|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lawrence finally decide regarding his faith?
(a) A negative outcome does not lessen his faith in God.
(b) A positive outcome lessens his faith in God.
(c) A negative outcome lessens his faith in God.
(d) A positive outcome does not lessen his faith in God.
2. For how long does this extended metaphor continue?
(a) For a paragraph.
(b) For a few sentences.
(c) For two paragraphs
(d) For several paragraphs.
3. What does Lawrence finally decide regarding his love for God?
(a) A positive outcome does not lessen his love for God.
(b) A positive outcome lessens his love for God.
(c) A negative outcome lessens his love for God.
(d) A negative outcome does not lessen his love for God.
4. When does one need to focus?
(a) In church.
(b) When God is present.
(c) In times of devotion and prayer.
(d) Around temptations.
5. How does Lawrence define sin?
(a) As anything contrary to the desires of the Church.
(b) As anything contrary to God's plan for his life.
(c) As anything that hurts others.
(d) As anything that goes against the Ten Commandments.
6. According to Lawrence, "We may make a chapel out of __________."
(a) Our friends.
(b) the Church.
(c) Our home.
(d) Our heart.
7. For Lawrence, the presence of God exists how?
(b) In his heart.
(c) In the church.
(d) Nearly as a tangible thing.
8. For how long did Lawrence feel hindered by negative feelings?
(a) For a time.
(b) For a second.
(c) For many years.
(d) For a month.
9. In the opening of letter two, whose ideas does Lawrence describe?
(b) The Pope's.
(c) Many spiritual advisers.
(d) His own.
10. How does Lawrence begin letter six?
(a) By asking a question.
(b) By saying a prayer.
(c) In an unusual way.
(d) In a conversational way.
11. What vow does Brother Lawrence make?
(a) He will one day see his letters published.
(b) He will never see the face of God.
(c) He cannot imagine life apart from the presence of God.
(d) He will become a priest.
12. Who is the recipient trying to help?
(b) An ill neighbor.
(c) His friend.
(d) A fellow sister.
13. What kind of prayer life does Lawrence recommend?
(a) One of continual prayer.
(b) One of quiet prayer.
(c) One of secret prayer.
(d) One of strong prayer.
14. What needs attention for one's whole life?
(a) Understanding the mind.
(b) The disciplining of one's mind.
(c) Making the mind peaceful.
(d) The opening of the mind.
15. How can one get to know this person?
(a) By reading the Bible.
(b) By spending much time in meditation on God.
(c) By meeting with a counselor.
(d) By talking to a priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does letter nine begin?
2. How does Lawrence see God?
3. Despite one's desperate needs, where does God remain?
4. How old is the person Brother Lawrence addresses?
5. Keeping a rein on one's mind all the time helps what?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)