|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marina find under her pillow that night?
2. Why does Six use clippers on the others?
3. Why does Marina always pack away a few things when she is cleaning up after lunch?
4. What statue is in the background of the landscape she painted?
5. Where is the motel that Six, John and Bernie Kosar are in right now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marina stun Sister Dora into silence?
2. How does Six escape the prison and the Mogs?
3. What is one thing Marina does in her cave?
4. What does Marina do right after church and how does that help her stock her cave?
5. How does Ella earn her first punishment from Sister Dora and what happens?
6. What happened when Marina showed Adelina the third ring on Marina's leg?
7. How many Mogadorians capture Six and Katarina and what happens to them?
8. What catches Six's attention of the things John finds in his chest?
9. Where is Marina and how does she fit in with the group of children there?
10. How does Marina discover her second legacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Power of Six" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Power of Six".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "The Power of Six". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Power of Six". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Power of Six" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Power of Six" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)