part 3) What do the differences between these two paths reveal about Lawrence's relationship with God and reinforce about his religious beliefs?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)