|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aids in the development of a disciplined mind?
(d) Honest confession to God.
2. When does one need to focus?
(a) In times of devotion and prayer.
(b) When God is present.
(c) In church.
(d) Around temptations.
3. What needs attention for one's whole life?
(a) The opening of the mind.
(b) The disciplining of one's mind.
(c) Making the mind peaceful.
(d) Understanding the mind.
4. What does Lawrence see as a key to his happiness and success?
(a) Beginning life in the need for attention phase.
(b) Beginning life in the love motivation phase.
(c) Beginning life in the interest in God's desires phase.
(d) Beginning life in the fear of punishment phase.
5. By what did Lawrence feel hindered?
(a) A sense of impending doom.
(b) A sense of loneliness.
(c) A sense of fear of death.
(d) A sense of confusion.
6. How does Lawrence describe God as ruler?
(a) Merciful and benevolent.
(b) Harsh and cruel.
(c) Sweet and kind.
(d) Demanding and fearsome.
7. What does this revelation do for Lawrence?
(a) It fills his life with complications.
(b) It fills his life with a renewed sense of peace.
(c) It fills his life with more worries.
(d) It fills him with fear.
8. How does Lawrence learn God's plan for him?
(a) He dreams it.
(b) He sees it in a sign.
(c) With much prayer and contemplation.
(d) He talks to a priest.
9. Whose law does Lawrence break?
(b) His country's.
(d) The Church's.
10. According to Lawrence, "We may make a chapel out of __________."
(a) Our friends.
(b) Our heart.
(c) Our home.
(d) the Church.
11. What does Lawrence reject of the church?
(a) The routines.
(b) The priesthood.
(c) The creeds.
(d) The Pope.
12. How does Lawrence view himself?
(a) As a prince.
(b) As a servant.
(c) As a slave.
(d) As a wretched beggar.
13. How does Lawrence end the letter?
(a) With thanks to his friend.
(b) With a prayer for his friend.
(c) With thanks to God for blessing his life.
(d) With love and peace for the recipient.
14. Does any new advice remain under the sun?
(c) Probably not.
(d) Most likely.
15. What does Lawrence finally decide regarding his love for God?
(a) A positive outcome lessens his love for God.
(b) A positive outcome does not lessen his love for God.
(c) A negative outcome lessens his love for God.
(d) A negative outcome does not lessen his love for God.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lawrence view himself?
2. What does Lawrence say about how a Christian's life begins, according to these people?
3. What kind of prayer life does Lawrence recommend?
4. Where does Lawrence seek to please God?
5. What anxiety did these negative feelings bring?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)