|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lawrence end this letter?
(a) Thanking the recipient.
(b) Praying for himself.
(c) Asking for prayers.
(d) Thanking God.
2. By what did Lawrence feel hindered?
(a) A sense of impending doom.
(b) A sense of fear of death.
(c) A sense of confusion.
(d) A sense of loneliness.
3. With what does letter nine begin?
(a) A convesational tone.
(b) A prayer for the needy.
(c) A supplication from Brother Lawrence.
(d) A request by Brother Lawrence.
4. What does the life Lawrence suggests do to sin?
(a) It stops it.
(b) It encourages it.
(c) It hinders it.
(d) It scares it away.
5. Where does Lawrence seek to please God?
(a) In some aspects of his life.
(b) In very few aspects of life.
(c) In every aspect of life.
(d) In most aspects of life.
6. Keeping a rein on one's mind all the time helps what?
(a) Stop sinning.
(b) Get one into heaven.
(c) One attain the necessary discipline during prayer.
(d) One keep his or her faith.
7. What vow does Brother Lawrence make?
(a) He will one day see his letters published.
(b) He will become a priest.
(c) He will never see the face of God.
(d) He cannot imagine life apart from the presence of God.
8. What does Lawrence admonish the recipient to do?
(a) Help his sister in need.
(b) Not waste time that he could use for serving the Lord.
(c) Give up on this woman.
(d) Put all his energy into helping this person.
9. How does Lawrence begin letter six?
(a) By saying a prayer.
(b) By asking a question.
(c) In a conversational way.
(d) In an unusual way.
10. What else does he reject of the church?
(a) Sola scriptura.
(c) Sola fide.
(d) Scripted prayers.
11. For whom does Lawrence advise the recipient to live?
(a) His country.
(c) His family.
12. What needs attention for one's whole life?
(a) The disciplining of one's mind.
(b) Making the mind peaceful.
(c) Understanding the mind.
(d) The opening of the mind.
13. Does the recipient of the first letter honor Lawrence's wishes?
(d) Not at first.
14. For how long does this extended metaphor continue?
(a) For two paragraphs
(b) For a few sentences.
(c) For a paragraph.
(d) For several paragraphs.
15. Should the answer to number 113 be done violently or out of habit?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lawrence, according to the author's note?
2. What can times of fasting or abstinence express?
3. What does Lawrence say about one's inclination?
4. What does Lawrence reject of the church?
5. What anxiety did these negative feelings bring?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)