|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dana Gioia discusses which topic?
(a) Lyric poetry.
(d) Free verse.
2. What adjective may be used to describe this section?
3. What is the purpose of "Jump Starting the Dead Poem"?
(a) Creating new poems from old ones.
(b) Starting over with a new perspective.
(c) Critiquing others' work.
(d) Resurrecting a published poem.
4. "Smash Palace" teaches students the importance of which item?
5. In doing this exercise, students are asked to write about which topic?
(a) Personal opinions.
(b) Relevance to the poem.
(c) Third person point of view.
(d) Word qualities.
6. Who wrote "The Fill-in-the-Blanks or Definition Poem?"
7. The author refers to this section as being:
(c) Free form.
8. Students are encouraged to use unusual words through which method?
(a) Writing in Pig Latin.
(b) Adding prefixes and suffixes.
(c) Creating adjectives.
(d) Googling "unusual words."
9. What are homonyms?
(a) Words that sound the same.
(b) Words with the same meaning but different spellings.
(c) A style of poetry involving people.
(d) Words that are opposites.
10. "Shall We Dance?" refers to what technique?
(b) Body movement.
(d) Musical rhythm.
11. How many poems must the students write in this exercise?
12. "Intelligence Test" was written by Turner. What is the author's first name?
13. In "Free-Verse Lineation," what is the format used in the original poem?
(a) Free verse.
14. Who wrote "Opposites: The Attraction of Titles?"
15. Words are categorized using what base?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two types of endings?
2. In this section, students will create what item?
3. "Twenty Little Poetry Projects" offers what item to students?
4. "Block, Pillar, Slab, and Beam" deals with what topic?
5. How many poems will result from this group of exercises?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)