|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of "Index/Table of Contents Exercise?"
(a) To learn how to index.
(b) To outline a book.
(c) To understand how books are published.
(d) To create characterization.
2. This section requires students to create a poem consisting of a minimum of how many lines?
3. The author also seeks to create what item in the students?
4. Who wrote "Block, Pillar, Slab, and Beam?"
5. Who wrote "The Shell Game?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of song is "Shall We Dance?"
2. How many poems must the students write in this exercise?
3. Most of the exercises in this section are:
4. The author tells students not to be afraid of what item?
5. "Finish This!" uses a poem by what famed female poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author choose to use "A Lewis Carroll Carol" as a learning tool?
2. What should students use as a basis for writing a poem in the section titled "Lyric Poetry"?
3. What is the purpose of the exercises in "Cut and Shuffle?" What technique is used?
4. What is a nesting rhyme? How does it compare to a diminishing rhyme? Explain the technique.
5. What is an "imitative fallacy?" How is it used in poetry and by whom?
6. The author claims that certain types of metaphors will come into being. Explain the metaphors and give examples.
7. Explain the tool used in "In a Dark Room: Photography and Revision" and how they can help students in their work.
8. What is Free Verse Lineation? What is the purpose of using it in an exercise?
9. What are the two basic structures used in "Truth in Strangeness: Accidents, Chance and the Non-rational?"
10. How important is it for students to choose a simple object for a Definition Poem?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)