|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marina tell Adelina as she is helping Marina get ready for mass?
2. What did John see in a vision around the neck of the leader of the Mogs?
3. What is Marina's second legacy?
4. What do the ringing of the bells at the convent announce?
5. What choice will Marina have to make when she turns eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are John and the others training?
2. What is one thing Marina does in her cave?
3. Where have John and the others gone and where are they staying?
4. How does Marina discover her second legacy?
5. What bothers Marina about the stranger in the cafe?
6. What would happen if the police radios in information about stopping John and the others, and what does the policeman assume about them?
7. How does Marina stun Sister Dora into silence?
8. What happened when Marina showed Adelina the third ring on Marina's leg?
9. How many Mogadorians capture Six and Katarina and what happens to them?
10. What does Marina do right after church and how does that help her stock her cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Power of Six" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the setting and world of "The Power of Six" to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you possess no supernatural abilities? Explain your response.
3. In which world would you rather live in if you possess legacy abilities and the Mogadarians are the rulers of the world where you could practice your powers? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
John Smith is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in "The Power of Six" and in the other books in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Potter who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)